Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Kathryn Jenkins
"

This is the chapter that will introduce Kerowyne to Filthas Dengotta. She will get an idea of what she is up against. Also, she will meet face to face for the first time with SwordMaster Rikkin.

"

NIGHTMARES AND FEARSOME EYES

(1st Draft)

Kerowynѐ

The lightning and thunder blew up the sky. Kerowynѐ found herself tossing and turning all night. Her mind wondered through strange lands in her dreams. She saw the castles in the forest that melted into the trees. That must have been the Elvin kingdom Kerowynѐ thought. But, before she could get a look at the people walking beneath her floating form. Kerowynѐ found herself whisked off towards the Tarzinëa plains.

Kerowynѐ was taking in the beauty of the plains and all the animals that inhabited it. When she found herself whisked away from the scenery. She found herself growing more irritated by the second. “Where the hell am I going?” she asked.

That’s when it came into view. The mountains of Zorric, the very mountains that were known by all lands as the lands of doom. Kerowynѐ didn’t understand of all places why would she be brought to Zorric.

When her feet touched down it was behind a giant bolder. Kerowynѐ could see below strange creatures walking around by torch-light. “I wonder what they are?” Kerowynѐ asked.

“They are called goblins” responded Karigan.

Kerowynѐ was surprise to hear her voice. She turned her head towards the bolder and saw her peaking around it like she was watching something.

“What are you looking at?” asked Kerowynѐ.

“Shh…”

“Why?” she asked.

Kerowynѐ slipped in next to her to get a view of what was going on. That’s when she saw the group of soldiers standing near a cave entrance. Among them she saw a scrawny man who had a hooked nose, with jet black hair. He was wearing a black robe and from what she could tell he was the leader. That was what she suspected anyway when she heard one of the soldiers wearing a captain sash address him as lord.

“Who are they?” Kerowynѐ asked.

“Shh…he is coming” Karigan snapped.

Kerowynѐ was about to ask who. When she heard the footsteps that sounded like metal scraping against stone coming closer. She found herself leaning in closer to get a better look. Deep down she knew this moment was going to be a moment worth remembering.

A man clad in tattered cloth and black armor came out of the cave entrance. Kerowynѐ couldn’t get a good look at his face. But, from the reaction in Karigan’s shoulders she knew he wasn’t a friend of hers.

“Who is he?” Kerowynѐ whispered.

“Filthas Dengotta” Karigan sneered.

“I take it he is no friend to us?” she asked.

“Traitor…” Karigan snapped. “Shh…he will hear us.”

Kerowynѐ would have tried to pry more information out of the dead Queen. But, she was frozen dead in her tracks when Kerowynѐ found Filthas staring right at her. He smiled at her and that’s when she got a good look at his face. Kerowynѐ fought to stop herself from throwing up. The sight was gruesome to look at.

His face was a skeleton of what it once was. Filthas had chunks of skin hanging from the bones. Any sane person would have taken one look at him and high-tailed their a*s as far away from him as possible. Come to think about it Kerowynѐ found herself having the urge to run and hide under her bed.

Kerowynѐ was about to make a run for it when her eyes connected with his. Filthas’s eyes went from being black wholes to glowing red eyes. “She has returned” he said.

She would have freaked out but all Kerowynѐ could hear was a strange banging noise.

“Don’t worry” Karigan said. “Help will arrive at sunrise.”

Bang…

“What is he?” Kerowynѐ asked.

Bang…

Bang…

“There is no time, but your questions will be answered soon” Karigan said.

Bang…

Bang…

Bang…

Kerowynѐ was going to say more, but the ground disappeared beneath her feet. She found herself falling into darkness. Her screams echoed through the empty space, till Kerowynѐ fell hard back into her sleeping body.

She would have slept longer and been able to get answer to her questions if it wasn’t for the pounding. It took her a few moments to register where the noise was coming from. It was the door. Kerowynѐ moaned and rolled out of bed.

Kerowynѐ could smell the food as she approached the door. The sweet smell of blueberry muffins played with her nose. “Damn who the hell is awake this early in the morning” she said. “I guess it isn’t that bad a muffin will be nice after that nightmare.”

The only thing that could ruin the thought of a warm yummy muffin was opening the door to Kent.

“Good morning your Highness,” he said. “Beautiful day outside best be getting up.”

Oh, god why does he have to have such a screechy voice, she thought.  “You going to bring those muffins in Kent or are you just going to tease me with them?” Kerowynѐ said.

He gave her a smile. Without hesitation he pranced into her room and sat the tray of muffins on the nightstand. Kerowynѐ walked over to the bed and picked up the biggest one on the tray. She bit into it the second Kent grabbed the curtains and flung them open.

“What the hell!” she yelled. “Couldn’t you have given a warning or something you dumbass.”

“Hmmm…” he shrugged. “That isn’t appropriate language for a young lady of your stature.”

How about I throw you over the balcony. Then we can decide what is lady like she thought. Kerowynѐ chopped into the muffin with a vengeance. Just the idea of watching his scrawny butt, falling from the balcony put a smile on her face. She must have been spacing out long enough for him to notice. Since, he was standing there staring at her with his slender arms folded over his chest.

“You were thinking about pushing me over the balcony again weren’t you?” he asked.

She gulped down the muffin in her mouth and smiled at him. “I was doing no such thing” she replied. Apparently, I’m getting predictable around here Kerowynѐ thought.

“You’re not to predictable” he chided. “There are just props to being a mage with a mind gift.”

She practically choked on her glass of juice. I can’t believe he just admitted to using his mind gift to read my thoughts.

“Trust me your Highness,” he began. “I have permission from your Grandfather to do such. This way I can inform him of your schemes before they occur.”

“So, in other words you’re his spy?” she replied.

He shrugged off her question and made his way to the door. “Your Grandfather expects you down in the arena as soon as your dressed. He has someone who wants to meet with you,” Kent said. “Oh, and before I forget. I’m suppose to tell you to bring that sword too.”

“Why?” Kerowynѐ asked.

“How am I suppose to know,” he chided. “I’m just the spy sent to watch a princess after all.” Kent gave her a smile and a wave as he shut the door behind him. Damn, this better not be another suitor my mother sent for me to be paraded around in front of. But, why would I need the sword then? Guess there is only one way to find out Kerowynѐ thought.

Kerowynѐ finished off the last bit of juice and muffins. Then walked over to her closet. She pulled out a pair of trousers and a random blouse. Better make myself look nice for the charming young gentleman she thought. “Yeah right let the hell raising begin” Kerowynѐ said. “Wait, what if it is the help that Karigan said would come.”

Kerowynѐ contemplated the thought as she strapped the sword to her waist. “I guess it is time to find out” she said.

She walked threw her bedroom door and made her way down the hallway. It didn’t take her to long to make it to the back of the castle. Where the sparring fields were locating for the men at arms to practice. Kerowynѐ walked through the entrance and saw Gramps standing in the center of the middle sparring ring.

He was his usual self, stand offish as always. “So, old man what is with the early morning wake up call?” she asked.

“Kent tells me you were thinking about throwing him over a balcony again” he teased.

She shrugged “so, what about it” Kerowynѐ began. “It isn’t like I was actually going to do it.”

“Hmm…”Gramps face was very grim-looking. He was looking out across the fields towards the mountains.

“What are you looking for?” she asked.

“We will be having a guest coming soon” Gramps stated.

“Is this guest an old friend of yours?” Kerowynѐ asked.

“Yes, but I haven’t seen him since I was a child” he said.

Kerowynѐ stood there next to him in silence watching the mountain trails that led down into the field. She got distracted a few times by rabbits running, a horse snort, and a few curse words being yelled from the stables. I guess someone isn’t having a good morning she thought.

That’s when movement caught her eye. At the entrance of the mountain trails a man stepped out into the field. She saw Gramps shoulders relax and Kerowynѐ knew this must be the guest he was expecting. The stranger walked at a leisurely pace across the field. Kerowynѐ picked up that he was wearing full body armor and had a sword strapped around his back. She saw a bag he carried dangling from his right hand. But, what she didn’t expect was to see his cloak open up to reveal the Varrin Knights insignia painted across his metal chest plate.

“He is wearing the same armor from the chamber” Kerowynѐ stated.

“Yes, he is” he said.

Kerowynѐ watched her Gramps waiting to see what his first move would be. The strange man was finally a yard away from them and in talking distance. But, yet Gramps still didn’t do or say anything. He just stood their and watched. It was almost as if Gramps was in a different time all together.

Hmmm…I wonder if he is remembering something from his childhood Kerowynѐ thought.

“Good morrow…” came the stranger. “It has been a long time since I have seen you little Christophe.”

“Little he’s not little” Kerowynѐ snapped. “What are you blind.”

“That will be enough Kerowynѐ” Gramps said. “This isn’t the time or the place to be rude.”

Kerowynѐ would have made a smart remark. When she found herself making eye contact with the stranger’s piercing eyes. They made her feel like she was looking into a black hole. The way it was in her dream with Filthas’ eyes. The only difference was that one of their eyes started glowing red.

“I am Swordmaster Rikkin” the stranger stated.

“Well old friend I would like you to meet my granddaughter Kerowynѐ” Gramps replied. “I hope you have more luck with her than I do.”

“Wait…what’s going on here!” Kerowynѐ yelled. “Why are you making it sound like your shipping me off like dad did.”

“Your not going anywhere” Rikkin said. “I will be training you as Karigan wished. Christophe will also be helping with your mage training. We have to make sure you are prepared in every way when you step out onto the battle field.”

“So, your this brute Karigan said would come” she said. “Don’t look like your going to be that much help.”

Kerowynѐ watched as the insult registered on Rikkin’s face. She knew that a nerve was hit when his eye narrowed at her.

“You’ll have to forgive her mouth” Gramps stated. “Unfortunately, she inherited her father’s smart mouth.”

“Hmm… seems your going to be a bigger handful than I thought” said Rikkin. “Well, we best be getting started.”

“Started with what?” Kerowynѐ asked.

“Your training of course” Gramps said. “You didn’t think I asked you to bring that sword for nothing.”

Kerowynѐ saw the gleam in Gramps’ eyes. He is enjoying this. Damn I wonder what I’m getting myself into she thought.

“I’ll leave you two to it then” Gramps said. He turned and walked back to the castle leaving her alone with this Rikkin guy. She gulped and turned to face the man who was to begin her training. That was her biggest mistake. Kerowynѐ saw the fire in his eyes and knew instantly he was going to make her life a living hell.

“You think seeing Filthas is frightening my dear” he sneered. “Wait till I’m done with you.”

Kerowynѐ gaped at him. How did he know she had a dream about him. She was about to ask when Rikkin threw his bag and cloak to the ground. Kerowynѐ barely had time to react as he his sword slashed at her head. “What the hell!” she screamed.

“Draw your sword” Rikkin growled. “We will see how long a spoiled little brat will last in a fight with me.”

She would have screamed for help and ran. But, her hand grabbed the sword and Kerowynѐ found herself in a fight for her life. God help me…I think he is going to kill me she prayed.



© 2013 Kathryn Jenkins


Author's Note

Kathryn Jenkins
This is the first draft of chapter three. Please give any kind of criticism you are will to give. I will greatly appreciate grammar mostly.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on September 30, 2013
Last Updated on September 30, 2013
Tags: Tarzinea, chapter three, fate, dreams, destiny, magic, sword play


Author

Kathryn Jenkins
Kathryn Jenkins

Sioux City, IA



About
I am an aspiring writer that has a strong love for the fantasy genres. I have started my blog Dragon Knight Chronicles to help other fantasy lovers like myself to feel inspired and to help them get pu.. more..

Writing