Chapter One - Masquerade

Chapter One - Masquerade

A Chapter by Epiphany P. Nickel

        They were all in formal attire; silky, slinky gowns and crisp black tails.  If it weren't for the twinkle lights and DJ station rather than candles and a live string quartet, it could have very well passed for a turn of the century masquerade ball.  The host, Parker, had truly outdone himself.

 

        Celeste stood next to the French doors to the overly cliché balcony, staring out at the stars and paying no attention at all to the teenagers dancing to the music that didn't quite fit the theme of the party.  Her dark brown hair curled to the middle of her back, perfect except for the dent the elastic that held her mask on was making. 

 

        Unlike most of the other girls' gowns, Celeste's dress flowed her body like water rather than engulfed it. The length of the dress was such that she looked like she was floating, not dragging a piece of material around. The midnight blue silk that already shone in the soft light absolutely shimmered because of the subtle swirls that ran throughout its length. The silver mask she wore to match her dress was adorned with faux-saphire gems and deep blue and bright white feathers.  It covered the tops of her rosy cheeks, and hid her pale blue eyes in its shadow. 

 

        Celeste jumped in surprise when she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder; she hadn't expected anyone to interrupt her wandering thoughts.  Celeste had to stifle a second gasp when she actually saw him.  Tall, lean, and muscular, russet-skinned.  A silver mask in the shape of a quarter moon covered the right side of his face, the other side showing full lips pulled into a sweet smile, and a forest green eye staring down at her.  Soft ebony waves covered the top of his head. 

 

        "May I have this dance?"  He asked, politely holding his hand out to Celeste. 

 

        She felt her heart skip a beat. She didn't know him, though he seemed vaguely familiar. She fought to instill some confidence in herself, and choked out a quiet "You may."

 

        The first song of the entire night closest to being appropriate for the masquerade theme began to play over the large speakers.  Acoustic guitar, flowing piano, and a soft female voice melded together and poured out into the room, as the mysterious boy led Celeste to the center of the floor.  She hesitantly wrapped her arms around his neck when he wrapped his around her waist. 

 

        "Who are you?"  She asked after a moment, the curiosity finally getting to her. 

 

        "This is a masquerade ball, ravissant.  You aren't supposed to know who anyone is."  He replied smoothly, smiling even wider.

 

        Celeste glared at him.  "At the very least, may I please have a few clues?"

 

        He deliberated for a short moment.  "I suppose."

 

        "Good."

 

        "You get three.  First, I'm a friend of Parker's."

 

        "Not fair! No vague clues!" Celeste barked in dismay.

 

        "I live on the same street as you..."  He continued as if she hadn't interrupted. 

 

        "Come on, Romeo." She said scathingly. "Give me something I can actually work with!"

 

        They danced in silence until the song ended -- hers fuming, his accomplished. The second the last note was played, Celeste stepped away from him.

   

        "My third clue?" She asked, crossing her arms.

 

        "Third is my number.  You'll have to call it to find out." He reached for her hand and placed a small scrap of paper into her palm, then gently curling her fingers over it. He smirked slightly, glad he had finally talked to her.

 

        "That's real smooth!"  Celeste said, pulling her arm back and recrossing it with the other. She was flattered that this extremely handsome boy was hitting on her, but she just wanted to know who the hell he was!

 

        "Thanks.  I hope you'll still like me when you figure it out." A hint of insecurity made his voice falter slightly, but he smiled confidently. 

 

        Before she could say another word, "Romeo" disappeared into the crowd of bopping and twirling teenagers.

 

        "What the hell?" Celeste whispered to herself.



© 2010 Epiphany P. Nickel


Author's Note

Epiphany P. Nickel
Sorry if it's a little short!
Plus, I'm not used to writing in third person, so let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this a surely caint wait for more. Hurry!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I enjoyed it! Ive always loved the whole masquerade thing, good choice.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 11, 2010
Last Updated on May 11, 2010


Author

Epiphany P. Nickel
Epiphany P. Nickel

OH



About
I am a teenage girl, one with words and music in her blood. I dance to my own beat, and I'm not afraid to be different. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* I'm .. more..

Writing