How To Say Goodbye

How To Say Goodbye

A Story by Emilia Kingsley
"

Prompt fill: "I've never been good at goodbyes but I have no idea how I will say goodbye to you."

"

She hated this. These moments in life when you were forced to say farewell, to let go of something that is so very important to you.



“I’ve never been good at goodbyes,” she stuttered, “But I have no idea how I will say goodbye to you.” A quiet sob broke in upon the last word.

“You were there for me through the good times and bad. When I was lonely, you were the friend I came to. Now you’re leaving and I feel helpless to stop it. I can’t hold on to you, can’t pretend this will last just a little longer, I know this is how it always ends.”



Her eyes squeezed shut. Why get upset over something that you know will happen? It has happened before, and it will again. It was an inevitable part of her life.

As a girl, it hadn’t affected her much. Children are like that. Things and people come and go as easily as broken toys.

She knew that as hard as this was right now, the sadness would pass. She would replace this dear friend all too soon, and maybe, maybe this would be one that she would return to one day, when she needed a reminder of days past.



Slowly, she opened her eyes and filled her gaze with the sight before her, drinking in the view soon to be gone.

“Well, this is it… Goodbye.”



A single tear fell from shining eyes, dampening the final page.

She closed the book.

© 2016 Emilia Kingsley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautifully written. I can feel the pain and the resistance against letting go.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Added on May 5, 2016
Last Updated on May 11, 2016
Tags: short story, prompt fill, saying goodbye, sadness, books, goodbye, I honestly don't know whether to, humour, angst

Author

Emilia Kingsley
Emilia Kingsley

Canada



About
Simply a young on-and-off writer hoping to better myself through practice and some constructive criticism. more..

Writing