Being Stupid. Chapter Three

Being Stupid. Chapter Three

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

It turned out they were right.

Henry did become my best friend.

I guess being socially outcasted together can do that to people. Henry was the only one there for me when I felt so alone.

"Do...do you....need....a...f-friend?" He had asked my first day, after I had tucked myself in the corner of the classroom, my head deep in a book. His head was cocked to the side, and he smiled at me compassionatly. The truth is, Henry is a sweetheart. By the end of the second grade, he was the one and only person I talked to at Acre Valley Elementary, and my favorite at best.

I had wondered what was wrong with him. Why he was so....strange.

I later found out he had a severe case of cerebral palsy.

               *                              *   *

It happened in the fourth grade.

We were sitting at lunch together, and Henry was picking at the peas on his plate, one eye extremely concentrated on it, another seeming lost and confused. "Henry?" I had asked, my voice sheepish.
"Ye..yeah, S-sage?" He shakily looked up at me and smiled.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked in as sweetly as I can. Henry may have seemed stupid, but he was a smart kid. We both had an understanding with each other. When we asked each other something like that, it wasn't an insult. it was merely a question.

"I....have...cere....cerebr-" He struggled, his brow furrowing in concentration.

"Cerebral palsy?" I asked, nodding my head. He nodded, and looked down. "I...k-know...I...am...diff-different."

"But that's not a bad thing, Henry. You are a smart, sweet kid." I told him, patting his hand. Suddenly, he had shakily brought his hand on top of mine and squeezed it, "And...so...are....you, Sage."

           *                          *                            *

"Did you study for the English final today, Henry?" I ask, flipping through our French textbook in resource room. He looked over at me and nodded.

Over the years, Henry had transformed into quite the attractive boy. His eyes were more focused, and his speech was slightly better, his blond curls had grown from scraggly and uncombed to shiny and gold. His blue eyes sparked brighter in his teens. If it weren't for his severe disorder and lack of communication skills, girls would be all over him.

"Wanna help me?" I ask, scooting closer to his chair. "Okay," he said, and slowly pulled the textbook to him.  "School....is...to...people....as....traffic is to..." The bell rings, and we both jump up from our seats.

I help Henry load his books into his backpack, so we can move faster, and walk out with him to the door.

"What...class....are you-" "History," i answer, and grab his hand, steering him in the halls.

"Aww! Look, the lovebirds are holding hands!" someone snickers as we walk past, and I turn my head to see Missy Banks cackling behind, tossing a glossy black curl behind her shoulder. "Shut up, Missy." i say, and walk faster.

"Excuse me?" She shouts, and stomps up to me. I turn around and take a deep breath.

"S-Sage-" Henry starts. "Oh shut up, knobhead," Missy snapped, throwing his bookbag out of his hands. Henry stared blankly at it and looked up at my steaming angry face, shaking his head. "S-Sage...n-no-"

I shoved Missy against the wall and grabbed her by her expensive white blouse, "You leave him alone. Leave us alone." I shout, and pull her towards me, then push her against the wall again, I scoop up Henry's bookbag, and grab his hand.

"Come on, Henry," I say.




© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


Author's Note

Emma Marie Taylor
Sorry this chapter was so short! I was in a hurry and was so excited to post it! let me know what you think so far. Please review! Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So far, I've read all three of these chapters, and honestly, I am very much into the story line and excited to see how it further develops. Henry seems like a cutie despite his disability, and Sage seems confident.
This type of story isn't usually written about. I love it!
Keep it coming! I don't wanna wait to long for the next chapter. :3

Posted 11 Years Ago


She seems like such a nice girl. Sticking up for him, that was so sweet. And omg Henry is so sweet I love him. I feel sorry for him but atleast he has a good frind like Sage to keep him company throughout the years. Very nice chapter I loved it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow that was really defensive of her... I like it...
I kinda feel sorry for Henry :(
Cant wait to find out what happens next!! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ha! Stupid Missy. She had that comin' ^^

I like Henry. He really is a sweetheart.

Aewsome chapter! :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


Felicity's Eve

11 Years Ago

*Awesome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on December 24, 2012
Tags: book, stupid, being, girl, mental, disorders, learning, disability, chapter, teen


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing