The Tyndall Effect

The Tyndall Effect

A Poem by E. L. Foley
"

Poetic Description of a physical phenomenon

"

Softest gray mist
hanging pensive around
proud pines,
obscuring crunching gravel path,
sent ablaze of diamonds hovering
by swishing lines of headlights
far off in the distance.

Light disperses when passing through colloidal particles in suspension.

© 2010 E. L. Foley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

physics as poetry....concise...lovely alliteration....and the last line of light is inventive....

Posted 13 Years Ago


You have done well with this poem that also teaches...love the final line with the scientific information. Beauty and science in one poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Oh sweet fog....
How you set the mood.
Beautiful poem. Crafty and clean.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yes, it is physical phenomenon, I liked your presentation. nice alliterations. thanks also for reviewing my piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the beautiful imagery, in that it's captivating and enchanting.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very vivid... the description in this is really intense and your word choice is great. I loved how pensive and crunching and ablaze feel extremely hard hitting because of the way you've set up the rhythm and the flow. The other words like softest, swishing and hovering sound so soft and hushed. Each feeling is experienced as it should and you've done a marvelous job describing them so expressively.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Dear E. L.,

A very simple and clean poem that was greatly enjoyed. And thanks for introducing me to the work of John Tyndall. I am intimately familiar with aerosol scattering as my company builds real-time video electronics that removes its effects so the user can see up to three times further through fog, mist, haze, smoke, blowing dust, and murky water. However I was unaware of the person who did the first basic work in this area. And the introduction was so gentle and poetic. Many thanks!

Beautiful writing.

Best regards,

Rick

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

6792 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2010
Last Updated on May 14, 2010
Tags: Science, Colloids, Mist, Light, Chemistry

Author

E. L. Foley
E. L. Foley

It Depends



About
Currently studying Physics, my other pursuits are largely done in the time stolen from lab reports, badly botched circuit building, and endless problems. I knit, write (obviously, though I'm not very.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


digging deep digging deep

A Poem by Emily B