Reading Culture in The World Today

Reading Culture in The World Today

A Story by Mirror



The importance of acquiring reading skills for individual's success in life cannot be over-emphasized. It is a well known fact that when there were no televisions, handsets and computers, people spent hours reading books and traveled to lands far away in their minds. The problem is that with time, people have lost their passion to read because there are several other exciting options available, aside from books these days. This is a shame because reading offers a productive approach to improving vocabulary and word power. The acquisition of reading skills does not only affect or improve confidence in language arts, but also in other subjects such as social studies, science, and mathematics and so on. Poor reading skill can make a child develop poor attitude to school and it can create self-esteem problems later in life. How about Adults?
Reading is an active mental process: Unlike TV, books make you use your brain. By reading, you think more and become smarter. It is a fundamental skill builder: Every good course on the planet has a matching book to go with it. Why? Because book help clarify difficult concepts. Books provide information that goes deeper than just classroom discussions. Improves your vocabulary: While reading books, especially challenging ones, you will find yourself exposed to many new words. Gives you a glimpse into other cultures and places: Books can expand your horizons by letting you see what other cities, countries, and cultures seem like and what they have to offer. Other advantage of reading include improving concentration and focus, building self-esteem, improving memory, learning ability to aid independently, improving creativity, giving you something to talk about, reducing stress, and finally you will make more money in reading. gives reasons why people read thus: a) Reading is a tool of self improvement leading to do-it-yourself techniques acquisition, equipping oneself with skills for better job. b) Reading for pleasure and relaxation. c) Reading is status symbols - this involves the prestige and value society places on reading rather than nothing. According to several studies show a disturbing relationship between reading/early literacy and child's emotional, mental health and social behaviour. 
A study done in the United State of America, showed that reading was correlated with the delinquency independent of neighborhood, ethnicity, and family involvement effects, was the same in both ethnic groups sampled and was constant over the age range studies. The degree of seriousness of delinquent act was directly correlated to the degree of severity of reading problem. In order words, the more serious the reading problem, the more serious the delinquent acts. The study also showed that early in the primary grades, children who are struggling with literacy begin to experience failure, and with it a potentially devastating cascade of related negative effects in their development of inter-and-intra-personal skills. These effects can include task-avoidance and acting out social behaviours, lowered levels of personal regard, and seeking of personal validation in venues less pro-social than school.
In Nigeria, a study carried out, reveals that 40 percent of adult Nigerians never read a non-fiction book from cover to cover after they finished school. The average Nigerian reads less than one book per year, in fact only one percent of successful men and women in Nigeria read one nonfiction book per month. In the same study, 30 million Nigerians have graduated from high school with poor reading skills. 
They are simply lazy, they are surrounded by so many distractions, especially television, radio, social activities while others never get around doing any serious reading. Some Nigerians do not read probably because they are not working in the right field(s). If regular reading and studying is a required condition of your job or profession, this in effect means you read, but under duress. This is so because people have not been told or realized how important reading is.

Co-author: Smears L.

© 2017 Mirror


Author's Note

Mirror
This was a research work. Can help someone out there.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thank you for this thougtful piece. Reading it I pondered whether today's environment is conducive to teading, with all its distractions. Indeed, reading is a discipline, even an art that if painstakingly cultivated could preserve our heritage and culture. So well written dear Mirror!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mirror

6 Years Ago

Yes, Div. It is a discipline. Yes, too much distractions too. Thank you for reading Div. Thanks



Reviews

Thank you for this thougtful piece. Reading it I pondered whether today's environment is conducive to teading, with all its distractions. Indeed, reading is a discipline, even an art that if painstakingly cultivated could preserve our heritage and culture. So well written dear Mirror!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mirror

6 Years Ago

Yes, Div. It is a discipline. Yes, too much distractions too. Thank you for reading Div. Thanks
it is a known fact if parents would insist their children read a book weely it would change their lives great wisdom my friend

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mirror

6 Years Ago

Yes my dearest friend. very true. That is what I and Coyote just shared. Parents do help. But in wid.. read more
I agree with you 100%. In my youth. At eight years old. I was reading Jack London books cover to cover. I thirst for knowledge. I wanted to understand my world and learn about new places. Today kids. Accept opinions without seeking the real truth. Books have been my friends for many years. A worthwhile and needed flow of words and thoughts. Thank you dear friend for sharing and reading.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mirror

6 Years Ago

Coyote, those years are not so far apart. What makes the mirage distance is rapid growth of technolo.. read more
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

I agree my friend. I love reading and I read everything I can daily.
This was cool to read. I've always found reading important and it is nice to hear there is evidence that shows just how important it is. I think you found some really good evidence to get your point across.
If I was giving any critiques, I would mention that perhaps stating the sources you used would help to validate your points. Also if you had a clear conclusion. It seemed to end a bit abruptly.
I'm really happy I came across this writing. I'm going to go read a book now!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mirror

6 Years Ago

Thank you ma, the point noted. it is a full research work. maybe i should have posted abstract and g.. read more
H L Rose

6 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm sure you are a reader if you wrote this so dito!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2017
Last Updated on October 6, 2017
Tags: Discipline

Author

Mirror
Mirror

Calabar, South South, Nigeria



About
I am simple, easy going, moody at times, but very playful sometimes i don't recognize myself. what i know is that in those playful times, everyone want to be like me. Yet, behind the curtains of my sm.. more..

Writing
Rape Rape

A Poem by Mirror



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Pain Pain

A Poem by A. Amos


Forever Young Forever Young

A Poem by Gee