" I'm sorry but, if I didn't see it, I can't help you "

" I'm sorry but, if I didn't see it, I can't help you "

A Story by ecollete
"

My issues with the world right now (:

"

How old will students have to be, to be able to make their opinions be put outside of the classroom? When will students be taught about opinions, not the definition but, the use. When will I be taken seriously when I stand up in class and say I don’t believe in that? When will I not be punished but, praised over the fact that I know how I feel and I’m passionate enough about it to stand up in a classroom. I am a thirteen year old  girl who believes in, freedom of speech, the proper education, and my generation.

 When people think about “my generation” they think, always on their phones. Why don’t people think about how much MY generation has changed the world today. In 2012 we dropped the rate of teen pregnancies by 48%. What about the fact that only 14% of united states high school students smoke. So yes, we are always on our phones but, don’t you think that’s helping the process of all this? The ads on youtube about lung cancer from smoking, the inspiring messages on Instagram about positive body image, and the amazing INTERNET that helps us be able to know what’s happening and how to help. Everyone always says, “I wish I were born in a different generation.” well I am thankful to be in this generation where, gay marriage is legal, and rates are lower than ever.  I am so happy that adults are finally learning what kids have known all along, we are the generation that will be making this world the best it can be, and that we are capable of almost everything adults can do.

I have had the same strong opinions about topics since I was in 5th grade. Yet I have not been able to get my opinion out there for 3 years, why is that? Because, of my age? I might not have gone to college or finished high school but, I may have a way better perspective over topics I feel, kids could make the most compact on. One year in sex ed class my teacher told the girls that if you get pregnant as a teen, you will not be capable of achieving your dreams and goals in life, I immediately rose my hand and spoke my mind. I was quickly warned to stop talking and write it down, I simply told her I will not write down something in my personal notes that I don’t believe in, she told me the dean of discipline will be hearing about my “outburst”. Let me repeat myself to make it clearer, I made my opinion clear to her, she shut it down immediately and called it a outburst. My thoughts and opinions are thought of an outburst? Just to clarify I did indeed, raise my hand, wait to be called on then, spoke my mind. There was absolutely no outburst made. What if I had been a adult, a fellow faculty member or, just a adult saying my mind, would it also, be a outburst? Why are students not being taught that their opinion can make a difference in this world? Why do other students not speak their mind about other topics? Teachers should be teaching about how opinions can turn into ideas, and ideas can create the most important things to this world. Students deserve the exact same respect any other adult receives no matter what age, and my opinions will never, ever be outburst, because I am simply a human with a mind on track for change in this world.

© 2015 ecollete


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on August 26, 2015
Last Updated on August 26, 2015
Tags: opinions

Author

ecollete
ecollete

About
im a thirteen year old girl who loves to write and found a place to put it all. more..

Writing