Drowning My Sorrows

Drowning My Sorrows

A Story by emily joe
"

Taking the cliche 'Drowning My Sorrows' very literally.

"

The water was cold at first. It came out slow, but then faster, and faster. I stepped into the tub, fully clothed in sheets of black. The tattoos on my stomach faded, until the colors twirled around, riding the small waves that my subtle movements had fashioned. I was at peace.

 

 My ears went first; and then my cheeks. The water flooded my flat, imperfect, face, and I smiled. Just before my eyes were consumed by the unforgiving water, I looked over at the toilet, to the half- empty bottle of Jack, and then down to the once white, and now brown, linoleum floor.

 

Under the water, I was finally alone. Nobody could hear my screams, or see the scars. Nobody could hurt me, like the world had always seemed to want to do. I was a mistake of birth, a victim of society, nothing more than a corrupted waste of life.

 

And now I've come to learn that I'm not the only one. Not the only girl, in the only small town, who swore she'd never love. Whose heart was guarded by black, withered leaves of ivy, and thorns. And does the world need any more?

 

The water was cold at first, but now my body is numb. I sank to the bottom, and rid the world of my relentless spirit. Life had nothing left to give me, so I drowned my sorrows in the tub.

© 2010 emily joe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very surreal piece... I have to wonder bout people who really do such a thing... they believe they are strong for doing it when actually they are weak... I agree with the other person, you leave some to the read as to what happened in the end... did they die literally or find the truth underwater and become born again.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well, thank you very kindly for ruining my jovial mood. I think I'll go slit my wrists now.

Oh, and this was great.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Just before my eyes were consumed by the unforgiving water, I looked over at the toilet, to the half- empty bottle of Jack, and then down to the once white, and now brown, linoleum floor." I like the way this sentence flows.

This is a really neat piece of writing. Very expressive :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this. I very much enjoy your writings. You have and incredible imagery. I really liked this I like how u described ur heart as guarded by black thorns it has a good image in my mind.Very very good. Your writings are short but the emotion is so clearly there its incredible

Posted 13 Years Ago


I thought this was really good. I think a lot of people have felt like this before. I like the repetition of "The water was cold at first" in the first and last paragraphs. NIce work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


this was really good.. Just know you arent alone in feeling the way you do. there are alot of other people who feel the same way.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You're a versatile young writer. After reading the poem about your mom I did not know you had this in you. Keep it up.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice piece of 'flash fiction, perhaps? A disturbing theme, but presented well. I'm glad the subject wasn't you. :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very Creative and interesting, keep up the good work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well written and disturbing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This piece is very realistic, and yet so powerful. It describes a very relatable emotion. It almost made me cry! Very descriptive as well, job well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

846 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2010
Last Updated on July 17, 2010

Author

emily joe
emily joe

Chicago, IL



About
Emily, 20, currently living in Chicago. Funny story: I dropped out of college after wrangling mental illness my freshmen year and have since been figuring out what the f**k I want to do with me li.. more..

Writing
To The Sun To The Sun

A Poem by emily joe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Numb Numb

A Poem by emily joe