the first is written in the trees

the first is written in the trees

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


the first is written in the trees

 

 

 

chapter draws closure

Eastern pines relegated---

characters of past

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

3/21/17

© 2017 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this poem. Perfect logic and thoughts shared. Thank you Jacob for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Coyote....for your kind words.

j.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are welcome Jacob.
clever ... its about nature but also "characters" (human) .. so do you call it a senku? :)))) i had to search a little about the Eastern Pine to satisfy my intrigue of it being relegated ..a pre-Colonial tree of the North East ..also called the "Tree of Peace" .. so your poem is deeper than i would have thought ..as certainly we are witness to the slipping away of our Colonial and especially post-Colonial ways ...and the peace ...in all our turmoil how thirsty this old tree is for peace ..really enjoyed your "senku" ...we mostly have Short Leaf Pines in Arkansas .. they grow very straight and tall with foliage only at the tops of them .. your title is a little foreboding ... i live next to a large National forest so it is well "managed to keep it healthy and growing ...but lots have been lost over our short 300 years eh!?
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

yes, it is kind of a mix of both haiku and senryu...i like that "senku"---
i love what i lear.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

;)...................
Very true, Sir. This one is universally applicable. Thank you for sharing this haiku.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Bala...

j.
A senryu capturing times relentless passage. One to stimulate thought Jacob.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, John...
j.
Times of old are those that were once a beginning, and as life continues and events unfold, the first chapter becomes another and another as life continues.
Those things of the beginning are no longer as important as they once were, and new events become those that "rule" so to say. The infant becomes a child, the child an adult, the adult an aged soul until death claims that which was once the beginning. So, as the eastern pine is no longer as important in our culture, another tired, weary, aged soul finds rest, now but a character of the past.
Interesting; many ways to interpret your words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

your response is great, Sheila...such insight ....i learn more about my own words and meanings with .. read more
to walk beneath the whispering trees as it reveals secrets of the past ... Enjoyed immensely, J.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Tiana..
j.
Masterful brevity Jacob.
This is how the circle goes in life, old pines are cleared to make room for young saplings. I could read so much into this and relate it to so many things. That's the beauty of brevity. It plants the seed to let one's thoughts grow. Good work.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review, Ana.
j.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

My pleasure Jacob, deserved...
past or future? Good to hear from you!

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, William...

j.
Your beautiful and highly evocative haiku style write, could quite easily be a subtitle for the ‘Eastern Pines Convalescent Centre’ Near Atlantic City, NJ. Love this kind of composition be it Haiku, Senryu or Tanka!

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Phill..
j.
Powerfully emotional. The trees last through the years. They have seen those who are now gone...those who live on in memories. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Lydi..

j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

436 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2017
Last Updated on March 24, 2017

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..