Soother

Soother

A Story by DevinPerkins

He was here again. Where? He didn't ever know. But he was here. Was it a desert? A tundra? Hell, they're both almost the same in his book. He knew hes was here all the same. Perhaps it didn't even matter where "here" is, exactly. He was just here. And that's what he liked most.

       Maybe he'd be able to tell where he was if his eyes weren't always shut so tight that you couldn't even push water through them. It always seemed like when he wanted to see something, his eyes shut. But whenever he'd try to block the images from touching his cornea, his eyelids popped open. Nothing in the world could keep them shut, neither. 

       Through his eyelids, however, he knew it was bright at some points and dark during other times. It was as if to say he was seeing days pass within minutes. Or maybe even universes. He wasn't too sure. He could never too sure, for his eyelids were always too tight.

       It was the smell that made him like this place. It reminded him of the camp he use to go to during the summer. It had the natural, grassy, earthy smell to it. As if it were Heaven. His mind stimulated with every inhale he was gifted with. This was the place he favored, for it was he it favored as well.

       It was when his eyes opened that frightened him. The best way he could describe this place was to say that it was like feasting your eyes on thousands of animal carcasses that were left out in the hot sun. The smell was that of sulfur and burning flesh. He always saw that place. His eyes would never shut then. It was his least favored place, while he was it's most favored.

       But there was one thing he could always remember during this time. The smell. The looks. The taste. Not of these places, no. Not of these places.

© 2013 DevinPerkins


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on January 25, 2013
Last Updated on January 25, 2013

Author

DevinPerkins
DevinPerkins

Rochester, NH



About
The last time I wrote in this I said that I was 17 years old. Which was true, but now I'm 20 years old. I had also said I didn't plan on publishing my music what so ever. Now if you Google "Professor .. more..

Writing