The Magus (A working Title)

The Magus (A working Title)

A Story by Prometheus
"

A man attempts to achieve the godhead, but encounters many distractions along his journey.

"

World War II had just ended. This heralded a new start for soldiers and internees. The entire world breathed a sigh of relief. However, there were others, living on the fringes of the ethereal and physical worlds, who embraced such upheavals as conducive to continue living undetected among people, only reminders of their presence being legend and folklore. 
One such being stalked among the trees on Palmer Boulevard as a frosty wind blew unrelentingly off Lake Michigan and through the deserted, dark streets of Chicago. 
A lone figure on the boulevard moved in the shadows cast by street lights. Her raven hair was loose and wild, and stood in stark contrast to her young, innocent face.

 Her eyes held the benevolence her face betrayed. The frost on the wind could not compare to the coldness in her gaze. Those eyes spied their quarry, a lone man, well dressed in a dark wool overcoat and derby, walked unassumingly toward Kedzie Avenue. 

A hunger grew within her, the hunger of a predator. Slowly and cautiously she closed the distance between her and and the target. Excitement building as she neared the lone figure. Excitement yielded to caution as the figure turned to confront her. 

The male silhouette, quite unexpectedly, beckoned her to come forward. He had stopped beneath a tree with low hanging branches growing perilously close to the sidewalk. As  the figure beckoned, she could faintly make out a smile on his face. With the element of surprise gone, she sized up her prey. He was a powerfully built man. His build could not be concealed even beneath his overcoat. His confidence was unsettling. The confident gesture of her prey matched predatory instincts against her hunger. 
Sheepishly she took a step toward him. He still beckoned saying, “Surely you must be chilled dressed as scantily as you are. Come, my Dear", he smiled. "Surely you aren't a working girl. At this late hour, even they have retired for the evening. What business must we conclude this evening?" 


She remained still as a statue for a moment. A sudden rush of embarrassment set upon her as she had gone from hunter to hunted, at this realization she giggled. Slowly she approached the man. 
"Are you lost? Or cold?” he queried. 
"No, I'm not cold", she replied in a low raspy voice. 
"But you wear such scant adornment, my Dear." 
“The cold and darkness are my refuge. But, since you ask, I do desire the warmth you can provide." As the last of her words fell from her tongue, she leapt toward the man. 
Instantly her body was seized abruptly in midair. Her flight halted so unexpectedly and fully that her black mane continued forward, and her wild locks came to rest over her eyes and temporarily obstructed her vision. As her vision was restored by the violent shaking of her head, the retreating locks allowing her eyes to survey her surroundings. Predatory eyes gave her realization of her current circumstance. With clear understanding, she realized she was ensnared by the branches of the tree which her prey was standing beneath. The tigress flailed violently to free herself. Fear, something alien to her, took grip as the realization that she wasn't ensnared, but trapped! The limbs held her in their grip. 
"Release me!", she hissed. 
The man smiled and put his face perilously close to hers, but just out of reach of her gnashing teeth. 
"Not yet, my Dear. I’m afraid this is best, for your own well-being." 
"I'll rip your throat out! I'll pull your heart from your chest and suck it dry!” she threatened. 
The man backed away. Sighing, and speaking softly to her, "My Dear, you are in no position to make threats, or demand for that matter." 
He stood in silence contemplating what to do. Finally he spoke, "I will release you, my dear. However, not before giving you fair warning." 
She hissed and spat like an angry cat. His calm and quiet demeanor irritated her beyond constraint. 
"What warning?!” she wailed. 
"To let me alone, of course. Trouble me no more. I have no quarrel with you, except that you would mistake me as an easy mark", he smiled. "As far as your insolence, which has insulted my vanities, I demand satisfaction. In short an apology." 
Her tongue lolled from her lips as she laughed. Her breath competed between laughing and her continued efforts to free her body from the grasp of the tree limbs which held her firmly. 
She ceased the struggle to liberate herself, so she could speak. Finally, she was able to mutter, "Insolence?' She laughed, “My Master will deal with you! He'll humble you! How dare you treat one of his children with such disrespect!" 
"Your Master? Yes, yes, I am certain I will not be the only one he'll seek to punish", a wry smile appeared on his lips. 
He watched as realization took hold of his captive. She absorbed his words slowly. He knew those words had the desired effect as he watched her face change from a mask of fury to a calm pool of understanding. 
Finally she spoke, "Kind, sir, we have had our fun for the time. Release me and let us part amicably." 
He laughed heartily, "And does the lioness part with the antelope amicably? No, my dear. I believe I should meet with your Master. The fact you refer to a master implies there are more of your kind. We must come to an understanding, him and me." 
At these words, her face again became a mask of hatred, I won't tell him!” she hissed. “Now release me!" 
“I could hold you here until sunrise, but what would that accomplish? Nothing and serve no greater purpose." He tapped a leather gloved finger against the brim of his derby, contemplating. He smiled and looked into her dark, fiery eyes, "I have an idea." 
He approached the tree, "Please allow me use of one of your broken branches exalted friend." He bowed to the tree and plucked a small broken branch from a larger branch. He addressed the tree, "Thank you." 
He snapped the twig in two producing a sharp point at one end where the wood fractured. Watching, horrified, the she-devil froze in fear. 
"What are your intentions, sir?" 
"Leaving your Master a calling card, my dear. Have no fear. I have no intention of driving it through your black heart." 
The smile on his face vanished as he approached the trapped creature. She struggled against her hardwood captor, "Get away! Get away!” she shrieked. 
Her screams shattered the night air as the point of the twig was drawn across her right cheek. The skin, offended by elemental wood, blistered and smoked in the point's wake. The wound shone prominently and was angry in appearance. 
"There. That should draw your Master's attention and pique his curiosity as to your night's exploits." 
In a fury, the beast screamed, "You'll pay dearly for this! Even the rats won't find your corpse fit to eat", she laughed, "You are more marked than me! You cannot imagine the wrath you've brought upon yourself!" 
Chuckling, he said, "My Dear, I fear the only one to feel the wrath of your master will be you. Good evening and fare thee well, my dear." 
"Release me, please." 
He placed the twig into the pocket of his overcoat to be ceremoniously consecrated. 
"My consort will release you momentarily." 
The magus turned toward Kedzie Avenue. He crossed the Avenue, walked up the stairs of a Grey-stone mansion and entered. As he closed the heavy mahogany door, he waved his left hand and the she-devil dropped free to the ground. The last sound he heard was her whimpering as he closed the door behind him.

 


© 2019 Prometheus


Author's Note

Prometheus
A rough draft. I'd like to make this a book series. Would appreciate reader feedback. Tell what you liked,and what you didn't.More will follow this piece.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Did you know that a British author called John Fowles wrote a brilliant book called The Magus.. and it became a modern great? Just a mention ...

Have read your story, has depth and dread and all other attributes but i need to come back and read again.. there's so much detail, would be wrong to give feedback till i understand more of your intention..

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Did you know that a British author called John Fowles wrote a brilliant book called The Magus.. and it became a modern great? Just a mention ...

Have read your story, has depth and dread and all other attributes but i need to come back and read again.. there's so much detail, would be wrong to give feedback till i understand more of your intention..

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 8, 2018
Last Updated on April 3, 2019
Tags: Pagan, Fantasy, Horror, New Age, Magic, Occult, Witchcraft

Author

Prometheus
Prometheus

Lubbock, TX



About
A dreamer who believes simplicity and moderation are the foundations of a happy existence. more..

Writing
I Love I Love

A Poem by Prometheus



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..