The Chosen: Chapter 5 - Sarah and Ally

The Chosen: Chapter 5 - Sarah and Ally

A Chapter by D.M. Knight

The swing carried her higher and higher each time she pumped her little legs.  The cool spring air rushed through her long blonde hair as she swung harder and faster.  As she reached the apex of the up-swing, she let her head fall backwards and closed her blue eyes, feeling the warmth of the sun on her face. Her pink tennis shoes pointed up towards a perfect blue sky. Then the swing brought her backwards again, and her hair fluttered around her small face, covering her eyes slightly.  She felt like she was flying.  She felt free. 

 

If only she could swing all day, and feel this way forever.  But she knew that she had to leave soon with her mother to go to her bratty cousin's birthday party.


Her cousin, Trevor, was turning seven and he was only three months older than she was, but he treated her like she was a baby.  She hated it.  She knew that she was much smarter than he was; smarter than some adults in fact.  But he didn't understand that, he was too busy being bossy to realize it.  Going to his birthday party was going to be pure torture, but she didn't have a choice.  


There was no point in trying to get out of it either.  She hadn't even tried. Other children her age may have tried to beg their mother to not make them go, but she was smarter than that. She understood that no amount of begging would help her. 


She knew that her mother would tell her that it was her obligation, as his cousin, to attend the party.  All she could do was try to enjoy what time she had before the party.  So she swang her little heart out, enjoying her temporary freedom. 


 As the swing carried her upwards again she was suddenly overcome by the feeling that she was being watched.  


She had always been a highly perceptive child, picking up on many things that most other people missed.  Her intuition had always served her well and she had learned to listen to it from an early age.  


The swing began to slow as she stopped pumping her legs.  She looked around the backyard and towards her house. She expected to see her mother standing on the deck, ready to call her into the house. But no one was there.  


Then she realized that it felt as if she was being watched not from the direction of the house, but from the woods behind her.  She dragged her feet on the ground to stop the swing and turned her upper body to look towards the trees at the edge of the lawn.  Her small hands grasped the swing's chains tensely,  as she scanned the edge of the woods.  No one was there.

  

But the prickly feeling on the back of her neck told her that someone or something was there; just inside the tree-line watching her. She had learned not to ignore her instincts.

    

"Hello?", she called out tentatively towards the large oak and maple trees, "Is anyone there?"

   

Her small voice seemed to be swallowed up by a sudden silence. The birds had stopped chirping, and the neighbors dog had stopped its incessant barking.  It was as if they were all holding their breath.


"Hello?", she called out again, a little louder this time, but her voice was still hesitant.


Then she heard a voice.


Be not afraid.


"Hello? Who's there?", she said, her small voice seemed even smaller now, as it wavered.  She felt fear rise within her chest.


She couldn't figure out what direction the voice had come from.


Fear not.   


When it spoke again, she still couldn't tell from what direction.  

 

Feel not scared.  I am not Foe.


This time she realized that she hadn't actually heard the voice at all.  At least not with her ears.  The voice seemed to not come from any one direction, but from all around her.  It seemed to actually originate from within her; from within her mind.  And  somehow it filled her with a sense of well being.  Her fear was replaced with curiosity.


I am friend.  I am Ally, the voice spoke in her head again.


"Where are you?", she called  out, "I can't see you." She got off of her swing and took a few steps towards the woods.

 

No, not yet.  In time.


"When?", she asked, speaking to the trees.


Soon.


"Then we will be friends?"


Yes.


"Ok!", she replied and smiled, revealing two gaps where baby teeth had been.  


She didn't have many friends because most kids her age just didn't understand her.  Maybe this new friend would be more like her she thought.  Maybe they would understand.


Yes, I understand, the voice said soothingly in her head, and she gasped.


"You know what I am thinking?", she asked in complete disbelief.


Yes.


"Wow. Cool!", she exclaimed and her smile widened.  


Her new friend was special, just like she was.  The new friend would definitely be able to relate to her.  She knew they would become very good friends, and this made her feel extremely happy. 


Yes, you are special.  You are very important.  


"I am important?", she asked feeling confused.  What exactly did that mean?


Yes.  You are The One.


"The One?", she repeated questioningly, her eyebrows furrowing with confusion. 


The One who will succeed when all others fail.


She wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but she liked the sound of it.  She liked to succeed.


"What will I succeed at?", she asked, wondering if it would be something fun.


The most important task.


Her smile faded and was replaced by a slight frown.  An important task didn't sound like much fun at all.  In fact, it sounded kind of intimidating,  or possibly even scary.


Worry not.  I will help you when the time comes.  I am Friend.  I am Ally.


Again the voice filled her with a sense of security and comfort.  She felt a calming warmth spread throughout her body as if she were being heated  gently from within.  


"Ok, I will try not to worry.", she said and grinned broadly, "I can't wait to see you."


Soon.


She was about to ask the voice if they were a boy or a girl, when she heard another voice from behind her.  This time she actually heard the voice with her ears.


"Sarah?"


It was her mother's voice.  She turned around to see her mother standing directly behind her.  Sarah hadn't even heard her mother approach.


"Sarah, who are you talking to?", her mother asked in a concerned voice, looking towards the edge of the woods.


"My new friend.", Sarah replied simply. 


"Who is your new friend?", her mother asked, the concern on her face deepening slightly.


"Ally.", Sarah stated and smiled proudly. 


"You mean Allie?", her mother tried to correct her pronunciation of the name.

 

"No, it's not Al-lee.", Sarah said firmly, "It is Ally.  Al-eye.", she sounded it out just as the voice had pronounced it.  Why did everyone assume she was wrong just because she was a kid?  It was really frustrating.

 

"Well that is quite an unusual name.", her mother exclaimed. The concern on her face began to fade as she realized what was probably going on.  Sarah had a new imaginary friend.  Her mother really wasn't surprised, as Sarah didn't have many real friends.  It was probably bound to happen eventually. 


"Is Ally a girl or a boy?, her mother asked, deciding to play along.


Sarah's face scrunched up, as if she were contemplating something important.; as if she were trying to decide.


"I don't know.", Sarah said, realizing that she hadn't been able to tell whether it had been a girl or a boy from the sound of their voice.  Then she realized something even more curious.  She also hadn't been able to tell whether it had been a grown-up or a child.  The voice hadn't given any of these things away. In fact, it was as if the voice in her head had been her own, only she knew that wasn't the case.  Maybe they had just used her own voice to talk to her?  


"I think it is a boy.", Sarah said with a look of satisfaction on her face.  Somehow she had the feeling that she was correct.  Although she wasn't completely certain, it just felt right.  She still wasn't sure if it had been an adult or a child though. But she decided that none of that was really important anyway.  All that mattered was that she had a special friend now; a  friend who would understand her.


"Well, is Ally going to come with us to the party?, her mother asked.


"No, I think you scared him away.", Sarah said, slightly disappointed, "Besides, he said I can't see him yet."


"Oh?", her mother replied, "Is that so?"


"Yeah, he said I couldn't see him now, but that soon I would.", Sarah said with excitement looking up at her mother with an ecstatic expression on her face, "And he knows what I am thinking. He can read my mind!  How cool is that!?"


Sarah's mother studied her daughter's face closely with a strange look on her face.  As usual, Sarah didn't miss a thing, and noticed her mother's expression.  The look seemed to say that her mother didn't believe her. 

 

"What?", Sarah demanded, "Why are you looking at me like that?  Don't you believe me?" 


"Of course I believe you Sweetheart.", Sarah's mother said in a reassuring tone, reaching out for her daughter's hand.  She held the petite hand in her larger one and smiled lovingly at Sarah, "I just wanted you to know that he could come with us if he wanted."


"That's OK, I don't think he would want to go anyway.", Sarah responded , "I don't think he likes to have fun."


"What makes you think that?", her mother asked, a worried expression returning to her face.  She looked down at her daughter, completely puzzled.


"Because he seems serious.  He said I have something important to do when the time comes.", Sarah said proudly. 


"Like what?  What do you have to do Sarah?", Sarah's mother asked with worry in her voice.  She had become slightly alarmed by what her daughter was telling her.  It no longer sounded like Sarah's friend was imaginary. 


Had Sarah really been talking to someone in the woods?  Was there a Pedophile hiding in the woods just waiting for the right moment to snatch up her daughter? 


The thought was deeply horrifying and it filled her with alarm. 


"I don't know.  Ally didn't say.  But don't worry Mommy, he said he would help me.", Sarah said trying to comfort her mother.


Sarah's mother felt a wave of nausea  rise in the pit of her stomach.  She felt like vomiting.  She could almost feel the color draining from her face. 


Was her worst nightmare coming true?   


"Sarah, I need to ask you something really important, OK?  And you need to promise to tell me the truth."


"Ok, Mommy."


"Is Ally your imaginary friend?  Because if he is, that is OK.  I would not think you are silly, and I would never tell anyone.", Sarah's mother said with hope in her voice.


"No Mommy, he is real.  I wouldn't lie to you.", Sarah said, clearly disappointed.


"You shouldn't talk to strangers Honey.  We've talked about this.", Sarah's mother scolded her. 


"He is not a stranger.  He is my friend, and he is special!", Sarah cried, "And he said I am special too."


Sarah's mother's stomach dropped.  It was the same sensation she had experienced while on a roller coaster at the state fair last year.  Only worse.  Because this time she wasn't on a ride. This time the sensation was accompanied by a quickening pulse, and a pounding heart.  She hadn't been afraid during her ride on the roller coaster, but she was now.  Now she was utterly terrified.


"Don't worry Mommy.", Sarah attempted to console her mother, squeezing her hand, "Ally is my friend."


Sarah's mother was too overwhelmed with emotion to respond.  


Sarah could tell her mother was worried.  Her mother wasn't very good at hiding her emotions, and Sarah was too perceptive to not see the expression on her face.  Her mother just didn't understand.  Sarah knew this, but she didn't know how she could get her to understand.


Then Sarah realized that she probably didn't need to.  She had a feeling that in time her mother would come to understand. She would believe her then.


Soon. 

  ******** 

 

The thick underbrush surrounded him, concealing his presence beneath the towering Oaks and Maples.  He remained motionless and watched as the woman and child turned around and walked towards the building.  He felt hopeful.  She was The One,  he was sure of it.  He had finally found the child after years of exhaustive searching.  But he knew that finding her had actually been the easy part.  Now came the hard part.   


Could he get her to leave her mother?  Would she trust him?  Would she figure out what needed to be done when the time came? 


He knew that he couldn't explain everything to her, and even if he could, some of it she would still need to figure out for herself.  Because some of what she would need to do, simply couldn't be taught.  This realization was hard for him to accept, but he knew it was true.


As he stood motionless among the bushes and raspberries, the sun began to set and long shadows started to stretch across the yard.  He needed to leave now.  It would be dark soon, and he would not be safe then.  For he wasn't the only one searching for the girl.


Thankfully he had found her first.  But he had a feeling that he didn't have much time, and that They would soon find her too.  And if They did, it would change everything and he couldn't let that happen.  He wouldn't let that happen.  


If They found her, all would be lost.  


 She is Important, she is The One.

 

She is the Key, and I am Friend. 


They are Foe.  


And I am Ally.



© 2017 D.M. Knight


Author's Note

D.M. Knight
Please provide feedback!! I will add new Chapters as they are written, so stay tuned....

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A picture of happiness with reagrding the swing with all the colourful add-ons. The tension builds early on in this one - a surprising change of your normal routing - leaving it till last, but I liked it; its always good to mix it up. When the 'thing' talked, I thought the dialogue was handled well and I can imagine that maybe you had to go beack to do this bit a number of time. I know that when I have to dialogue, it happens to me a lot - just to get it just right and give the reader something to think about and make then go ''yeah this is cool' - and it was just that - Cool. I really was so excited reading the this bit because of the mystery which you have set it up to be. You followed it with a a 'back in the room' kind of way with her mother interupting her child talking to the 'Ally'the voice in her head - It was beuatifully executed - just like a mother/daughter conversation should be. I was impressed.

You left the piece with a killer of a 'what's coming next bit' - really stunning. I have to read on, I have no choice.


Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A picture of happiness with reagrding the swing with all the colourful add-ons. The tension builds early on in this one - a surprising change of your normal routing - leaving it till last, but I liked it; its always good to mix it up. When the 'thing' talked, I thought the dialogue was handled well and I can imagine that maybe you had to go beack to do this bit a number of time. I know that when I have to dialogue, it happens to me a lot - just to get it just right and give the reader something to think about and make then go ''yeah this is cool' - and it was just that - Cool. I really was so excited reading the this bit because of the mystery which you have set it up to be. You followed it with a a 'back in the room' kind of way with her mother interupting her child talking to the 'Ally'the voice in her head - It was beuatifully executed - just like a mother/daughter conversation should be. I was impressed.

You left the piece with a killer of a 'what's coming next bit' - really stunning. I have to read on, I have no choice.


Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 22, 2017
Last Updated on March 24, 2017
Tags: Science Fiction, Horror, Apocolypse


Author

D.M. Knight
D.M. Knight

Southwest, MI



About
I am new to WritersCafe. Writing is a hobby of mine that I hope will one day become more than that. I love science fiction, horror and fantasy and this is the genre that I typically write in. I am .. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by D.M. Knight