Buried Memories

Buried Memories

A Story by Janyce Helen Van Es

Dreaming, Shelly melted into Steven's arms; she felt his lips feeding on her. A spiritual awareness made the last twenty years disappear.

 

The phone rang. Her mind still cloudy, the bad news from her son permeated her mind like a sponge soaking up urine. Steven’s picture covered the corner of Sunday’s obituary page.

 

 

The previous week, he filled her with sounds of his bass guitar. Feeling vibrations a half-mile from her home, Shelly ached to see him perform.

***

Old friends came together to grieve. Tears fell from grown men’s eyes. A woman moaned as she clutched his face in her hands. Lung cancer stole his life at thirty-seven.

 

Steven never told Shelly of his illness, sparing her pain.

 

She watched as her heart was lowered into a large hole; each person passed a shovel to fill it.

 

Although saddened, her husband finally felt a heavy burden lifted.

© 2008 Janyce Helen Van Es


Author's Note

Janyce Helen Van Es
Steve died April 3, 2008

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was such an emotional and bold piece! It's never easy reliving painful times and having memories well up as you write. My heart goes out to you!




Posted 15 Years Ago


very very good.
i loved it.
and iwanted to say thank you for the review too.
i really want to go far with my songs and my music.
it inspires me very much.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very touching. Love "the bad news from her son permeated her mind like a sponge soaking up urine". powerful imagery.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2008

Author

Janyce Helen Van Es
Janyce Helen Van Es

Pottsboro, TX



About
I am just a hippie from the sixties: I Love to sketch, decorate and write. Gardening is my second delight My husband is lazy, and because we're both crazy, writers groups keep us out of a fight! It's.. more..

Writing