Writing Prompt: Standstill

Writing Prompt: Standstill

A Story by Debbie Barry
"

An impromptu essay about temptation and consequences. This essay is intended as writing practice.

"


Standstill

"Tweak" looks likew such a small word, representing such a small change to be made in something, but it is a deceptive word. A tweak is only small in the first moment it is done. After that moment, the impact of a teak grows and spreads. It has the power to impact total strangers in another part of the world, given time.

Keeping that in mind, what small, insignificant change would I make in my life, or in my immediate environment? Honestly, despite the problems and flaws in my life, I would tweak nothing. I would not want to risk losing sources of happiness and joy in my life, and in the lives of others, by second-guessing the things that have happened in my past. Do I have regrets? A few, certainly, but they have been instrumental in making me the person I am today. Would I tweak the past so that I did not wash out of Basic Training? So my first marriage did not happen, or did not end in divorce? So I made better choices in jobs and schooling? Somehow, impossibly, to keep from going blind? These would all be tempting, if a moment in time gave me the power to change one of them, but yielding to that temptation would change too many things, and erase too many priceless memories.

If time stopped for a moment, and I had the power, in that moment, to tweak just one thing, I would use it to add that moment to the string of moments I spend in prayer each day, and I would give thanks for one extra moment to spend worshiping my Lord, and thanking him for all the past moments that have made me who I am in this moment.

© 2017 Debbie Barry


Author's Note

Debbie Barry
Please ignore any typos, and provide feedback about structure, style, readability, etc. It was an impromptu essay, written in under half an hour, and I realize that it's only three paragraphs long (or short). Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on September 25, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017
Tags: writing, writing prompt, essay, temptation, tweak, change, prayer, consequences, abstract thinking, writer, blind

Author

Debbie Barry
Debbie Barry

Clarkston, MI



About
I live with my husband in southeastern Michigan with our two cats, Mister and Goblin. We enjoy exploring history through French and Indian War re-enactment and through medieval re-enactment in the So.. more..

Writing