THE LAST WISH

THE LAST WISH

A Story by vision
"

Aloe has lost her desires and dreams after her best friend's death. However, the supernatural elements of the world seem to have conspired to fulfill the duo's dream, which was also Dora's last wish.

"

As the plane’s parts lay burning amidst the dense canopy, Dora was determined to send this message. She vigorously typed away on her cell phone, ignoring the blurring of her vision, the pounding pain in every inch of her body. “Dearest Aloe, it seems that I’m not gonna make it after all…” After completing the message, she was bent on pressing the Send button to the first contact in the ‘Favourites’ list �" Aloe Platt. Alas for her trembling hand, she sent it to the second contact - ‘The Cineplex’. And her last thought was �" I shouldn’t have watched so many movies in my life.

#

(1 week later)

            It was never going to be an ordinary day for Aloe.

            Her golden necklace was nowhere to be seen. It had been a gift from her best friend Dora, on the day Aloe had last seen her, or rather the last day Aloe would ever see her.

            “Come on Aloe, cheer up dear,” her sister Misty said, “It will turn up somewhere. Now we’ve got a movie to watch at the Cineplex!”

            “What! You’ve booked the tickets for us. I can’t go, not when I’m responsible for it. And that’s her favourite multiplex. I couldn’t possibly manage it.” Aloe broke into tears.

            “Aloe, wake up! I’m tired of it all. You’re blaming yourself all the time and I’m imperatively asking you not to. Let’s face it. The plane crash was not your fault! It’s painful, I know, but you can’t resurrect her. Now, let’s not waste these tickets while we can. It’s a proper comedy called ‘The Foolish Fool’ which ought to lift your spirits, li’l sis,” declared Misty.

            So, 6 O’ clock in the evening saw the Platt sisters at the Cineplex eagerly awaiting the movie’s commencement. Well, at least one of them was.

            The movie began. The audience laughed. The usual puns and jokes weren’t enough to interest Aloe until a particular sentence was uttered by one young lady �" “Ah, but I will recompense your generosity. We will soon travel like no one ever has and ever will; just this one scheme needs to go right.”

            Aloe stood up. “Dora!” she exclaimed.

            Misty tried to calm her down �" “Aloe! Whatever’s the matter with you? Alright, don’t weep. Let’s go out.”

            They were in the lobby, all alone but for the popcorn boy.

            Aloe who had pulled herself together said, “You don’t understand, do you? Did you hear what the brunette girl said in the movie?”

            “Something about travelling?”

            “Well, that was the last thing Dora said to me as she gifted me the necklace. She was so grateful that I had lent her a few bucks for going to L.A. She was about to start her new business venture, sure to be a success. And… and… once it was, our plan was to travel to Asia. All she ever wanted was to travel.” The girl, who was once renowned for never having cried in public, started weeping for the zillionth time.

            “C’mon, I’m not being insensitive, but seriously, is that the reason you cried?! The next time someone says ‘Hello’, you’re gonna find yourself screaming �" ‘Dora used to greet me just like that.’ You’re 25 now. It’s about time for you to be brave and learn how to recover.” With that, Misty rushed back to the hall, seizing Aloe’s hand, determined to resume ‘The Foolish Fool’.

#

            The next day, as Aloe and Misty were watching the news, a headline popped up.

“Youth, now accused of theft, dies after electrocution at the ‘Cineplex’.”

The reporter said, “A young man, Robert (21), has died after being electrocuted in the lobby of the ‘Cineplex’ in the most perplexing manner. He was about to read a message he had just received while the phone was being charged in the lobby’s socket, when suddenly he was severely electrocuted. Locals are now claiming that he was a thief. After the police searched his body, they found a golden necklace with the words ‘Dora and Aloe’ engraved on its locket. But the most intriguing of all is the message received by him. It says �"

‘Dearest Aloe, it seems that I’m not gonna make it after all. But whatever happens, I want you to know that I have been saving for our dream trip to Asia for a long time. This business venture’s objective was to reap the expenditure for the second one of us. But I have already saved enough for one head. My last wish is that you should make this trip, Al. My account number and password are safely hidden inside the locket of your necklace. Love, Dora.’”

As Misty felt goose bumps all over herself, Aloe smiled a brave smile. She knew where she was gonna be the next day.

© 2015 vision


Author's Note

vision
To all the readers, this is the first story I have ever written, like, for the first time in forever, so... I'm really sorry for the imperfections. And as I'm a beginner please review. I am desperate for constructive criticism. Also, I write in British English, so some spellings will differ.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
Added on June 29, 2015
Last Updated on June 29, 2015
Tags: friendship, dreams, inspirational, supernatural, surprise ending

Author