CH3 Pon sets out

CH3 Pon sets out

A Chapter by Jones Crimson
"

is a third chapter, just read it and comment

"

            Pon was quick to make friends of the warehouse workers.  He could load and unload stacks of hundred pound bags from the carts that took goods to and from the capital.  The delinquents Pon almost killed some days before were also pitching in; having been healed slowly overtime by the spirits who aided Pon’s sister.

 

            The relationship between spirits and users are very complex, it’s not a servant and master scenario.  The spirit’s asked Pon and his sister for help, and in return will linger around them until they eventually die and then guide them into becoming a spirit themselves.  Pon had the aid of a single spirit, though powerful and solitary.  Pon did not understand the spirit’s need to be so stubborn.  The spirit remained in the earth beneath Pon’s feet at all times.  To be severed from the earth for too long, Pon and the spirit both would lose their power.

 

            Sebil had three spirits.  She was often blushing because of the “interesting” things the spirits like to say and do.  They were apparently all quite foolish.  Her spirits would float about and play around her, visible to all others as merely a slight breeze on the grass.  Those spirits were healers, though very limited.  She managed to mend the fractured bones back into their original shape, but what took days a water healer could do in moments.  Water healers were among the first to die.

 

            Pon finishes neatly stacking the sacks of grains in a corner of the building and complains to his spirit.

 

            Pon:  “I wish you were a water spirit, instead.”

 

            Ghefr:  “Don’t complain about our pairing right after using me to accomplish these pointless human tasks.”

 

            Pon:  “Food is very important.”

 

            Ghefr:  “If that were true everyone would make their own.  The fact is most humans consider it secondary to their other goals: fame, money, and power.  That’s why they have just a few people make food while everyone else is busy doing whatever foolish task they think bring them happiness.”

 

            Pon:  “Won’t argue with that.”

 

            Ghefr:  “Sometimes I wish you would.”

 

            Pon:  “You seek conflict?”

 

            Ghefr:  “I just want you to have more faith in humanity, and in yourself.  That was all I meant.”

            Pon:  “Earth spirits are deep.”

 

            Ghefr:  “You’re such a fool.  A wind spirit would have been better, like your sister.”

 

            Pon:  “Maybe, but we would have died back in the realm.”

 

            Garid:  “Who are you talking to, Pon?”

 

            Pon:  “The spirit.”

 

            Garid:  “What’s he got to say?”

 

            Pon:  “He thinks we’re wasting our time.”

 

            Garid:  “I think I belong here.  It would have been nice to find this place sooner.  That said, I think he’s right.  You and Sebil aren’t like us, you belong in a better place.”

 

            Pon:  “There is nowhere I would rather be.  I’m sure Sebil feels the same.  We haven’t talked since I crippled you.  How is your leg?”

 

            Garid:  “It feels like it’s not really mine, but it works just as well as it used to.  Do you feel bad about what happened to our leader?”

 

            Pon:  “How could I not.”

 

            Garid:  “I know it doesn’t change much for you, but if he were still alive none of those around him would have found a good life like I have now.  He was a thug and a manipulator playing with our insecurities.  You’re a true leader.”

 

            Pon is reminded of when there were fifteen Spirit Users left.  The camp was split between Pon’s friend Cadren and the optimist Vuldr.  Cadren wanted to strengthen their defenses and wait for a change in the field.  Vuldr wanted to charge in and host an all-out assault.  Pon knew neither plan was going to work, so he sided with Cadren to buy time.  Pon thought to himself that if he had challenged them there he could have saved more of them.  Pon just kept quiet and did nothing.

 

            Pon:  “If you were me, what is the first thing you would do?”

 

            Garid:  “I guess I would look for others like me, or maybe become a soldier.  I don’t know, I don’t even know if this country is worth fighting for.”

 

            Pon:  “That’s a great idea.  I’ll leave the warehouse work to you, so try not to wear yourself out.”

 

            Sebil arrives just in time for Pon to announce his decision.

 

            Pon:  “…and so I’m heading to the city.  Don’t worry, though, I’ll come back to see you soon.”

 

            Sebil:  “Ha! As if!  Can you imagine if I were stuck somewhere without you?  I might actually have to think for myself or…

Heavens forbid I let the spirits guide me…

 

I would completely lose my mind without you brother, we’re leaving together.”

 

            Pon:  “I don’t really need your help, though…”

 

            Sebil:  “Oh please, I bet you just want to go on a murderous rampage again.  I don’t know how my brother became such a horrible monster.  I bet they’ll tell stories of you to frighten young women into staying home.”

 

            Pon:  “Please stop.  You can go with, just stop talking.

 

            Garid:  “Then we’ll all go together!”

 

            Pon and Sebil:  “No!”

 

            Garid:  “That’s the kind of pain that’s never going to go away.  It hurts on the inside.”


© 2016 Jones Crimson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on October 20, 2016
Last Updated on October 20, 2016


Author

Jones Crimson
Jones Crimson

ND



About
Seeking representation, contact for more information. I have complete works not posted here. I enjoy writing Fantasy, but I've had musings in almost all subjects; with the exception of Romance. .. more..

Writing