Chapter 3: Follow or Die

Chapter 3: Follow or Die

A Chapter by ericdeben
"

Previously in "Anonymous": The man dreamed up a plan for his speech at the Circle..

"

I didn’t get much sleep last night; two hours at most. I kept myself up, anxiously waiting for my speech at the Circle. This day could change everything. I would hate to mess it up.

I crawl out of my lop-sided tent. I spent about two hours repairing it last night from that man’s collapse.

I check the sundial " it’s noon and it appears to be minutes past that. “S**t,” I say, under my breath and I run down to the Circle as fast as I can; cutting through the woods, jumping over mud puddles, and pushing people out of my way. As I get closer and closer I start to hear a hum - not quite a hum, but a blow - not quite a blow, but a note; a music note.

I arrive at the Circle. Musicians had already claimed the center stone. They’re the same musicians who bailed the day before.  It’s too late, I think, hanging my head in disappointment.

But I promised myself I’d make my speech today, and I’m sticking to my plan. I trudge through the crowd of people and make my way to the center stone. One of the three musicians gazes at me and stops playing.

Nervously, I enter a trance. Everything seems to go in slow motion and the music sounds as though I’m under water; quiet and muffled.

My head comes up, out of trance, and I climb on the top, pushing the musicians off the stone. People are angry. Anger equals murder. But I remember rule number two, “No threatening,” I say and I slash everyone that comes near me with an angry eye until the threats stop.

People look at me in fear; some inching away, some inching closer as they plan their next move.

Fear, I think, it gives me confidence. It gives me hope. I feed off it. I hunger for it. The crowd’s worried faces give me a sense of power, confidence - arrogance even.

With that, I begin my speech; “People of this nameless planet. We are in need of a leader. We are in need of change,” before the audience can ‘boo’ raise my knife, “Don’t decline my proposal just yet, my citizens. If you decline my proposal, you are declining peace. You are accepting fear.” The worried faces of the crowd change with confusion. “We need rules.  We need order,” I pause for dramatic effect, “Rule number one: no killing. Rule number two: no threatening. Rule number three: no raping. Rule number four: no trolling. The punishment for breaking them: dying… With rules, you accept the fear of breaking them. But the fear is only there to adjust the behavior " the morals of the people around you; to put an end to their uncivil actions.” With nothing left to say, I look at the audience for approval, even though I expect denial.

After an awkward silence of what seems like an eternity, the crowd roars with approval.

With only a grin that’d be impossible to wipe off my face, I exit the Circle with swagger. I’m popular, I think.



© 2011 ericdeben


Author's Note

ericdeben
First draft of chapter 3. I have 2 more chapters planned and I'll edit the existing chapters later.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The idea is gaining complexity. It's changing, as the narrator is changing. He's changing to be able to lead these people. He's nameless as them, but he's becoming almost his own person. Like, he's gaining recognition. I'm kind of scared of him. Just a little. He believes in provoking fear to gain momentum. BYTHEWAY. What is trolling? I know what internet trolling is, like being a total bum...

I find our two societies similar at times, but different. Is that strange? Because our society and their society have their savagery, their opinions, and at times, their peace. I find it eerie. Am I looking into this too much?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Your story is swiftly becoming a favorite of mine. I am fascinated by your ability to tell a tale.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The idea is gaining complexity. It's changing, as the narrator is changing. He's changing to be able to lead these people. He's nameless as them, but he's becoming almost his own person. Like, he's gaining recognition. I'm kind of scared of him. Just a little. He believes in provoking fear to gain momentum. BYTHEWAY. What is trolling? I know what internet trolling is, like being a total bum...

I find our two societies similar at times, but different. Is that strange? Because our society and their society have their savagery, their opinions, and at times, their peace. I find it eerie. Am I looking into this too much?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Somehow more complex than I would have thought. The protagonist is well-rounded, and very human.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amazing! One man, nameless as the others, changes the world with one speach that he thought would kill him. Brilliant, brilliant. I have come to love our main character, where he's not too full of himself, but he's most certainly not perfect either. And he doesn't ASSUME that he's going to be cheered on, but expects denial from the audience in which he's trying to help. Quite far from a mary-sue, I think so.

I love the society as well. How different it is from ours. "The Circle", a unique idea, in a land without a strong central government. This planet is in need of help, and I think our main character is just what the doctor ordered! Please let me know when you have more out of this, I'd be delighted to see where this is going!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

398 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on November 25, 2011
Tags: anonymous, story, dystopian society, earth, trolling, climax, killing, murder, sameness, the giver, politics, government, anarchy, rape, threatening, laws, rules, morals, ethics, death, speech


Author

ericdeben
ericdeben

Some town, MA



About
I'm 15 years old and I'm an aspiring filmmaker. When you review my writing, don't just shower me with praise; I can use all the constructive criticism I can get. I'll be taking creative writing class.. more..

Writing
Changes Changes

A Poem by ericdeben