Sport of the world

Sport of the world

A Story by donjuan

Sports of the World


Sports of the World 
                From the beginning of time people have loved sports.  Sports take them away from their lives to and allow them to do something that they enjoy.  But did they ever stop to think why they need to be taking time from their lives?  Did they ever stop to think why winning a game can make their day but losing a game can break it?  Why they put on their favorite team's colors and can't look away from the television?  Why a game where they are a fan watching as a spectator can bring them to curse and fight?  Well here is something to think about...
                Back in the Greek days when the world was run by Kings, the court was very wealthy, wielding the richest of food, gold, the best furs that the world could give; but the people who served the king and lived on his land, the blacksmiths, the farmers, and the stable boys were very poor and unhappy in life.  If these people got tired of living like they were and decided to rise up, how would the king keep order and keep these people serving him so he could continue to live his ordinary lifestyle? 
                The King is not the King because he is a dumb man.  He knew he was going to have to give the people something to make them forget the problems in their lives, somewhere to take their kids and show them what their king did for their entertainment.  So the King told his people that he would build them the greatest spectacle on Earth where they can sit and rest their tired feet, where they can spend time with their families and fill their bellies with food thrown into the stands.  He said he would build an arena and put gladiators in it to fight to the death so the people could cheer for them.  The people would have the best times of their lives. 
                The people loved the idea of them sitting back while someone else did the work, and the King kept his word and built it.  When they had the first game, he sat with all the important people next to him in what we now call a sky box and said "Let the games begin."  He saw the people were not sitting down and resting their tired feet.  They were standing and cheering.  They were not filling their bellies with the free bread.  They were throwing it at the gladiators.  The kids looked at the gladiators as heroes and wished to one day be like them instead of their dads, who worked hard just to put crumbs on the table.   The kids made muscles and hoped to be strong like the gladiators.
                The King new all of this would produce more work.  He knew now he would always be in power of the people.  All everyone talked about was not how hungry they were or how tired they were or how they did not want to work for nothing; but how they could not wait until the next game.  So the next time you buy a sports ticket and you can't pay your car payment or the mortgage or put food on the table, you might ask yourself why.  Is this what I am brainwashed to do?  At least the people back in the day got free bread and didn't have to pay ten dollars for a beer and six dollars for a hot dog and one hundred dollars to get a good seat.  Just sit back and think about it. 
                I guess the King got smarter.

© 2014 donjuan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on November 9, 2014
Last Updated on November 9, 2014