Twisted Fate Chapter 4

Twisted Fate Chapter 4

A Chapter by easybreezy

Caleb closes the office door. “That was the last appointment.”

Somehow, I maintained my composure, but inside, I was miserable, closer to the brink than I let on. Each woman that entered the office tempted me. I have no doubt that if Caleb had not stayed, I would have given in to my urges. Caleb’s presence helped me stay focused on keeping up appearances. I can’t risk Caleb knowing how ill-prepared I actually am.

“You’ll get the hang of it. Not bad for your first day.”

It is apparent that Caleb can see right through my façade. I see no point in keeping up the charade. I truly believe that Caleb has my best interest in mind. He has repeatedly warned that my attempt to maintain my humanity is affecting my progress. That any lingering human characteristics will fade away in time, so why fight it?  Caleb has been right about everything else so far. I decide to let my guard down and trust in Caleb’s wisdom.

“I see things differently now. My resistance is affecting my progress, just like you said.”

“Good to hear.” Caleb brushes my shoulder like he’s knocking off dust and says, “I believe you are ready for phase two of your ‘coming out’ party. We leave at ten o’clock. Dress to kill,” he says in a serious tone, punching my shoulder and flashing a hedonistic grin.

Phase two, I ponder as Caleb makes his grand exit. I am a little concerned about what he has in store for tonight, but then, like a lightning strike, joy floods through me. I rush out of the office and anxiously bounce up and down in front of the elevator, pressing the down arrow repeatedly. I know Sheila must think I’m crazy, but I don’t care. This is my first taste of true freedom. No Caleb, no Lavinia, just me. Free to go where I want and do what I want. The feeling is exhilarating! I take the elevator to the underground parking area. As I climb into my car, I mull over the options. One thing jumps to mind. My home. I never thought I could miss something so much.

It takes around ten minutes for me to arrive. I park at the base of the driveway and look up the hill at my former dwelling. The two and a half story home is nestled into the side of a hill, overlooking the city. I used to sit on the balcony and watch the sunset, never truly appreciating the beauty of it. Now, I am forced to view the outside world from the confines of my car. The UV protectant that Caleb added to the vehicle’s windows allows for more flexibility, but I’m still a slave to the sun. I drive up the hill and park, taking advantage of the silence as I watch the day descend into night.

It is nearing ten o’clock, so I decide to drive home, to the one Caleb and I share. As I open the front door, I immediately sense that Lavinia is here. Great! I enter the house, unsure of the reason behind her visit. I walk down the hallway and open my bedroom door. Lavinia is lying on the bed. She sits up swiftly as I enter the room.

 “How was your first day out amongst the world?”

“Interesting, to say the least,” I remark as I reluctantly sit down on the edge of the bed.

Lavinia moves in closer and asks, “Did you feed?”

“Yes.”

She reaches out, grabbing my shirt near the collar, and forcefully pulling me toward her. “Did you like it?” Her eyes and tone of voice are devilish. I back away, but Lavinia creeps forward. She touches my face and says, “You must feed. It is not an option. There’s no shame in enjoying it.”

Her hand trails down, resting on my chest. I want to speak freely, address my issues, but the fear of repercussions has me biting my tongue.

“I have such high hopes for you. I know you will do what is required of you. Has Caleb told you about the Chiron Prophecy?”

“No.”

Lavinia stands up and walks toward the window, looking out as she says, “Chiron is the Greek God of healing. According to the centuries old prophecy, Chiron will bestow his power unto any immortal that fulfills the prophecy to his satisfaction.” She turns around and recites, “When the altar of Chiron sits high in the sky, a great sacrifice must be made in my name. The pure one is the key to wielding my great healing power.”

My head perks up as I ask, “Would it cure our condition?”

Lavinia laughs maniacally and says, “I’m afraid not. Immortality has no cure. Why anyone would want one is beyond me. However, if we can attain his power, we will be able to tolerate sunlight.”

“We would be able to blend in with society,” I say quietly. The prospect of gaining more freedom has me interested.

Lavinia instantly sits next to me on the bed, her eyes wild with excitement. “The time is drawing near. If we can make this work, we will become the most powerful coven in the world.”

I mull over the information I have been given. I have never believed in mythology, but until three months ago, vampires were a thing of legend as well. I choose to entertain the idea, knowing that it is the closest thing to normalcy I can hope for. “You said something about the pure one. What does that mean?”

She leans in close, whispering into my ear, “Don’t worry about that. I have everything under control.” She lightly nibbles at my earlobe, then asks, “Do you remember our night together?”

“Of course. How could I forget?” I recall that evening’s events. She wasted no time as she pressed her lips against mine. I lifted her up and placed her atop my desk, frantically clearing the desk with one swipe of my arm as lowered her down.

“I was going to kill you,” Lavinia admits, “but your enthusiasm made me reconsider. I’m glad that I did.” Lavinia jumps up and is gone instantly.

I regret having pursued Lavinia. Moreover, I detest Caleb for introducing us in the first place. The human Damien was enamored with her, to the point of obsession. Everything about her appealed to me. Her creamy white, silky skin, her voluptuous lips, her calm, enticing voice. The obsession intensified the moment our lips met. Like a drug, the venom in her saliva flowed directly to the pleasure receptors in my brain, leaving mewanting more. With every pass of her tongue, the corpuscles inside of my skin tingled, creating a tantalizing numbing effect.

Now I see her for what she really is. A cold, heartless, power monger who only thinks of herself. A vicious creature that will stop at nothing to get what it desires. I wish that Lavinia spared me the anguish and just killed me. If she had, my mother would not have suffered.

I stand up and look out the window. Sunlight lights up the far edge of the clearing. How marvelous it would feel to run across the field with no fear, no risk, and no limitations.

 Caleb appears in the doorway. Without turning around, I ask, “Where are you taking me?”

“Somewhere with an abundance of women. Preferably a college.

So, Caleb plans on throwing me into the feral world of Los Angeles nightlife. The thought of immersing myself in a sea of potential entrees worries me, but the newfound knowledge that choosing a victim doesn’t have to be a death sentence sets my mind at ease.

I look Caleb up and down and say, “I don’t see how a business suit is appropriate for a night out on the town.”

“Yeah. Maybe you’re right.” Caleb disappears, returning seconds later. “Better?”

I stifle a laugh, amused by Caleb’s choice of attire. He is wearing a pair of blue jeans and a blue t-shirt. The shirt is so tight; it looks like he did his shopping in the boy’s department. “What size shirt is that? A smedium?”

He makes his pectoral muscles dance and says, “Chicks dig the smedium.” Caleb shoots me a concerned glance. “I’ve gotta say, you are uncharacteristically calm. It wouldn’t have anything to do with Lavinia dropping by, would it?”

“Absolutely not! I just…feel good right now.”

“I’m happy to hear it. You know, I really haven’t given you enough credit. Not many of us earn our freedom as quickly as you have.”

My eyes widen as I ask, “How long did it take you?”

Caleb lowers his head and says, “Nine months.” His head springs up quickly as he adds, “but I didn’t have a brilliant teacher like you have. I had to endure Xavier and his warped idea of training.”

“No need to defend yourself, Caleb. If he was responsible for my training, I know I would be locked away for quite some time. What’s the deal with Xavier anyway?”

“Xavier is a follower, at Lavinia’s beck and call. He only does what he is ordered to do. A miserable way to live, if you ask me.”

I think about the few times I have encountered Xavier. He appeared to be disgusted that I was a part of their world. “I sense that he doesn’t agree with the decision to turn me.”

“It’s not you, Damien. Well, in a way it is. Lavinia has been devoting so much time to you that he has been left by the wayside. I don’t think he’s coping well without Lavinia’s constant attention.”

As far as I’m concerned, Xavier is welcome to every bit of Lavinia’s attention. It would relieve a massive amount of stress if I didn’t have to deal with her.

“I don’t want to talk about this anymore. It’s time to cut loose and have some fun. You do remember what fun is, don’t you?”

“Actually, I don’t, but I’m fairly sure it will come back to me.”

“It’s just like riding a bike,” Caleb says happily.

“Do you mind?” I ask, gesturing at my clothing.

“You’ll learn that modesty is not in a vampire’s vocabulary.” I stare at him as my aggravation mounts. “Okay, okay,” Caleb says as he leaves the room.

I change out of my business suit and into a green polo shirt and beige pants. I grab my tan leather jacket and join Caleb in the living room. “Alright, let’s go,” I say as I sling the jacket over my shoulder and head toward the front door. Regardless of how the evening pans out, it is certain to be a defining moment. A moment that will make or break me.



© 2013 easybreezy


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

329 Views
Added on February 11, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013
Tags: vampire, romance, 1st person


Author

easybreezy
easybreezy

OH



About
I am an amateur writer. I find it hard to find time to write, but I will try to post more chapters as often as I can. I welcome all comments and criticism. more..

Writing