21st century

21st century

A Poem by eglantine

It's the age of fast food
and protected sex.

We wear the skin of
young stars and flaunt
our mundane lives as if
they were universes,
thinking someone, God perhaps,
actually cared what class
got canceled or how drunk
we were last night.

We've lobotomized ourselves
like lobsters--eyes-first
into boiling water,
our flesh tender
and craving acceptance.

We follow needles,
whether in a clock or syringe,
because something
(faith, work, drugs)
has to fuel our mannequins.

We carve into ourselves
searching for the one gear
that will turn the world
in our favor. But blood
is red, space is black
and stars are silver
surgical tools.

© 2012 eglantine


Author's Note

eglantine
instead of "actually cared what class" in second stanza, should it be "actually gave a fuck about what class"

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

My fave from your "recents". It didn't sound cocky or presumptuous though the voice is assertive. The language you used has a tight grip. I couldn't agree more to the 3rd stanza, and "lobotomize" is one of the words I've been meaning to use in a poem. haha. but oh well, you owned it. dang! :))

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

ooo you should use it and then send me a read request!!! Thanks for reading :)
TLK

11 Years Ago

I've just realised the homophonic tendencies of 'lobotomize' and 'lobster' thanks to this review. I .. read more



Reviews

you couldn't have said it better! very impressive poem.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This represents the feelings of futility we face living in the western world. Perhaps God, frustrated this, lemming like that... Charlie Chaplin said it well in the movie Modern Times...remember the famous scene where the tramp is inside the gears of the machine.

Human's struggle with the connection between spiritual and physical. We perceive dazzling visions of eternal consequence yet we find ourselves sitting on the toilet at least once a day if we are healthy. :-)

To become a Poet Laureate you must continue considering these larger issues, while at the same time not taking yourself too seriously. I think perhaps you are on the right path.

PS - No use using vulgarity unless it suits a purpose. In this poem it would limit its scope. Great comics use very little or none at all - mediocre comics use it because shock is easier than brilliance.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

yes, that is what I think as well. I'm going to leave the swear word out. Thank you!
Yes, I think you can go with "gave a f**k about what class" in the second stanza. Or maybe you could perform it that way at a reading or something.

I really like what you did with "We've lobotomized ourselves/like lobsters." That is a great simile and awesome alliteration. But I wondered about the action of the lobotomy. Yes, I agree that we lobotomize ourselves, and I think that it is a great point to suggest that the stars are the instruments which preform the procedure. However, are we not the ones who lobotomize the lobsters? So maybe it is a question of entities higher on the food chain exerting their influence on those of a lower rung.

Yes, I apologize for the long, vastly incoherent rant. Probably the beer talking a tad.

At any rate, I really did enjoy this poem and I appreciate the fact that you sent me a request to read it. Good morning to you!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I think "actually cared what class" is better. "f**k" kind off throws off the feel of the peom. Nice work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

ya, that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks!
I loved it, the last line especially, and this: "We wear the skin of
young stars "...I always thought of the night sky as having a membrane, like skin.

Posted 11 Years Ago


As Tonto famously said to the Lone Ranger when the latter exclaimed "We're surrounded!" (by hostile Native-Americans): "What do you mean, WE, kemosabe?"

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little lives are rounded with a sleep," sayeth the Bard.

The consensus media "we" (apparently made of some kind of astral cheese) is not significantly countered by academia or other mainstream institutions. It is all Flatland. 2500 yrs. ago Gautama Buddha realized the "I" opens to adamantine infinity, or "God." So most of our conversations egregiously omit the realizations of the senior class on this patiently spinning globe. "We" do not actually exist in the manner we chronically presume.

That said, your poem is a useful scalpel for the sleepwalking "we" norm's more ludicrous contemporary preoccupations. "But blood is red, space is black and stars are silver surgical tools."

For removing fallacious identity emphases, perhaps? Intriguing central edge.

"I" is a koan.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you for this very insightful review
The med school student beams given his tubular body bag ,shiny Patin plastic Thick Zipper conceals death the thing that was person ,life Dreams,to be your clay to mold,to carve to learn to save life,to make life smile again.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you :)
must say amazing composition...great selection of words and above all excellent flow :-)

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

why thank you very much
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
G!o
"But blood is read, space is black and starts are silver surgical tools" this line creates a really tight finisher. Original and with wisdom, well penned...i can't help but admire your brain lol...amazing thinking.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you very much G!o :)
I enjoy this, I like critical words - and this has lots to offer, like the fine last line, silver, surgical stars, hard alliteration, and the lobster line is great too - fine job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

thank you :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

906 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2012
Last Updated on October 25, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..