Withdrawals

Withdrawals

A Story by CWP
"

A short story about a night in the mind of an addict.

"

If I stopped doing pills, I'd be able to control myself; if I learned to control myself, I could stop doing pills. A despair-filled circle, one that could be an upward spiral if I'd let her in, let her help, my counselor says. I had pondered that circle many times before I had even come here.

     I can still remember the times before I became this. I remember feeling strong, in control of my body and mind. I can still feel the feeling of triumph, if I think hard enough about it.

     Then, February came and the memories followed. I had lost control of my mind before my hobby ran rampant. The problem is it was a hobby to begin with, she says. People like me can't indulge in unhealthy hobbies, they will always become habits. Just thinking about my condition makes me want another cigarette.

     I tried to kill the ghosts in my head with painkillers. Though they died for a couple hours, they always returned. My tolerance grew and so did theirs. So it took more and more, until chunks of my nose fell out with the congealed clumps of narcotic powder. The cough came as the weeks became months, love became lost, friends became lenders, and I became...nothing but a feening shell.

     I'd cry, then try to do a pill, then cry some more because I was too congested to enjoy them to their fullest. I tried to wean myself too, only to find myself parked outside of my dealer's house after one of my fits of rage, after, of course, ruining yet another relationship and convincing myself an empty fridge was worth just three more pills. I even tried medication, the acceptable kind, for my mood disorder, the one I know I was treating with the pills. I stopped when the last bout nearly ended me. They can cause suicidal thoughts, you know, and you have to be very mindful. Something that is very difficult when you're withdrawing too.

     It was when I lost everything -- home, him, and will to live -- that I brought myself here. They sat me in a room. They left me there for what felt like an eternity. It was long enough for me to begin to scream and sob, begging for some sort of change. Patience was never a strong suit of mine. They took me out then, assigned me room and routine.

    It's been two weeks and I still am not sure if it was even worth their trouble to try to help me. I've not stopped thinking about him or the pills, not for a moment. I'm not even withdrawing anymore. Not physically, at least. The world, though, is a much different story...

     The light beneath the door is eclipsed by what I know to be footfalls. They pause to the right of the door where there is a computer -- there, they can check the temperature in the room (in case someone has opened a window, which is prohibited), how many times the bathroom was used (the door must remained closed for monitoring), and any weight changes in the bed (for obvious reasons). Now, I can only wait for the tech to open the door and beckon for me.

      The door opens and I get up. My roommate only grunts and flops over. The artificial light seems to singe my eyelashes as I follow him. I knew the second time I got up without opening the bathroom door I would be brought out. The third time I got up, I began marshaling my thoughts around my pacing enough for this midnight consultation.

      This place could almost be a retirement home, it looks that nice. A lot of us agree that they made it that way so if we got visitors -- though most of us don't allow any -- they wouldn't feel as if it wasn't such a horrible place to be.

      It's really not; the horrible place to be is inside one of us, anyone who knows anything ought to know that much.

     He stops and I enter the open door without glancing into his face; he took the easy job, what interest would I have in knowing who he might be? The doctor looks up from my file. "Well, good morning, Brooke."

     Glancing at the clock on the desk, that my file now lies next to, I find that it is, indeed, morning. Three in the morning, actually. "Good morning. Looks like my patience has improved since the last time we encountered each other." I sit on the sofa.

     "Meaning?"

    "I laid there for six hours before being brought here, without throwing a fit."

    "True, very true. So what is it that's kept you up?"

    My initial answer was 'a lot.' Answers like that are discouraged, as, often times, there is a central theme the many thoughts and memories revolve around. Considering the night, I gaze at the furniture in the office. Brown and green tones, for grounding and growth. "The problem tonight is me. I feel weak, as if I've always truly, been weak."

      "I'd like to remind you that you not only recognized your problem, but also sought treatment. Not everyone is capable of that on their own, you know." I raise an eyebrow. "Not that you didn't already know that. Would guessing this feeling is not related to your addiction be an accurate guess?"

     "I guess," I pull the pillow from next to me and hug it. "The addiction stemmed from it all I think. I ruin things, I'm bitter, resentful -"

     "Pardon my interruption, but I'd like you start viewing these feeling differently - well, more accurately, in a more unbiased fashion. You are not bitter -- you often feel bitter. See how that feels."

     Sighing, I begin again, "I tend to ruin things, I often feel bitter, resentful, and slighted. As if no one understands, no one will ever understand, which leads to the ruining part. I become -- I feel angry at any person who tries and fails, so I lash out, say a lot of things I don't mean, and then...feel bitter and resentful all over again." It does feel better that way -- like saying 'I am not my feelings' without so many words.

    "All of this was true before you became addicted to narcotics?"

     "Yes. The shame and regret that stemmed from all these crashed and burned relationships led to it.".

     "Do you remember a starting point?"

     The pillow I hold is an earth green, like a fern in the forest sort of green. It has a fringe frame and a couple tan silhouettes of unfolding ferns on the front. It's very soft. I squeeze it once and clench my jaw. "My last boyfriend," I sigh and look at the doctor's crossed knees, "He had been my best friend for several years before we started dating. We thought we'd get married. Then...he lost interest, I guess. Told me he didn't love me, not like that. I think he met someone else." I pause and glance out the window. It's too dark to see the flowers waving in the breeze. "So, I broke his heart with all the hurtful words I could find. Shattered it, really. That was the first outburst of mine."

     "Did you feel him to be a liar -- having said he loved you then taking it back?"

     "Yes." The word cracks upon the carpet at my feet. A tear slips from my chin onto the pillow, where it blooms into a dark green flower.

     "Do you think you could be transferring this feeling to the others that had followed his footsteps?"

      Nodding, I rest my chin on the pillow and look up into the doctor's face. "How do I stop?" I whisper.

    "Forgive him."

     I blink. No writing or drawing exercise? No meditation or running? Has it always been this easy?  Can I even forgive him without him apologizing? Can I forgive myself for letting it ruin me for so long? "I'm not sure I know how." I confess, arms contracting around the pillow.

    "Repeat after me: He thought he loved me, but he didn't."

    As I do, my voice stumbles over 'but' and I begin to cry. The doctor challenges me to do it again, though I begin to storm instead of rain, the words nearly unintelligible. Again and again, until I'm sure I'm on the verge of a psychotic break -- or, perhaps, just a hypoxic rage from sobbing with so little room to breathe. On the thirtieth repetition, I'm sure that I will black out with the next, but as I say, "He thought he loved me but he didn't," my tone slackens, as does the rest of my self. Then, again and again, until I'm saying it as calmly as I might say what I'd had for dinner.

     "He thought he loved me but he didn't, and that's okay." I add, and look back at the doctor.

     "Feel better?"

     "Exponentially," I chuckle, replacing the pillow.

     "I encourage you to employ that tactic with all of these sorts of things. I imagine you're tired, so I'll ask the tech to tell the morning crew to let you sleep until ten. Remember this for your scheduled visit; I think you'll agree that there is more in this to be dealt with than just that." I nod and the doctor stands as I do, reaching to shake my hand. "Sleep well."

     "Thanks, have a good one, doc." I tell him, passing through the door, feeling incredibly lighter than the last time.

      Back in my dark room, I lie down. My face hurts from crying, but I don't feel so...terrible. I still feel guilty, but I know now why I behaved the way I did. Control of self is important, anyone who knows anything would tell be able to tell you that. Maybe, just maybe, this all will really be worth it.

© 2014 CWP


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi again,
Well the rest of this piece reads just as well as the first part I read. You really do have a great writing style which I just love. But to be honest, I don't think that any critique from me would benefit you because your style is so different from anything I have been doing. As you say, your work is kind of stream of consciousness, whereas my stories are very structured (though I don't plan them to be). Have you had anything published yet? If not, you should, because your'e good. I have just begun to get stories (flash fiction) published and I think its because mine have the traditional story arc. The reason I'm telling you this (besides being boastful) is that, so far, these are the only kind of stories that I can judge/critique etc. I am loathe to suggest to you than you follow the route that I have, but I think you could get this story published if you did. In other words, structure it and make it less stream-of-conscious. But this is your style and its great.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CWP

9 Years Ago

Hello! I had actually thought about that when I was looking at your posts. Frankly, I haven't been p.. read more



Reviews

You’re an amazing writer, I’m almost at a loss for words. Honestly, I was in awe reading this. Not only was it relatable but it seems you found the perfect words to vividly conscript your emotions and somehow make the reader feel them too. Or maybe that’s just because I know where you’re coming from. Regardless, I enjoyed this piece so much. When you said “though i begin to storm instead of rain” my heart literally jolted, both from the pain of knowing this so familiarly and admiration of the cleverness and simplicity of it. This piece is so powerful and I just wanted you to know that. I hope to one day be able to write as clear and as creatively as you. Now I’m off to read the rest of your writing!

P.s. I’m definitely going to be trying your counselors advice, so thanks for that too!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Hi again,
Well the rest of this piece reads just as well as the first part I read. You really do have a great writing style which I just love. But to be honest, I don't think that any critique from me would benefit you because your style is so different from anything I have been doing. As you say, your work is kind of stream of consciousness, whereas my stories are very structured (though I don't plan them to be). Have you had anything published yet? If not, you should, because your'e good. I have just begun to get stories (flash fiction) published and I think its because mine have the traditional story arc. The reason I'm telling you this (besides being boastful) is that, so far, these are the only kind of stories that I can judge/critique etc. I am loathe to suggest to you than you follow the route that I have, but I think you could get this story published if you did. In other words, structure it and make it less stream-of-conscious. But this is your style and its great.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CWP

9 Years Ago

Hello! I had actually thought about that when I was looking at your posts. Frankly, I haven't been p.. read more
Hi there, CWP,
I love the first sentence, kind of sums it up doesn't it? A bit confused by the rest of the first paragraph though; *one that could be a spiral if I'd let her in* did you mean *if I don't let her in*?

The second paragraph is great, makes me think that the problems began a long time ago but narrator was stronger then.

As I continued reading, I was expecting some kind of story arc, but instead got a history of the narrators problems. This is okay - its a powerful piece of writing - but I would love to see more traditional structure to the piece.

Well done,
J

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

CWP

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words and reading it at all! I will make some clarifying edits - as in the s.. read more
Jennifer

9 Years Ago

Your'e very welcome, If you let me know when you've expanded this piece, I would love to critique it.. read more
CWP

9 Years Ago

Will do ! Thanks again(:

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 23, 2014
Last Updated on October 9, 2014
Tags: addict, memories, drugs, heart-broken, sad

Author

CWP
CWP

NM



About
I'm a stream-of-consciousness kind of writer, sticking to realistic fiction. I like to use writing as a way of lucid dreaming, I guess would be a way to put it, a way to study situations and people. I.. more..

Writing
A Painful Start 2 A Painful Start 2

A Story by CWP


A Painful Start 1 A Painful Start 1

A Story by CWP


Symmetry Symmetry

A Story by CWP