the Big Show

the Big Show

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

the Big Show

 

 

semi-conscious drooling

words spit into circus emphasis

the lion tamer writes into the teeth of an agape mind

 

the crowd oohs and aahs 

and eats popcorn,

litters the tent with blank gazes

 

trying at once to understand his act

and not lose their heads

in the chaos

he spews,

 

just for the price of admission

to enter his Big Top thoughts

the ones he whips into lines

 

of growling poetry

as he paws his keyboard

snarling syllables 

of retrospect entertainment

 

night in and night out

the same damn show

 

over and over

with eternity's breath

a moment's roar 

away.

 

 

erin-cilberto

8/5/17

© 2017 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

yet another enjoyable read, jacob. life is the great tale written by action and experience, smiles and tears. Well done sir.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Petar.
j.
Does his end like Siegfried and Roy or does it end like the kingdom of heaven... Where the lion has lost its appetite for blood?

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

good questions Bacchus...thank you for your visit and words,
j.
"Originally from the Bronx"/ not far from where the world trade centers were leveled in what some believed was the apocalypse. It wasn't..No such human luck exists..So poetry is not ever the show under the big top....The urgency to do it is.

Plath said in one of her later poems that she "meant it to last"..she meant her life after suicide, not her misery before it.. You're the king here sir.....the poet king.....great inner message in this one my friend.....dana

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

love that poem...Lady Lazarus .....that line actually referred to her attempt when she took all the .. read more
Your message appears to be dripping with the slobber of a ferocious & toothsome disgust or disappointment. Your originality is startling in many spots. This can be read a number of ways & I wish I didn't see the political taint in such statements as often as I do. I guess I'm sick of the same old show . . . *sigh!* (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i hear ya on the same old show...politically...such crap...
i appreciate you, barleygirl.
read more
Is the poet himself the lion-tamer and the lion, taming "snarling syllables" for the unappreciative masses? In the face of death he "whips into lines of growling poetry" as he "paws his keyboard"...amazing metaphor and imagery. Speaks of relentless frustration, anger, and desperation. Brilliant.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Annette...
j.
The opening stanzas took me back to my days on psychogeriatric wards. So descriptive of the dementia sufferer. I really relate to this for having been a 'participant in our NHS circus I find myself still sharp and hungry but at home twiddling my thumbs and cleaning and writing, cleaning and writing. There is s a starkness to this one, a sadness and an emptiness Jacob.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for sharing how you relate to this one, John...

appreciate your words,
read more
His intensity, his chaos may not be fully understood by the masses at all times yet his brilliance and skill captivate one and all...Appreciated so much Mr. Jacob.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, DIVYA.
j.
DIVYA

6 Years Ago

You are welcome and its a pleasure!
Jacob, I relate to this,, Ahhh. "The agape mind" The Bliss of Love for dear Brother and Sister in Christ mesmerized and enchanted by the lion Tamer in the Den of the Pulpit, Though semi- conscious with no self thoughts or questions, Entertainment for sure and paying the admission through the Tithe's. And Yes! All through the ages. The show/ Circus goes on and on with eternal perpetuation.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your insightful review of this piece,Connie...
j.
Please, you love it. You have more audience than most. Ask yourself, does the lion enjoy roaring in the savannah? Or is it especially satisfying amongst the iron bars and prepared habitats?

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i feel lucky to be read, William...and thank you for your words,
j.
Sounds like the lion is little upset...frustrated even...how we all feel caged at times.. communication at its best is still complicated, for those of us who enjoy its various forms and can't seem to express what's there- is torture. To connect with others, but still feel as the joke, the "main attraction" the black sheep, the outsider...I often wonder how many at any given time are actually "present" when interacting, or even doing every day tasks. How many are on autopilot, are already into next week in their mind, or two weeks ago...would playing each part give us some insight or would we still stare blankly gorging on popcorn, still feel the thrill, the excitement the slight unease handling the lion, or clumsy, misunderstood, and growling with angry vulnerability? It's quite a show alright, entertaining and stressful from any of the perspectives. lines are understood, no need to snarl syllables :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

love the way you see things...yes, that vulnerability...
we growl when we have to admit to fe.. read more
AprilRN1210

6 Years Ago

Lol yes, but funny thing is... we know the growl is just for show... only one fooling is self..vulne.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 7, 2017
Last Updated on August 7, 2017

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..