MAN'S PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE

MAN'S PLACE IN THE UNIVERSE

A Poem by papaed
"

An acrostic using "I am a man in love with the setting stars," a line from Robert Bly's "The Night Abraham Called to the Stars."

"

I lie in the grass on this dark night.

AM lost in contemplation.

A shooting star sends out its light.

MAN has watched since thought’s formation.

IN a meditative state, reality is illusive.

LOVE of nature alludes to comprehension.

WITH Science, answers are inconclusive.

THE truth may involve another dimension,

SETTING man’s place in the universe,

STARS influence and are still inconsequential.

© 2009 papaed


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dear papaed,

I am not usually a fan of acrostic poetry because I think the artificial constraints of the form hamper and hobble to message and poetic art. However this did not seem to be a porblem with this poem. As you know, this is a subject matter which consumes much of my own poetry. So it is not surprising that I should really love this piece. My bias with this subject matter aside, however, I think you have done a wonderful job in a very short poem to capture the wonderings of Man about his place in the Universe.

Excellent job. Much enjoyed.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


I've always loved the sky, the starts, the sun... and wondering what may be in the universe that we can't see.. its's so large and so small. This piece invokes these thoughts. I love it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Excellent Acrostic. It was a beautiful piece to read. The imagery was excellent.

Posted 14 Years Ago


A great handling of the rules that produced this wonderful acrostic!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like this work, especially the last line: STARS influence and are still inconsequential. Whether they were being viewed as god, helping sailors navigate, or assisting scientist in their work, their magnificent contributions are in the end inconsequential. That is so powerful to me.

I am glad I discovered your work. I am going to read you more regularly.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yes, well done papead...an interesting write! ~ Helena

Posted 14 Years Ago


loved the imagery. and a nice poem. only problem, the last word is SUN not STARS. I enjoyed it though. tovli

Posted 14 Years Ago


Beautifully done

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very beautiful! Lovely!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really dig this, it has a good flow and, for an acrostic, is very original. Also I feel what you're saying about the answers don't always follow the logic defines this plane of existance. You did a lot with very little words, that's something I can appreciate. Thanks for writing something worth reading and I hope I was of assistance.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2009
Last Updated on August 19, 2009

Author

papaed
papaed

Kansas City, MO



About
no erudite pontifications, no complex extrapolations no intentional hurtful lies, just simple age-wise aliteration and prose, of a man who's in the throes of living day to day from his head down to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Helena Helena

A Poem by Tate Morgan