My Brother Alvin

My Brother Alvin

A Poem by Janyce Helen Van Es

I saw the macabre, papier-mâché body lying on the gurney,
whose intellectual mind once enjoyed philosophy and music.
I touched the hands that once turned the pages of many books.
Now, his emaciated shell lay cold and empty.

 

The funeral director asked me about an open casket,
showing missing teeth, hair and sunken cheeks.
I said no; no one would remember him this way,
drained of love, life, mind and spirit.

 

I didn’t go to the viewing; my brother wasn't there.
I felt joy. He was now free; he wanted to be.
Parkinson’s Disease made him stiff and useless,
bedridden, hand-fed, and now... dead.

© 2008 Janyce Helen Van Es


Author's Note

Janyce Helen Van Es
Alvin Died in 2003 from Drug Induced Parkinson's Disease. He was 64.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Heartbreaking! I feel for you and can't help but feel angered by the coroner's question about an open casket. I assume (correct if wrong) that if he or she couldn't work their magic to transform the departed back to their former beauty or handsomeness that a suggestion (tactfully) would be made for a closed casket. (Sigh) Your emotions flowed through and showed vulnerability as well as strength on such a trying day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I believe he is resting in peace now.
I appreciate you for the amazing way you described Alvin when he was alive.
His love for books,philosophy and music has been portrayed elegantly in the poem.
Lastly,your joy to see free Alvin is really really very genuine.
Congratulations for being so respectful and responsible for your brother Alvin.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tremendous. Filled with an honest sadness but an uplifting happiness aswell. A heartbreaking tale told with a stiff and disconnected air.
I am very sorry to hear of this dreadful news, so brilliantly presented to us through your writing. My wishes are with you and your family

Posted 11 Years Ago


I am so sorry for your loss. You have written a very sad heartbreaking poem. Wonderfully penned. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


Heartbreaking! I feel for you and can't help but feel angered by the coroner's question about an open casket. I assume (correct if wrong) that if he or she couldn't work their magic to transform the departed back to their former beauty or handsomeness that a suggestion (tactfully) would be made for a closed casket. (Sigh) Your emotions flowed through and showed vulnerability as well as strength on such a trying day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sorry you had to go through that. I can only imagine how I'd feel if I lost one of my brothers. The good thing that came out of his death was at least he is free now. Free to move on in spirit and hopefully to something much better.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 9, 2008
Last Updated on June 28, 2008

Author

Janyce Helen Van Es
Janyce Helen Van Es

Pottsboro, TX



About
I am just a hippie from the sixties: I Love to sketch, decorate and write. Gardening is my second delight My husband is lazy, and because we're both crazy, writers groups keep us out of a fight! It's.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..