When Atlanta Flooded in 2009

When Atlanta Flooded in 2009

A Poem by Alisa Lawton
"

Wanted to capture the moment of how I felt when looking at an area of nature that turned into a big pond during the flood when a few weeks ago when I was in the same spot it was dry and grassy.

"

Serene it was as I stood there hands in pockets staring at its golden reflection. A golden lake where a few weeks ago none existed.

And I pondered how something so quietly beautiful was created out of such massive chaos. That barrage of fierce lightening, breath stealing crackling thunder releasing twenty plus inches of rain, birthing within hours this golden
 sanctuary.

And I realized in the game of paper, scissors, rock that nature is always scissors cutting down houses of drywall because paper always looses.

And my God the looses.

Homes, cars, toys, pets and nine people lost their lives.

To water.

To that which sits so calmly before me. A tributary to the mighty Chattahoochee river.

This beauty out of chaos.

The mother nature of it all.

© 2009 Alisa Lawton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You captured the moment perfectly in this piece. I couldn't even imagine witnessing something so horrible, how it goes from one thing to another.
I love the line :
"And I realized in the game of paper, scissors, rock that nature is always scissors cutting down houses of drywall because paper always looses."
I love the comparison and the last three words "paper always looses." That line stood out to me, it was creative and I think perfect for the description. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 21, 2009

Author

Alisa Lawton
Alisa Lawton

Atlanta, GA



About
I'm a poet who writes poetry to inspire, encourage and motivate people to achieve their goals. I have been writing poetry since 1983 and started writing motivational poetry this summer. I write a moti.. more..

Writing