Twisted Fate Chapter 2

Twisted Fate Chapter 2

A Chapter by easybreezy

I take a deep breath as I open the office door. I walk over to my desk and sit down, taking in the surroundings. Apparently, someone has done some redecorating in my absence. Everything is top of the line, from the ecru Italian leather sofa and three matching office chairs, to the mahogany desk and coffee table. It is obviously a ‘welcome to your new life’ upgrade, orchestrated by Caleb to help me let go of my past.

In my absence, Caleb stepped in to keep the business afloat. Though he is my assistant, he normally remains behind the scenes. It is a great comfort knowing that despite all of the changes I’ve endured, my business has not suffered. In fact, the clientele has grown with Caleb at the helm. He says the clients can’t resist his baby blue eyes and charming personality, two things that according to Caleb, I don’t possess.

I can sense his arrival before the elevator doors have a chance to open. I rise from my chair and walk toward the door. Caleb enters the office, looking sharp, as always. His slate grey suit rounds out his look, exuding sophistication.

“Good morning, Damien.” Caleb walks past me and plops down on the sofa. “I thought the office could use a little revamping.”

I roll my eyes. Caleb is the Prince of Puns, the Sultan of Sarcasm. He rarely misses an opportunity to slip in one of his witty comments. It is part of his charm, or so Caleb tells me.

I walk back to my desk, then start up my laptop to check the list of daily appointments. “I don’t know why Sheila schedules so many  meetings. Most of these prospective clients are not even worthy of meeting with me. I need to have a talk with her regarding her low level of standards.” I groan, slamming my laptop down and spinning around in my chair.

“You seem a little out of sorts this morning. Are you sure you are ready for this?” Caleb asks.

“I’m fine,” I answer, in a condescending tone.

Caleb shakes his head as he darts off of the sofa, appearing almost instantly at the office door. "If you say so," he says snidely and exits the office.

"A*****e," I mumble under my breath.

"I heard that," Caleb replies as quietly as I had, yet to my ears it is as if he is right next to me.

I reopen my laptop and double-click the “Vasquez” file. I scan through her portfolio. Her headshots are impressive. However, she is lacking experience, which my instincts tell me will present a challenge.

I stand up and walk toward the wall of windows that spans the entire north side of the office. Los Angeles, a city that was my kingdom, has become virtually inaccessible. I watch as the people down below scurry to their destinations, free to come and go as they please. A knock at the door interrupts my moment of self-pity.

“Mr. Rhodes?”

“Yes, Sheila.”

My secretary enters the office and shuts the door behind her. “There is a Miss Saunders here to see you. She doesn’t have an appointment. Apparently, Caleb suggested that you squeeze her in. He also said something about my low standards,” she states inquisitively.

“Never mind that. Send her in.”

“On a personal note, I just wanted to say that I’m glad you’re back.” Sheila glances at my rippling arm muscles. “You recovered fast!”

I cross my arms and grin, simply stating, “Physical therapy.”

Sheila opens the door and signals Miss Saunders to enter. I immediately realize that I am in way over my head. She is wearing a blue and white dress with spaghetti straps and blue stilettos. Her long, wavy, blonde hair flows down to the middle of her back. Her eyes are a sparkling blue, accented by a sapphire necklace with the same brilliance.

Her presence induces a massive physical reaction that I am not accustomed to, causing my body to tense up as she walks toward me. It isn’t a feeling of desire, but a raw, animalistic need. I have to have her.

“Miss Saunders.”

“Please, Mr. Rhodes, call me Linda. It is such a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.”

“The pleasure is mine, Linda. Please, sit.” I direct her to the center of the office, extending my hand toward the sofa before she has time to move in close enough to shake my hand. I am wary of making physical contact. My urges are so overwhelming; I know that the slightest touch is likely to send me over the edge.

Linda sits down and I sit across from her on an office chair. I analyze her every move, like an animal stalking its prey. She brushes her hair back, letting it fall across her left shoulder. I shudder slightly as she crosses her legs.

“So, Linda, what brings you here today?”

“I recently moved here from Franklin, Virginia. I saw your ad in the LA Times and, I must say, I was very impressed. I came here in hopes of setting up an appointment. Your assistant stopped me in the lobby and told me that you had a cancellation. Fate must be smiling on me.”

“Maybe fate is smiling on me as well.”

She giggles flirtatiously, then shifts in her seat. I can hear her heart pounding. The one thing that I have not been exposed to during my training is the presence of a living, breathing human. I greatly underestimated the power it would have over me. It is so enticing, I can barely contain myself.

Caleb is obviously testing me. Has she been sent to try my willpower, or is the intention for her to be my first victim? The other members of the coven have done all of the hunting, bringing me fresh kills. All I have had to do is feed. I find myself stalling, in hopes that Caleb will return.

“If you want to make it in Hollywood, I am the one to see. You definitely came to the right place. So, you moved here from Virginia. That’s quite a long ways from home. Do you have any family here?”

“I told my family if I make it big, I will buy a house and move them out here. Unfortunately, they just can’t uproot and move here unless I can support them.”

“Do you have a portfolio, Linda?”

“Yes, but I don’t have it with me. I wasn’t expecting to have this meeting today,” she replied.

“That’s quite alright. What sort of work have you done?”

“Modeling, mostly. A few local commercials in Virginia, but my real passion is acting. I just haven’t been able to get my name out there. That’s why I came to you.”

Linda leans in toward me and smiles. The front of her dress gapes open, revealing her cleavage. Panic consumes me. I have to get out of this somehow. I jump up and grab my phone, my hand visibly shaking as I bring it up to my ear.

“Yes, Caleb?” I hold up my index finger and say, “Please, excuse me. I need to take this.”

I resume my fake phone call as I walk toward the bathroom. This is too much! I can’t be expected to do this. Not here at work with Sheila right outside the freaking room! And the son of a b***h obviously isn’t planning on returning any time soon.

I frantically send a text to Caleb.

You, my office. Now!

I exit the bathroom and stop just outside the door. “We’ll have to continue this another time. See Sheila on the way out and she will set up an appointment for you.”

Linda rises from her seat. “Thank you, Mr. Rhoades.”

As Linda turns to leave, Caleb enters. He closes the door and leans against it. “Leaving so soon?”

Linda smiles at him. Before she has a chance to respond, I boldly say, “Caleb, no!”

“Waste not, want not,” Caleb says in a smooth, seductive tone as he slowly inches toward Linda. Her expression appears to be one of confusion.

“No! Not here, not now!”

“There’s no time like the present.”Caleb stops in front of her. Linda’s blood pulses through her veins; the sweet scent of adrenaline fills the room as Caleb’s hand lightly brushes the hair away from her neck.

Linda stands motionless, as do I. There is no stopping this. I stare at her with sympathetic eyes. She attempts to walk toward the door, but Caleb grasps her face tightly.

“I’ll be damned if I’m going to let a prize like this just waltz out the door.”

“What?” Linda says. She turns her head toward me, her expression resembling a deer caught in the headlights. I lower my head. “No!” she cries out, twisting and pressing her hands against his chest.

Caleb spins her around. His arms wrap around her, holding her still. He wants me to face her, to accept what is about to happen. I watch as a tear rolls down her cheek. Poor thing! She probably thinks she’s about to be raped. At least she could walk away from that.

“When presented with an opportunity, you take it!” Caleb’s voice is stern, full of malice. He pulls her head back against his shoulder, exposing her carotid artery. “Do it!” he shouts, holding her out at arm’s length, presenting her to me.

My heart begins to beat as I gaze upon them. I hear the muffled sound of her screams, smell the salt in her tears as the room blurs.



© 2013 easybreezy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I did enjoy the sensory descriptions and Mr. Rhoades resistance.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It is almost as if Mr. Rhoades feels like he is in some kind of prison. His body wants the blood, but his mind says no. I suspect Caleb and Rhoades are in for a vicious battle before too long.

Posted 10 Years Ago


easybreezy

10 Years Ago

Yeah...a crisis of conscience mixed with extreme mood swings. Caleb isn't a bad guy. You'll see he's.. read more
I love this. I expected that she was a "gift" for Damien, but I love how it ended it makes me feel anticipation and sadness for him. I love how this is going thus far.

Posted 11 Years Ago


easybreezy

11 Years Ago

Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013
Tags: vampire, romance, first person, male


Author

easybreezy
easybreezy

OH



About
I am an amateur writer. I find it hard to find time to write, but I will try to post more chapters as often as I can. I welcome all comments and criticism. more..

Writing