Mirrors

Mirrors

A Poem by emipoemi

The glass is wide, the glass is small,

The frame is short, the frame is tall,

Whate’er the case, ’twould still reveal

The simple, true, profound, surreal.

 

Within a mirror we would see

That which we know ourselves to be.

Yet should we venture deeper we

Would chance on our mortality.

 

Such spectral marvel on the sly

Would change its form as time goes by,

Providing us with subtle signs

Of how our vibrancy declines.

 

No tugs or twitches would we feel

As our soul parts, and makes us kneel

Before the image in the glass,

Informing us it’s time to pass.

 

’Twould, then, extend a tender hand,

And lead us to a wonderland,

Where nothing pains and nothing mars;

Where we may lie amidst the stars.

 

Within a mirror we would see

The person we have grown to be,

And what we all would apprehend

When silenced sounds forebode the end.


-EDP

© 2017 emipoemi


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this! It gives me Alice through the Looking Glass sort of vibe, none the less I enjoyed it! I really liked the rhyme, it gave the poem that much more. I see what you mean though, we grow through the ages and as we get older we start to fade away and sooner or later we turn into nothing. Another important note is that we need a mirror to see it all, like its the only way we can really see ourselves. Good job, I really enjoyed it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

So glad you did! Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Much appreciated.
This is a talented write, a joy to read. It's not so easy to look in the mirror now. I haven't changed the way I feel about things over the years, but my once youthful vibrant appearance is without doubt on the wane. Fortunately I have good relationships, I have children, grandchildren and they don't care at all about the outward appearance, they know the person inside. But it isn't easy to adjust to your own mortality and to be constantly reminded of the passing years. You have written a poem here with universal appeal.

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

That's precisely what I intend to do with the grand majority of my poems. So glad you enjoyed this. .. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

My pleasure.
"Mirrors"
emipoemi,
Face to face with our own humanity. Days pass and our countanence shows the marching moments in each changing texture of our skin. The outward is also inward with the changing of who we are and we become different in our lives as well. On the surface of our faces and in the changes in who we are with time a mirror is a place where we must face our selves individually and some times painfully. Mortality is inescapable for sure. Our place will eventually be gone here. I hope that I can leave something good behind and be pleasing to my Lord until that final day.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

Your comments are often thought-provoking to say the least, thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed this
Kathy Van Kurin

5 Years Ago

I did enjoy the challenge of thinking within my own honest self. This is what is good for us. Honest.. read more
Such wonderful imagery! The concept was amazing in itself, save the butter-like fluency and great rhymes. Your take on mirrors is very different, and that is what I liked the most. Loved it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

Glad you did! Thanks for reading.
Zoya

6 Years Ago

No problem
I absolutely love how vivid this poem is!

Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

So glad you do! Thanks for reading!
I think this is my favorite of yours. I’m not sure why exactly.

I like the paralleled statements in the beginning, and I like the way the fourth line of the first stanza flows.

I like the idea of “[venturing] deeper” which you mentioned in the second stanza. It definitely gets the wheels in my mind turning with different metaphors about venturing into our mirrors.

I like your mentioning of “time [going] by” in the third stanza. I feel like it gives the poem life by spanning it over just one moment of looking in the mirror. It evokes the imagine the figure in the mirror changing over time.

Stanza four intrigues me and makes me think. It flows into the image I like in the fifth stanza.

The image of a soul departing into a mirror is beautiful. The fifth stanza is full of imagery from a mirror extending it hand to laying blissfully beneath the stars. I also can’t help but love the use of the word “wonderland” in terms of going through a mirror.

Ending on the concept of being “within the mirror” in the last stanza, and what it entails, brings it to a good conclusion.

I think I just really like the overall concept and imagery brought to mind.

I’ve really enjoyed reading this!


Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

One of the things I like about analytical reviews is that it amplifies the overall viewpoint, and I .. read more
H L Rose

6 Years Ago

I’ll be going to read those for sure!
our perceptions can be as deep or as wide as we allow them to be. they can lie or they can be brutally honest. just because the reflection is there, doesn't mean we actually see it. nice rhythm to this piece.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this a lot. i really do, its beautiful

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

emipoemi

6 Years Ago

I'm glad you do! Thank you!
Great theme! The specter of mortality does indeed dwell within each and every mirror. Is it weird I find that comforting? ☺ The first two stanzas are especially strong in their imagery and structure. This is very well done; you should be proud!

Posted 6 Years Ago


WOW. The first stanza is such a great hook. It was written in a very thought-out way. So intricate, so... I don't even know where I was going anymore. But it was an amazing hook and the rest did not disappoint. I'm excited to go through the rest of your work. I want to find other diamonds awaiting to be discovered. Added it to my favorites. This made me... FEEL.

Posted 6 Years Ago


emipoemi

6 Years Ago

This made my day!! Thank you! Know these poems that I have posted so far are from my first phase of .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

496 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 14, 2017
Last Updated on June 14, 2017
Tags: poetry, poem, mirrors, life and death

Author

emipoemi
emipoemi

Canada



About
A shadow striving for a name in the backlots. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sirius Sirius

A Poem by Giulia King