Choice

Choice

A Story by papaed
"

250 word bio with given beginning and end

"

 Oh? Then, I should speak about choices. It’s the best way to answer your question.  And yes, it’s true I’ve not been employed in 37 years.

 

I was never really comfortable working at a desk in a room filled with Engineers wearing white shirts and dark ties.  I wore my hair a little long.  I ripped my tie off after work with a little too much gusto.  I tended to day dream and write poetry at my desk. 

 

I equated office work with confinement, control, false values, drudgery, and growing fat and lethargic.  I had little respect for thirty year “desk jockeys.”  My spirit was elsewhere.

 

I moved to a small town and began to commute and rebuild an old farm house.  On weekends I wore work boots and overalls and felt empowered.  I used my chain saw, worked in my garden, breathed unfiltered air and smiled often.  

 

Then I lost my job. 

I equated self-employment with freedom, health, real values, and happiness.  So, I registered a fictitious name, made a business plan, bought some tools, advertised, hired helpers and began to run my own company.

 

It’s been a roller coaster thrill ride during which I expanded consciousness and sensitivity, expressed my muse, moved through subcultures, professions, bad times and really good times.  

 

In this album we see pictures of smiling grandchildren, of Christmas and birthday parties, of houses I’ve loved, and a picture of myself in a conservative suit with serious expression.  Just remember, that is only appearance.

© 2009 papaed


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear papaed,

A very revealing bio. Searching for real values. Searching for freedom and meaning. A life's goal and ambition. I understand so fully. Yes, the ups and downs. But then the excitement. Freedom is expensive, but worth every penny. Here's to your success in business, life, and self-discovery. The journey is all.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Man does that ever sound like my mind

Posted 14 Years Ago


so sorry to be such a snail in responding. a lot of techno troubles and life/work in general. This is just very awesome. Loved it. such depth in such a short piece! tovli

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dear papaed,

A very revealing bio. Searching for real values. Searching for freedom and meaning. A life's goal and ambition. I understand so fully. Yes, the ups and downs. But then the excitement. Freedom is expensive, but worth every penny. Here's to your success in business, life, and self-discovery. The journey is all.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You don't happen to live in the North Country, do you? Your story could describe so many I met and admired while I was living there! I know exactly how you feel, counting down the years myself until I also break free and live the way I want to. Authenticity never has a false plan! Kudos to you on both a wonderful write, and a compelling story behind it.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 28, 2009

Author

papaed
papaed

Kansas City, MO



About
no erudite pontifications, no complex extrapolations no intentional hurtful lies, just simple age-wise aliteration and prose, of a man who's in the throes of living day to day from his head down to.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..