The Big News

The Big News

A Chapter by Emmi
"

Eva and Genevieve from Westminster, England receive some news from their parents that are going to flip their lives upside down, for either the best or for the worst.

"
The sun was high in the sky and the color was as pure as the ocean, a very unusual day in one of the rainiest countries in the world. I waited at the platform for the train back to Westminster from London, it arrive approximately at 17.00, its usual time, which is good because I always hate when the trains run late. I got aboard and stood next to the many other people while keeping my school bag close. Can never be too careful in the big city, can you?
I watched people as they got on and off the train, not meaning to be creepy, but almost everyone people watches on these things, just something to pass the time. That, listening to one's iPod, reading or even rolling a cigarette or two to smoke later. Honestly I prefer to stick in my ear buds and observe the world around me.
I saw my stop read across the ticker in the train and got off, pushing my way through the others scrambling to leave and enter the train. Sometimes I'm lucky to "make it with my life", considering the crowds, but I'm glad there hasn't been any actual casualties, yet. 
My last five minute walk home was going to be a real annoyance as my mum says there's big news that will affect us all. It's probably not a huge deal as the last "big news" was that my grandparents were visiting from America for two weeks and we had to alter what we cooked during that time to fit their palates better. Nevertheless, I still want to know what the "big deal" is this time.
"Eva!" called a voice from behind. I turned to see my sister.
"Oh hey there Genevieve" I replied as I stopped and took out an ear bud, "Where were you earlier? I missed you at the platform".
"Sorry, I got held up school with Dan and Soule. I meant to text you," Gen answered as she caught up to me.
"It's ok, I figured it was something silly. So any guess what this "big news" is mum and dad have for us?" I asked as we resumed walking.
"Eh, who knows. Could be a new hair cut for all I know"
We turned on to our street, walked down and to the gate of our little house. So far everything appeared normal. I took out my keys and opened the door then entered the house with Gen, to much of my surprise there were boxes, some packed, some yet to be unfolded. 
"MUM!" we both yelled worried as to what horrible thing was happening, but no one answered.
"What?? What's going on? Are we moving?!? I don't understand!" Gen said frantically, "I love my life here! We've always been here. I don't want to leave!"
"Hold on I'm calling mum, there has to be something else going on," I answered trying to calm her down.
The phone rang and my mum answered. I asked her what all the boxes were for, but she only said to wait and that her and dad would tell us over dinner, I hung up and told Gen. This wasn't what I wanted to hear, I wanted to know right then and was beginning to become more worrisome myself. 
Two hours past, it was 20.30 and I finally heard someone walk in the door. I ran frantically as I had been letting some odd scenarios run through my head as to what the boxes were for. Such as, moving to America to be closer to my grandparents, dad lost his job and we had to leave to the country side, an old friend of my parent's was moving in, I was being kicked out the house to make way for an exotic pet, etc. I probably should stop watching so many movies and TV shows.
"Oh hello sweetie, how was your day?" questioned my mother putting her keys back into her purse and re-positioning the take out in her arms.
"Swell thanks, until I came home. Please what's going on?" I asked.
"I'm sorry darling, I promised your father I wouldn't say anything without him, he'll be here soon."
I sighed in disappointment, my patience was wearing thin and it's already not one of my virtues. Gen walked down the stairs as the smell of food attracted her attention, Indian curry.
"Oh yum!" Gen said with excitement as the door opened behind my mother, "Dad!"
"Yes, hello, I know go sit down and we'll talk" smiled my father. My mother continued to the kitchen to re-warm the food as I set the table anxiously. About ten minutes past and we all sat down to the warm smells of oriental spices, meat and naan, Indian flat bread.
"Well I hope everyone had a good day," my father began, "So your mother and I have been talking for a while and we've come to a decision on something. I've been offered an amazing opportunity at work that we simply can't pass on..."
"What kind of opportunity?" Interrupted Gen with wide eyes.
"An opportunity to work with the real deals of engineering, the Germans"
"So you're going to Germany for a few days or so?" I asked trying to get to the point.
"Not exactly, I'm being transferred actually, to work at the BMW location in Berlin"
"You're moving away??" asked Gen frantically.
"Girls please let him finish," asked my mother.
"No, we're all moving to Germany, in two days" my father finished. The room was silent for about 5 seconds before anyone was able to think clearly.
"WHAT?? Why? What made you think you could just move us to another country? I was born here! I love Westminster and London, I have friends, I go to school, I don't even know German!" I squeezed out in a single breath, frantic and upset.
"Eva I understand this is not what you expected to hear.."
"Well I thought the prime minister moving in was more likely then something like this!"
"Or grandma and grandpa" added Gen.
"Girls, I know this is a shock and I'm sorry we didn't speak to you about it, but this is something that we can't pass up. Your father is getting a raise and you'll love Berlin, it's a also a large city. You'll go to school and you'll learn German, I can help you."
"Mum, Berlin is tiny compared to here and you're well aware of that. Plus I have a school and I can already talk to people, I don't want to learn another language" said Gen.
"Exactly and we don't want to go" I snapped. My parents glared at each other as if they were communicating with mental telepathy or something.
"Finish your food and we'll talk about this more tomorrow when everyone has had time to think about it. You many also want to start packing as we leave at 5.00 on Saturday."
I just sighed in anger and disbelief. Continuing to eat was nearly impossible and we sat in silence for the next 15 mins then cleaned the table. Gen and I went upstairs to our room to calm down more, but the thoughts of what had happened and what was going to happen was simply too much for me all at once. I simply wanted to fall asleep crying and forget everything that had just happened. I lied down on my bed, closed my eyes and did such that.
I woke up the next morning, it was Wednesday and 6.15. I stood up and went to the washroom to brush my teeth. I noticed my swollen eyelids with dark circles, guess I cried more then I thought. Finished, I walked back to my room and noticed my parents had placed multiple boxes propped up against the doorway, that really put into perspective that they weren't joking, not the best thing to wake up to. I got dressed, it was now 6.30, I attempted to wake Gen, she always gets up late and then scrambles to get to school on time. After she was moving, I headed downstairs, my mother greeted me with the smell of a hot breakfast, pancakes and eggs.
"Good morning Eva. How are you this morning?" she inquired.
  "Better than last night but still not superb" I replied trying to smile.
"Well glad to hear you're better. We already spoke with your school about the situation so make sure you bring home all your personals today, since it's your last day. Your father didn't want you going at all today but I figured how upset you would be if you had no chance to even say goodbye to everyone."
"Okay." I kept it short, realizing that it was my actual last day. I hadn't pondered that last night when my father said we were leaving Thursday. I sat at the table while my mother brought me a plate of food, while picking at it Gen came down the stairs and also sat at the table then sighed.
"Morning to all." Gen said.
"Hello" I replied still picking my breakfast.
"Eva, I know you're upset, so am I, but let's enjoy today. It's not like we were going to live in this little house forever"
"Yes, I know you're right, but I just didn't think it would ever happen this way I guess. I thought I'd move out on my own to go to university or after and I go directly into London. I never considered leaving England." I looked up at Gen as I spoke and tried to smile. She smiled back and held her hand out across the table.
"Come on, we'll be okay. It's going to be a new adventure, plus there's always Skype, Facebook and plane tickets really aren't that expensive between European countries. We can always visit over a break."
"Yes, I sure hope so. Otherwise, this will be terrible" I laughed as I grabbed her hand.
"Good" Gen smiled, squeezed my hand then pulled hers back, I did the same, "Mum breakfast please!" She really was correct, it's quite difficult to look on the bright side of something though so drastic and being sprung onto you so quickly, but as Eric Idle once sung, "Always look on the bright side of life". Monty python truly can be more beneficial then just a good laugh sometimes.
Finishing my breakfast I washed my plate quickly, grab my bag and headed out the door, "Gen! Hurry I'm leaving with out you!"
"Sheesh hold on bro!" she yelled scrambling, I shut the door behind me and walked up the street to the train station. Gen came running after me, as usual. The five minute walk was pretty quiet as most are in the morning. My nerves had calmed down, but a new set of nervousness was going to arise as I needed to figure out how to tell everyone the news. I mean, how do you announce this? "Oh yeah hey guys I'm moving to Germany tomorrow, see you later!" That won't go over well. In fact I'm more worried about people's reactions right now more than anything and I also can only answer their questions in such detail since my parents only told me of so much.
We arrived at the platform and waited for the train, it was arriving in just two minutes.
"So what's your plan to break the news to everyone?" I asked Gen.
"I was hoping to do it as casually as possible and avoid any massive discussion, but I know that's not going to be possible. I'm also worried people will think I'm kidding." She answered.
"Wow, I never thought about that. I guess it will sound like a joke at first." I replied as the train rolled into the station. The doors opened and we sat on the benches. The train rolled out of the station and on its way to London. I stuck in my earphones to listen to my iPod for the ride, it was about 15 minutes and luckily we didn't have to change trains. The ticker flashed our stop and we exited the train into the giant crowds of pushing people. Up the stairs and onto the busy streets we walked another 5 mins to school, I walked a little slower than normal considering the circumstances. When we got to the front of the school I stared at the gate, taking in how much I will actually miss this place. Slowly I walked forward, through the court yard and into the building to face the millions of questions, confused faces and final walks through the hall ways.


© 2013 Emmi


Author's Note

Emmi
Please pardon any improper British wording, I'm not actually British.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm a fan of this story! Well done. You need to continue..

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emmi

11 Years Ago

Chapter 2 is currently in the works.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 28, 2013
Last Updated on March 24, 2013
Tags: westminster, london, england, berlin, germany, bmw, moving


Author

Emmi
Emmi

About
Greetings, my name is Emma. My whole life I've been on and off about writing but sometimes I just get that "spark" so I thought I'd share what my mind creates. My life experiences, dreams and favorite.. more..

Writing
Dropping the Bomb Dropping the Bomb

A Chapter by Emmi


Eva Eva

A Book by Emmi