on being elderly

on being elderly

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


on being elderly

 

 

 

arrogant physicians

with clumsy manner

and sometimes equally inept hands

 

diagnoses all over the charts

like roughly sketched treasure maps

feeling the incisions

of errant decisions,

 

we escape into anesthesia's woods

hoping to come out the other side

with elegant scars

and no poison ivy contrition 

 

lamenting our faith

in the Hippocratic oath

which often seems like

swearing on a seldom opened

Bible,

 

we are reeling from the feeling

that we are not really healing

 

just mis-believing     

in not-so miracle cures

and poor etiquette added in

for good measure.

 

 

erin-cilberto

4/23/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You have poetically analysed a common situation in your usual elegant use of language and insight, Jacob.
Your condemnation of arrogant doctors is probably a reflection of their lack of understanding. They will become old eventually. I have often found, however, that making a jovial remark can "brighten their day" and their attitude can change in an instant.
Don't read them your poem, though.:-)))

N.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

okay, i will not read them my poem...good advice, Norman...
thank you for your words...
.. read more
I don't think you have to be elderly to experience this. Just spend a little time in a hospital or in specialist office, where I swear you're just patient 6 of 30 for the day. I really think they've almost given up on talking options through, or explaining anything about your health. it really does leave little faith in the profession, when a few extra minutes and some kind words would go a long way to de-stress the patient and his family.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

everything you said is so true, Jan....yes.

thank you for your insights...as always, .. read more
Hello j,

Thanks for this insightful and well written write.

I have heard horror stories of certain elders who, for obvious reasons which are reprehensible...fail to get the proper and timely care they so desperately need, sometimes with tragic results...😰

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for sharing your thoughts, Alisa...

j.
And then robbed for all we're worth. Beautiful metaphors here, love the woods of anesthesia, dark and forbidding. A seldom opened bible.
We are reeling from the feeling
That we are not really healing

Almost feels like a satirical commercial jingle for a sugary cereal, eerie in content.

My mum hates her doctor because she is impassive and abrupt, says her nurse is much more of a friend and caregiver..
why has Healthcare gone so wrong for so many different reasons when it's something we all need? I don't understand it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


M. Shepherd

7 Years Ago

Those two lines* feel like a jingle. Not the entirety.
jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful reply and sharing your mom's experience....sounds like mine.
read more
Last year I got my first "big boy" physical, you know that after 40 one. I think I would have been better off staying at home.
This was great Jacob, a little different. It was fun, telling and so true.
My annual physical is next month....

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

good luck next month, and thanks for your words, James.

j.
Being elderly in itself is a tremendous challenge for far too many. When one is sick in addition to not having the proper resources to find adequate help it is indeed frustrating for the patient and those who are part of their support group. Our medical staff seems to be overworked in the area where I live and it is difficult to find specialists that are needed to treat those who are historically not in the best of health-WV ranks very high in the cases of ill health. I am sure there are doctors who are insensitive yet I have found those where I am to be compassionate; maybe they are just good country doctors. My primary doctor is one of the kindest men I have had the pleasure to know, and his wife is equally as kind to her patients. I know I am blessed, as are his other patients.
So sorry for the troubles you, or someone you love has had Jacob! It is good for us to express how we feel, and hope for change!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i am so glad you have found compassionate doctors Sheila...there are many out there who are not...read more
As time has progressed further and as mankind has progressed further, things have changed. Doctors are no longer those people who save the lives of people, rather they have become businessmen who refuse to even have a glance at the patient if he does not receive money before-hand. Nicely written there, sir. Good use of similes and metaphors and pretty good rhyming too at places. Keep writing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

ah yes, businessmen ....many have...thank you for your insights, Vatsal.
j.
A bad experience at the doctors. Hoping for a miracle but realizing that doctors are more human than others. Being a doctor I can comment from the "other" side.
I have witnessed this changing face of medical practice. In the early days of my practice, we were more of a family member to the patient and his family. We shared all their intimate fears and "reassurance" and "caring words" played a huge part in curing the patient.
Medicine has now become a business and the doctor patient relation has become very formal.
Medical investigation has superseded "history taking" and "experience" in the field.
A fine write and I hope you have a better experience with doctors if heaven forbid, the need ever arises.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your view from the other side...and the understanding you display of the situation...i.. read more
Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your very favourable response to me and my poetry. I am honoured and humbled.
.. read more
Hmmm---thought provoking in the sense that the docs have really messed with the narrator'a mojo! Sounds like he is vulnerable, weary and frustrated. Being physically down can really make one feel emotionally out of sorts. Then throw an inept physician in the mix...It's like adding insult to injury for sure! I pray that those with this experience will find a good doc, find some answers, and once again find their passion for living.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i really appreciate your insightful words, Larq...
thank you, i hope so too.
j.
I may say age is a mere number and strongly believe that. I have so many friends ten or twenty years older than me and do way better than me in health and perceptions. There is lots of truth in this poem. There is real lack of human component in medical care especially to think the way the customer thinks. Most often everything is generalized which is not the best each one is precious at age of day old or one hundred years. Medical science can heal the customer only if they see the true broad spectrum of life in it's various shades

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

yes, each one is precious...thank you for that sentiment, Linda....

appreciate your r.. read more
Linda alexander

7 Years Ago

Each one on earth is unique even if world see that way or not, take care, hope you are doing good

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2440 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 25, 2016
Last Updated on April 25, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..