Food Flash

Food Flash

A Story by Janyce Helen Van Es
"

The government never issues enough food stamps per family.

"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

She:“What? No bread?”

 

He: “I was hungry!”

 

She: “You’re always hungry, Mr. Pig! What happened? There aren’t any potatoes, eggs, bread or meat left for me!”

 

He: “You were taking a nap!”

 

She: “That doesn’t mean you don’t leave me anything for dinner!”

 

He: “Sorry! You told me not to wake you, once you sacked out.”

 

She: “That didn’t mean you should wipe out enormous amounts of food while I sleep. I hope you get indigestion!”

 

He: “I think I already have it.”

 

She: “And, I suppose there aren’t any Rolaids or Tums.”

 

He: “I ate them for dessert.”

 

She: “All of them?”

 

He: “I had to have something sweet.”

 

Next Week

 

 It became a war, now.

 

 It pissed her off everytime she opened refrigerator and cabinet doors to find them empty. Only two moldy carrots, a few chopped onions, a spoonful of relish, and a squirt of ketchup were left besides the slice of cheese she hid from him days ago behind the carrots.

 

 Bread wasn't available for a sandwich so she wrapped the cheese around the onions, ketchup and relish pretending there were hotdogs and buns included. She was determined to eat almost everything, before he rose from his nap.

 

 When he finally woke up, he noticed her sitting on the bed watching him, her mouth covered in ketchup.

 

“Anything left for me?” he asked, anxiously.

 

“Do you still hate carrots, dear?”

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Janyce Helen Van Es


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Man, it's scary that this sort of thing can and does happen! You put your infectious, biting, dark and humorous spin on a sad situation and for the life of me I couldn't stop giggling. Lack of food will bring out the savage in anyone; including lovers!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hey, I have known people that do these sick things to one another. That it such a sad way to live. But I gotta real jolt from your funny tale... once again!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Loved it - once again your sarcastic story telling is funny - yet - so true at the same time. It is a very real problem what people are expected to live on - there really is never enough.

Great job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


lol ok this was brilliant writing. Straight to the point. I love it. Still laughing. I insist you do follow ups on these two.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Man, it's scary that this sort of thing can and does happen! You put your infectious, biting, dark and humorous spin on a sad situation and for the life of me I couldn't stop giggling. Lack of food will bring out the savage in anyone; including lovers!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 13, 2008

Author

Janyce Helen Van Es
Janyce Helen Van Es

Pottsboro, TX



About
I am just a hippie from the sixties: I Love to sketch, decorate and write. Gardening is my second delight My husband is lazy, and because we're both crazy, writers groups keep us out of a fight! It's.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Rain Rain

A Poem by SM Davis