Born of Color

Born of Color

A Story by DevinPerkins

       "What about rainbows? Will there be any of those?"

        "I do not know. I don't see colors, but rather I feel them."

        "You feel colors? Colors feel differently?" She was truly puzzled.

        "No, not with your hands, nor your fingers, do they the feel different from one another. No, by no means. But I feel them through emotions; sadness, happiness, envy, power, and so on. But rainbows are illusory."

       "How so? They're there. They've glistened in my sky a million and more times before, and will show up again until the sun dies... I don't understand what you mean to say."

       "That's exactly it, Natty. A rainbow is illusory due to the fact that it's colors' properties are born from the impregnation of the Sun's light within water particles that loom within higher altitudes. Whereas true colors are there from nothing else."

       "But all colors must be made from two or more things. There's not one color in nature that doesn't oblige to that rule."

       "Black."

       "Black isn't a color, though. It's a lack of color. The death of color." Natty said, with an angst of know-it-all, it would seem.

        "Natty," He sighed one of those big, heavy sighs again. "Black is too a color. Just because you don't see it in any spectrum of colors doesn't mean it doesn't exist as one. In fact, black is the most natural of all colors. Look to your night sky when you get the chance. What makes up most of it? It's the happiest, yet saddest, of all colors. The most intelligent, and yet the dumbest. By itself it shines like no other color, but it's so very humble that it'll let any other color take it over."

        Natalie thought she was beginning to understand. "So if black is all of those things, what do you feel from it?"

        "I feel..." He sighed again, "I feel everything when I feel black. All the colors that exist are inside black. As if to say it's Heaven for all good colors, and Hell for all the bad colors. I don't know what else you'd call something so varied. So irrational, yet so controlled."

        "Earth, Evren. You could call it Earth."

        "Earth...? You mean - " Evren was cut off.

        "Yes. You know what I mean."

© 2013 DevinPerkins


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on January 25, 2013
Last Updated on January 25, 2013

Author

DevinPerkins
DevinPerkins

Rochester, NH



About
The last time I wrote in this I said that I was 17 years old. Which was true, but now I'm 20 years old. I had also said I didn't plan on publishing my music what so ever. Now if you Google "Professor .. more..

Writing