Chapter One: Dark

Chapter One: Dark

A Chapter by Doxophobia

    I have always been afraid of the dark. As long as I can remember, I have had the phobia of going out into the night, or even just lying in my bed waiting for sleep to take over and my heavy eyelids to finally fall. I want to say it started when I was four or five, even though that is probably a lie.
    What is the difference between a lie and a secret? If you swear to keep a secret, does that mean you are a sworn liar as well? Because, in order to keep this said secret, you have to skirt around the edges of reality and dive deep into the back of your virgin mind, pick out the best scenario, let the words fall from your lips like a waterfall.
    Lies are like leaves in the Fall. At first they look so beautiful, different colors then a normal sentence or word. Then they turn a shade of brown, not exactly ugly, but enough to bring a frown upon your face. Where did the colors go? Where did all the hard work you put into the lie, go? And then the leaves fall. One or two at first, but with a gust of wind they all come tumbling down in a hurricane of crunching and dark colors until they cover the green of the grass, blocking out the truths, the rays of the sunlight. They turn the grass a grotesque yellow color, lack of sunlight, lack of truth.
    I am not a saint. I will never say that I haven't lied in my life. I have. Even the most angelical person has lied. White lies and dark lies. Really, what sets them apart? The destruction that they cause?
    I have always been afraid of the dark. I still am. I still cower behind the mask that dark things lurk in the night, under my bed, in my closet. I am still haunted by the fear that I am not alone.
    While, in all honesty, I am alone. I no longer have you, do I? You have chosen a different path, a different city, a different world to live in. My question is, though, do you live in a world of Truth or Lies?
    Let me tell you a little secret: The Truth About Lies.


© 2012 Doxophobia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! Great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


The comparison of lies to leaves is wonderful and very well written. And I LOVE, "White lies and dark lies. Really, what sets them apart? The destruction that they cause?" That is such a good question!

Very good! I enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2012
Last Updated on June 23, 2012


Author

Doxophobia
Doxophobia

Bend, OR



About
Perfectly out of place. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Doxophobia