I Remember You

I Remember You

A Poem by Doreen
"

My first shot at a prose poem. Needed tissues to write this one.

"


 

I Remember You

 

The way I liked to feel the dragon tattoo on your arm with my fingertip because it was bumpy, and because I was flirting with you.  The way your head tilted down and to the side just a bit when you smiled that sweet, little boy smile that lit up your eyes.  Your beautiful, golden hair that grew long until Frank talked you into shaving bald.  The warm, delicious feeling that radiated from my toes when you wrapped your arms around me and hugged me just tight enough.  The scent of your cool skin in the morning while we cuddled and lingered, not wanting to get up.  The way we laughed while drinking shots of Tequila and how concerned you were when I fell, cutting my eyelid; the look of worry on your face when I came to after a shake-and-drop, passing out on the kitchen floor.  Telling you not to call 911.  The way we grabbed each other and nearly went white-haired when Sissy crawled into the dark living room, looking possessed.  How adorable you looked when you were mulling over something you were confused about.  The way your eyes clouded over and you looked mad when you were betraying me and didn't know what to say.  That far off look in your eyes when you thought of her; that look that told me I would be losing you. 

© 2012 Doreen


Author's Note

Doreen
An assignment for my poetry class and one of the hardest pieces, emotionally, that I've ever written.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The progression from happy to miserable is beautifully gradual. The grammar freak in me is going crazy at your structure, but I get it. It makes sense and it works. I would suggest that you separate this big freaking paragraph into at least a couple, even maybe go so far as to have every sentence on a separate line. Other than that, like I said, it just works.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Poetic Voice is Announcing the first Poetic Voice Cash Prize Contest for Poetry. Awards will be given to the writers who submit for consideration the most outstanding poems within the context of Poetry and Word Art.



http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

Posted 13 Years Ago


There is so much filling these lines.. passion.. a playfulness.. shared recollections.. loving.. and losing that love.. What began as a most beautiful confession held in the end a breathtaking pain. So bittersweet...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ouch....keeping the door open just a crack and letting us peek into soomething personal and sad. Brave and welcome because this was a hell of an emotional piece. Great write....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I can see why it would have been difficult to write. Hopefully, airing these thoughts and feelings has made it better. As for the structure of the poem, I think you did just fine, and shouldn't hesitate to write another prose poem anytime you feel like it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


What Bradley L. says in his review is correct. Your heart never fits together the same again. That's because when something shatters into a million tiny pieces, you can never gather them all back up.

I myself, am long since jaded so lost love has a bit of an inevitable feel. But your words here show a new maturity as a writer. You don't search for flowery, grand words here. You simply tell the sorry in soft, elegant style.

VERY well written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow... that was digging into the depths of the heart. nicely done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


:*(
i've that knot in my throat, and been through that recovery...your heart never fits together the same...
this a great work, the pain is beautiful in it's depth and clarity...cherish those emotions no matter how much they may hurt, they are proof you have a soul, validation as to why you're alive, and strength to build callouses for the next round...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 27, 2010
Last Updated on January 18, 2012

Author

Doreen
Doreen

NJ (no, we don't say Joisey)



About
I’m a writer, a reader, a dreamer, head in the clouds, feet off the ground. I love dragons and wizards, potions and hobbits. Aquarius by nature, and a bit wacky at times. I write poetry and sho.. more..

Writing
The Coffee Shop The Coffee Shop

A Story by Doreen


Pose Pose

A Poem by Doreen


I Like I Like

A Poem by Doreen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin


Brushes Brushes

A Poem by Robin


Battling Burma Battling Burma

A Poem by Bubo