An Unfair World

An Unfair World

A Story by Lorraine Hampton
"

this is actually a first draft. the Story centers around sixteen year old Max who is a violent boy, and how he grows to accept the love of others.

"

An Unfair World

Lorraine Hampton

His hand clenched and his sharp nails dug their way into the flesh of his palm as the rage surged through his veins, burning him from the inside out. Anger came naturally to Max, and in the past he was known for violent outbursts. Once when he had snapped, he beat a grown man so severely that he was admitted to the hospital and Max left without a scratch. Max was short, only five foot seven inches, and skinny, weighing in at one-hundred-twenty pounds. How he could have defended himself against this man was a wonder to all who knew of it. Some had called it a miracle, and still some were terrified. Max wouldn’t take s**t from anyone, and in his eyes, bullying his friends was a hanging offense, much like the beating he was giving now. His clinched fist pulled back, his elbow extending as far past his back as his body would allow, and with a sharp thrust his knuckles met the stomach of his victim who had earlier committed the crime of calling one of his friends a w***e. His fist continued to strike, each landing hard with a sickening thud. When his victims legs gave and he fell to his knees, begging for it to stop, Max landed a sharp kick to the face, and his victim fell unconscious to the bathroom floor. Max’s hands unclenched and fell limp to his sides. His rage had subsided and now all that was left was a residual hatred for his most recent victim. He wouldn’t let this go, despite what had just transpired. He exhaled and turned towards the sink. Hunched over, he turned on the cold water, catching the white water in his open hands before putting it to his face. The cold water mixed with his own warm salt water, stinging his eyes as it dripped down his face. He raised his head slowly until his eyes met those of his reflection. He stared angrily at it, despising in its every feature as reflected by the filthy glass. With one last strike, he shattered the image and now he looked on the distorted reflection with a tender sadness. He despised himself, and yet, in the end could only feel self-pity. He washed the red from his hand and turned to look at his still unconscious victim with that same pity before leaving the now silent restroom.

Just outside the door, was the girl that had been accused of being a w***e. Max came out of the bathroom. He kept walking, and she followed. “Max, you didn’t have to do that” she said softly, “it didn’t bother me.”

Max stopped and looked at her. Her hair was kinked in brunette curls and fell to either side of her pale face. He looked for a moment at her piercing green eyes. “Yes I did.” He claimed, “Jess, you can’t let dumbasses like him get away with s**t like that.”

Looking away she said, “I could just ignore them.” Jess was used to being called w***e, she was sixteen and was raising a two year old girl. It isn’t really uncommon in Louisville to be a teen mom, but in this case, it was different. In middle school, Jess was infamous. She was known for drinking, partying and smoking weed. She was always trying to get on the better side of the high school students. And one night, when she had snuck out to go to a high school party, she got drunk and someone slipped roofies into her drink. The next day she woke up battered and bruised. A week later, she found out she was pregnant. She kept the baby, but she will never know who the father was.

“No you can’t Jess!” Max shouted, “You can’t really think that ignoring this will make it go away?” he walked out in front of her, “if you aren’t doing it for yourself you could at least do it for your daughter! Imaging what it will be like for her when she starts to understand what ‘w***e’ means?” Jess’s gaze darted to the left, her curls bouncing when she turned her head.

“Let’s just get out of here Max.” she weaved her way around him, arms crossed and head down.

Max turned towards her, “I’m doing this for you, Jess.”

She stopped, and turned to meet his eyes, “I Know,” she said, walking back to him, “I know, and thanks for that, but I’ll be ok.” Her gaze rose to meet his.

Max softened his expression, “fine, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try.” Jess gave a crooked smile, and wrapped her arms around his neck, and he put his around her waist. They pulled each other close, tightly holding onto one another. Max felt as if he could melt into her. He wanted her to understand why he had to defend her, but he feared she would never understand.

Jess broke the embrace, “now,” she said in a playful voice, “I have to pay you back, so dinner’s on me.” Max chuckled, “alright, let’s get going.”

Two Months passed and Max and Jess became closer than ever before. They would spend the school days in each other’s company. This day, however, was a special day because today Jess’s daughter Michelle was out of day care early. Today, would be the day that Max would meet her. “You’ll love her, Max.” Jess assured him as they drove towards the daycare, “she’s a real sweetheart, and I’m sure she’ll love you.” Max, unsure, turned to look out his window, watching the buildings and people as they passed by in a blur of colors and shapes. Max didn’t believe her, he wasn’t particularly the popular type. Aside from Jess, he didn’t have many friends. He wouldn’t try to fool himself into thinking that he was worth her friendship either, let alone her daughter’s. “Max?” Jess pulled him out of the windows blurry trance, “Trust me, she’s got a sense for good people.”

Max shook his head and responded, “If that’s true, then she won’t like me much at all.”

Jess’s eyes left the road for just a moment to look at Max, who was sitting slumped in his chair, “Don’t say that. Max, you’re a good person, I know it, and so will she.” Max stayed silent; Jess sighed and said, “We’re here.” She pulled into the lot and while the car was parked, she turned to Max, “please, at least say hi to her. I swear she’ll like you.” Max still didn’t believe her, but he wanted to meet Michelle, and that certainly wasn’t going to happen if he just sat there.

It felt odd for Max to be inside a daycare. None of the kids were related to him, so he felt out of place. He felt like the moms and teachers were staring at him like he drove in with a windowless van and candy. But Jess, she navigated the daycare like a pro. Weaving around the kids, talking to the teachers, it was natural for her. While she was talking to one of the teachers, a little girl in pigtails came up to Max. She tugged at his baggy jeans, curling her fingers into the fabric. Max was confused, but he didn’t want to upset the girl, “What is it?” he asked. She took his hand and pulled him across the room to a small yellow table, where a few stuffed animals sat in tiny pink chairs. Max took his place beside a worn out teddy bear. This little girl was doing nothing good for his paranoia. He felt the mother’s stares piercing him like daggers and their whispers grinding against his ears like nails on a chalkboard. He was about to get up and leave when the girl put a plate in front of him. She sat across from him with her own plate, and began to pretend to eat the plastic steak. Max began to follow suit, not sure of what else he could do. Something seemed odd about this girl to Max, the others were all playing together, but this girl was alone in the corner. None of the other kids would talk to her.

As Max pondered her loneliness, Jess walked over, “See, I told you you’d get along.” The little girl jumped up to her feet and raced to hug Jess. Holding her tight, the girl buried her face into Jess, and Jess responded by petting the girl’s head. When the girl let go, Jess kneeled, kissing the little girl on the cheek and forehead, “Sweetie, this is mommy’s friend Max, say hi.” The girl remained silent, “Max, this is Michelle, my daughter.”

“Hey, Michelle.” Max greeted the girl. Michelle looked at Max for a moment then went to fetch her bag, and while she was gone, Max and Jess began to talk, “She is sweet…” max said slightly smiling. “Now that I think about it, she looks like you.”

Jess turned towards Michelle who was packing her bag with the crafts of the day, smiling fondly, she said, “She seems to like you.”

“You think so?” Max asked as Michelle came back.

“I know so.” Jess responded. Michelle took her mom’s hand, and tugged her towards the door, handing her a drawing in crayon, the picture was of a park, with bluish green grass and bulging trees, and sick figures at play. “You want to go to the park, sweetie?” Jess asked smiling and kneeling beside Michelle who nodded, “Then let’s go.” Michelle hugged her mom for a brief second but quickly released and ran for the door. After saying her goodbyes and fussing with the car-seat, Jess took the wheel again. They drove a few blocks, Michelle humming some made up song the entire way. When they reached the park, Michelle ran to the open sandbox, where no other kid was playing. Jess and Max sat on a bench, keeping a watchful eye on her.

“Has she always been like this?” Max asked. Jess looked at max, and gave a sad smile.

“She was born like this.” She said, “The doctors say she’s autistic.” She looked back to Michelle.

“What’s that mean?” Max asked.

“No one seems to be sure. She just doesn’t seem to process things like others.”

“Is there a treatment for it?”

“None that’s known.” Jess looked back at Max, smiling, “Its ok. I’m fine with her just the way she is.” She looked happily at her daughter, who had made her way to the swing set, “No matter what happens, and no matter who she becomes, I will always love her, even after I’m long gone.” Max and Jess hardly spoke the rest of the day; instead, they played with the silent Michelle. After a few hours, the poor girl was worn out, and so they strapped her into the car seat and began the drive home. By the time they reached Max’s house, Michelle had fallen asleep. Jess got out of the car and walked with Max to his door. “Thank you for today max.” Jess said with a smile, “it was fun.”

“Yeah,” max said rubbing his neck and turning to face Jess’s car, “She’s really sweet.” He smiled.

Jess turned the same way, “She’s something alright. You we’re really good with her, you know?” she looked back to Max and he turned to meet her gaze.

“You really think so?” he asked, unsure that it was true. “I just played with her.”

Jess smiled, “That’s all it takes really.” Her hair glowed auburn as it caught the light of the setting sun and her bright eyes melted away Max’s icy shell. “Maybe,” she said softly, “you could come to pick her up with me tomorrow too. How does that sound?”

“Yes.” Max responded without hesitation, “I think I’d like that.” He smiled at her. They were silent, baking in the warmth of each other’s presence, Max found himself lost in her kind features, moving from her delicate curls to her bright green eyes, down her high cheekbones and pale cheeks, over her beautiful nose that was neither too big or too small, and down to her plump rosy lips that were curled into a gentle smile. Time had seemed to slow, and this moment seemed to stretch, slowly, the two seemed to lean in towards one another, inching closer and closer, and after it seemed hours had passed, they pressed their lips together, moving in sync with one another and it was then they shared their first kiss. For the first time in their lives, Jess and Max were truly happy.

A month went by; the warm happiness that Max and Jess had felt that first day out with Michelle was now becoming an everyday routine. After school, they would pick up Michelle and spend their days together. Today, however, was different. Jess was absent from school. It was extremely unlike her to miss classes. Worried she was sick, Max made an attempt to call her, and when she didn’t answer her phone his worry became even worse. He decided to skip his remaining classes and head for her place. Jess lived with her mom who worked long hours and was almost never home, because of this, Jess had given him a spare key. When he got there, he had hoped to find Jess sick in bed, but he only found the empty house. He walked over to the house phone, thinking maybe Jess’s mom could tell her where she was. He typed in the number and waited for the call to transfer over. “Hello,” she answered, “Johnson and Johnson Real-estate, how may I help you?”

“Mary, it’s Max, Jess’s friend. Have you seen her?” he asked, “she wasn’t at school and she’s not home. Did she have an appointment or something?”

“Not that I’m aware of. I haven’t seen her all day.” Mary’s voice seemed to tremble, “Please Max,” she sounded even more worried now, “Can you please look for her? I’ll take off early and go get Michelle, you just worry about Jess.”

“I will.”

“And please, bring her home when you find her, Promise me that.” Her voice was becoming teary.

“I promise.” Max agreed without a second thought. He hung up the phone and hastily made his way to the car. He looked in all the familiar places; the park where they played, Jess’s favorite restaurant, he even drove by the school again, just to be certain, but Jess was nowhere to be found. He headed by his own house, thinking perhaps she went there. When he reached his door, he found a note taped to it. The note read: “If you want to see your w***e again, make your way to 18th street tonight, and be prepared to pay up and apologize.” The note infuriated Max, far past any point he had reached before, his veins felt as if they were on fire, pulsing with every beat of his heart. He felt sick, like there was a pit in his stomach and a lump in his throat. He crushed the paper in his fist and stomped off to his car, slamming the door shut behind him as he got in. His thoughts raged, but the loudest of these thoughts was this son of a b***h is going to pay.

It was reaching 11 p.m., but max had not moved from his spot on 18th street since he arrived around five hours ago. Max’s patience was reaching its limit, but soon, a man came towards him. The man tapped on Max’s window, “Yo, you Max?”

Max grabbed him by the shirt, gripping with all his fury, “You the one that took Jess?”

“Whoa man, no! I’m just supposed to take you to meet a buddy of mine.” Max released him.

“Take me to him.” Max demanded. The man led max to an old house covered in graffiti. Outside the house sat a handful of thugs, going about their business, some gambling, some showing off a new tattoo, and some harassing Max as he walked by them.

“He’s in there.” The messenger motioned towards the door. Max immediately walked inside the house. On the floor of the worn out living room, lay Jess. Her clothes were torn, she was battered and bloodied. Max ran to her side, rolling her over to face him.

“Jess, can you hear me?” max asked, choking back tears. Jess groaned and forced her eyes open.

“Max?” she asked in a quiet voice, almost too faint to hear, “Max, Michelle, we need to pick her up…” she gave a sharp groan as a twinge of pain shot through her.

“Your mom is getting Michelle, it’s my job to get you home.” The tears welled up in max’s eyes as he looked at Jess’s now paler face. Her bright eyes began to dim and Max couldn’t help but to cry. “I have to get you home…”

“Wow, you do have a heart.” Max looked up and saw a kid around his age walk into the room. “Didn’t think you’d show up; guess that means I lost twenty bucks.” His face was one Max had seen before, but couldn’t place.

Max glared at him, “Who are you?” max asked before putting Jess back on the floor.

“Really? I mean, Really? You don’t remember the face of the guy you beat?” Max began to realize that this guy, was the one he had beaten up just three months ago, The one who had called Jess a W***e. “My name is Jake.” Max’s glare grew fierce; he bolted up, and made his way to Jake. Max Forced Jake against the wall.

“Why did you do this?” Max shouted, “Why did you do this to her?! Tell me!” Max held nothing back as he forced Jake against the wall.

“Because you took something from me, so I took something from you.” Jake responded while gagging and choking.

“What are you talking about?” Max asked.

“Remember once when you beat that grown man so severely, that he was admitted to the hospital?”

“Maybe, but what does that matter?”

“That man was my Brother. He was hurt so bad he couldn’t work. He lost his job, his wife and kids, and eventually he took his own life! You took away the only family I had left that I actually liked!” Jake punched Max, forcing him back.

“I’m sorry about your brother, but that’s no excuse for what you did to her! I mean look at her, she’s barely breathing. I left him with more than that. It’s not my fault he committed suicide!” Max gave Jake two shots to the stomach, knocking the wind from him. Jake lunged at Max, and began to throw punches wildly, with no real purpose other than to inflict damage. Max knocked him down to his knees and proceeded to kick Jake until he was out.

With the fight finished, Max made his way back to Jess, “Jess, it’s over. We can go home now. Come on, Michelle is waiting.” Max tried to pick up Jess, but she had grown too heavy. “Come on Jess,” tears began to fall from Max’s eyes, “I’ve got to get you home.” His head hunched over and the tears fell on Jess’s face.

Her eyes barely opened, “Max,” she said weakly, “Please, don’t worry about me.” Her hand inched towards Max’s, “Max, I need you to make me a promise.” She weekly took hold of his hand, her fingers were cold like ice, “Can you do that?”

Max shushed her, “Please, don’t try to talk, you’ll hurt yourself.”

“Can you promise me?” she asked in her faint voice.

Swallowing back tears, max answered, “Yes, anything, just tell me what it is.”

“Max,” she gasped for air, pulling at his heart even more, “I want you to take care of Michelle, she really seemed to like you.” She struggled for air, coughing and gasping, “Can you promise me that?”

“I won’t have to,” max argued, trying to swallow the lump in his throat, “cause you’ll be there. I-I’ll call an ambulance, and they’ll get you to the hospital and then you’ll be be-be-better, and Michelle won’t have to be alone and-“

“Sh-shhhh, Max,” Jess gasped between her words, “Please, just say you’ll take care of her.” her hand moved towards his cheek, gently caressing it with her icy fingers.

Max nodded, “I will, I will I promise.” The tears could not be stopped now; but despite the tears, he took out his phone, and dialed 911, “Please, send an ambulance. My friend, she’s been hurt bad. Just please, hurry.” He hung up. “Jess, are you still there?” Her heart beat was growing weaker. “Jess, there’s something I have to tell you.” She didn’t respond, “Jess, the past few months have been the best I’ve ever had. I fell in love with you, and I love Michelle. I’d do anything for you two. I don’t want to be without you Jess; I don’t think I can go it alone. Jess, I need you here, Michelle needs you, what will we do without you?” The tears were over-flowing, stinging Max’s eyes as they came cascading down. Sirens began to whirl outside.

The funeral was small; after all, Jess was just about as alone in the world as Max was. The service was nothing really spectacular, but it was good for what they could afford. Max had spent the day consoling Mary, and where ever he was, Michelle was never far behind. Tagging along with him like a duckling and its parent. When the speeches were done, it was time for farewells. Max followed Mary, and Michelle clung to Max’s hand. When it was their turn, Max lifted her so that she may see her mother’s face for the last time. “Jess,” max said, “I love you, and I’ll always remember you.” He turned to Michelle, “Do you want to say goodbye?” Michelle said nothing, but instead reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. Painted on it was the park, and there in the park were three people, two taller ones, and a small one. They looked like a family, “who’s that?” Max asked, but instead of saying anything, she pointed to the woman, and then at Jess. “So that’s your mom and you huh?” Max smiled solemnly, then who is the man in it?” he asked, and she simply pointed at Max. He began to cry, but held back for Michelle’s sake. He hugged her tightly and took the painting and put it in the casket with Jess. Michelle hugged Max tightly, crying.

“I’ll watch Michelle, please, go to the wake.” Max insisted. Mary needed some time with her family but she knew that Michelle wouldn’t like being with a bunch of crying adults so she agreed. Max put Michelle in the car seat, and he drove to the park. There they mostly sat and fed the birds. They sat there on that bench for three hours. Michelle leaned her head on Max and he wrapped his arm around her, “What are we going to do now?” Max asked rhetorically, “what happens now?” Michelle snuggled in close to max, warming his cold spirit.

“We become a family.” The words came unexpectedly from Michelle. Max was shocked, but tears seemed to well up inside him, this time however, they were for joy.

“Yeah,” he choked back the tears and looked to the sunset, “Let’s be a family.”

© 2013 Lorraine Hampton


Author's Note

Lorraine Hampton
Warning: this piece contains violence and strong language. Please remember that this piece is only a first draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on February 22, 2013
Last Updated on March 19, 2013
Tags: violence, tragedy, autism

Author

Lorraine Hampton
Lorraine Hampton

Louisville, KY



About
I have a love for the tragic, a knack for language, and a love of writing. I hope to someday write in a professional manner. I am also an artist, and like to capture humanity's contradictions. My writ.. more..

Writing