Obituary for Robert D. Fletcher - Long Version

Obituary for Robert D. Fletcher - Long Version

A Story by Debbie Barry
"

This is what I wish we could run for Daddy's obituary. The one that will run in the Rutland Herald has been severely edited, to save space and cost. This version is better.

"


Robert Daniel Fletcher

 

            Robert Daniel Fletcher, known to most as Bob, died Friday, January 5, 2017, at Apple Rehab of Colchester, CT, after a long struggle with Alzheimer’s disease.  He was predeceased by his wife, Marian, in 2011, after 28 years of marriage.  He is survived by two daughters, Deborah  Barry of MI, and Patricia MacLaughlin of SC; by five step-children, Francis Lerzo of NH, Timothy Lerzo of CT, Pamela DePizzol of FL, Robert Lerzo of GA, and Alison Nelson of CT; and numerous grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.  Robert and Marian hosted high school exchange student “Ai” Chakarita Nukoolkit from Thailand in 1987 to 1988; she remained a strong presence in their lives.     

            A native of Ludlow, VT, Robert was the son of Allen M. Fletcher, Jr. and Zoa Townsend Fletcher.  He attended local schools, until he transferred to Cushing Academy in Ashburnham, MA for his final year of high school in 1943; he graduated from Cushing Academy in 1944.  He attended Middlebury College in Middlebury, VT, and Williams College in Williamstown, MA.  Robert enlisted in the US Army, and served during World War II and the Korean War.

            Robert was an industrial engineer for the Eagle Square plant of Stanley Tools in Shaftsbury, VT.  He worked at A. Brown Co., in North Bennington, VT.  After retiring, he worked as a driver for Southeast Vermont Community Action (SEVCA) until he moved to Colchester, CT in 1998.

            Robert was an active member of the choir at North Bennington Congregational Church, UCC, in North Bennington, VT, from at least the early 1970s until 1985, and then at the United Church of Ludlow, in Ludlow, VT, and later in the Colchester Federated Church, in Colchester, CT; he was active in all three churches.

            Robert became a Master Mason in the Black River-Lafayette Lodge, No. 85, Free and Accepted Masons in 1991..  He was Senior Steward of the Lodge from 1992-1996.  He served as Junior Deacon 1997-1998.  He became a member of Keystone Chapter, No. 5, Order of the Eastern Star in 1992.  He served that Chapter as Chaplain from 1993-1994, and as Worthy Patron 1995-1997.  He became a member of Mizpah Chapter, No. 40, Order of the Eastern Star in 2003.  Robert was a member of the Lions Club in Bennington, VT, and later in Ludlow, VT, for about 20 years, beginning about 1984, holding a variety of positions in each club.  He was a member of the Boy Scouts in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  He was a member of American Legion Post 36, in Ludlow, VT.  For many years, he was historian for the Fletcher Farms Foundation, in Ludlow, VT.

            The family will have a burial at Pleasant View Cemetery, Ludlow, Vermont, in June.  Memorial contributions may be made to C.A.R.E. (Comprehensive Assessment Recovery Effort), through the Masonic Grand Lodge of Vermont; donation should be sent to C.A.R.E., c/o Grand Lodge of Vermont, 49 East Road, Barre, VT 05641-5390.

 

 Editing to add a link to the obituary and guest boo:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/rutlandherald/obituary.aspx?n=robert-d-fletcher&pid=187897163







© 2018 Debbie Barry


Author's Note

Debbie Barry
I just wanted this version to be posted somewhere. There's so much more I wish I could add, but there are forms to be observed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Debbie this is an excellent write up on an admirable man. At least that is my take away after reading this. I can understand why you would want the level of detail in this, as when grandchildren or great grandchildren wonder more about who he was, they will have your wonderful record to look back on. Again, my condolences. I have been thinking of you often over the last few weeks. (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Karen. Yes, that's the biggest reason I want the long version preserved. I've been.. read more



Reviews

Debbie this is an excellent write up on an admirable man. At least that is my take away after reading this. I can understand why you would want the level of detail in this, as when grandchildren or great grandchildren wonder more about who he was, they will have your wonderful record to look back on. Again, my condolences. I have been thinking of you often over the last few weeks. (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Karen. Yes, that's the biggest reason I want the long version preserved. I've been.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

312 Views
1 Review
Added on January 18, 2018
Last Updated on January 19, 2018
Tags: robert fletcher, obituary, death, mason, american legion, lions club, united church of christ, ucc, boy scouts, choir, vermont, cushing academy, army, veteran, world war ii, world war 2, second world

Author

Debbie Barry
Debbie Barry

Clarkston, MI



About
I live with my husband in southeastern Michigan with our two cats, Mister and Goblin. We enjoy exploring history through French and Indian War re-enactment and through medieval re-enactment in the So.. more..

Writing