GARDEN PESTS

GARDEN PESTS

A Story by papaed
"

Answer to a short story challenge... 200 words with a starting phrase.

"

I looked around the room.  Nothing seemed unusual, but then the bed lamp began to flicker.  Tiny sparkles fell from the shade over the clock radio.  The digital face went bright and the radio came on loud.

I spun to be sure the door was closed and crab-walked toward the window, one eye on the light shade.


My daughter insisted we let them stay in the garden where toadstools and wildflowers were abundant.  But, why, or how, would one come into the house?  I eased the window up and reached through to raise the screen.


“Stephanie!”  She better be home!


“Yes daddy.” I jumped and bumped my head.  She was standing in the doorway, looking guilty. 


The creature rose from the shade.  Its alien big eyes, pointed nose, tiny breast buds, very white skin, and dangling pencil thin legs with pointed toes held me spellbound.  Its gossamer wings reflected changing pastel colors.


“She needs a house, daddy.”  My heart melted as I thought about this.  


“Let’s run down to the shop and see what we can do about that, honey.”  


Stephanie squealed with happiness.  The fairy bobbed and bounced toward the open window, a shower of sparkly dust trailing behind. 

© 2009 papaed


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congratulations for winning the Writer's Nook contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Awww, this was truly a joy to read. Beautifully penned with
such fantastic imagery....what a delight! Thank you for
submitting this magical short story to my contest!

Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago


Such tenderness and so sweet! Lovely!

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jen
Very cute. I really like this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 11, 2009
Last Updated on June 14, 2009

Author

papaed
papaed

Kansas City, MO



About
no erudite pontifications, no complex extrapolations no intentional hurtful lies, just simple age-wise aliteration and prose, of a man who's in the throes of living day to day from his head down to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Cool as glass Cool as glass

A Story by Anya