the melting pot boils over in arrogant rush

the melting pot boils over in arrogant rush

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

the melting pot boils over in arrogant rush


skinheads,
bone heads with smooth flesh
but jagged ideals

tattoos and pierced logic
hateful flags blowing in the wind of change
yet theirs don't flutter
with butterfly wings

they are ugly moths
eating through the fabric
of America.


erin-cilberto
8/12/17

© 2017 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes- so on-point my friend! What happened in Charlottesville is tragic. Your poem highlights the dysfunction and polarization in today's world that are symptoms of a pervasive disease. Great contrasts and oppositional images-"smooth flesh but jagged ideals"..Always amazing metaphors-the last verse is a true summation and a sad one.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i know this may be a controversial piece, but i surely appreciate your kind review, Annette.
.. read more
I live 45 minutes from Charlottesville. While I don't agree with nor condone what happened, we are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country. The purpose of the rally was to protest the removal of statues, and they had a permit to do so. The Black Lives Matter and anti-protest protesters did not have a permit and should not have been there. This is a beautiful, quiet area; and the fact that people from outside an area can come in and create this kind of havoc is unconscionable, disgusting, and shameful.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

true, we are supposed to...different behaviors and reactions can be just as bad as one another---So .. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i appreciate your words, Linda....you give a close and clear perspective of what is actually going o.. read more
Unfortunately, the instant media becomes an instant catalyst for this hatred, which leads to the uncontrollable violence on a large scale. Your definition of "skinhead" mentality has now permeated even our so called governments , where reason is subjugated and mediocrity becomes the new excellence.
N.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Norman...Reason definitely has been subjugated...and apathy is all around... read more
Good thought, j. There is no room for hatred, but there seems to be no room for love either. The world I expect has always been polarized. Not much is really new. Watts, Detroit, Kent State and other episodes from our youth have become Ferguson, Charlotte and now Charlottesville. All those who point the finger of blame should remember four fingers point back. Not sure what would change this mindset, maybe less vitriol being spewed 24/7 on media, social or otherwise.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

all of what you have said is so true...history repeats itself...again and again.
thank you, T.. read more
Hate, especially racial and ethnic eats through the fabric of all societies. The skin heads of America or the fanatics of the east, all serve the same master. A powerful comment, appreciated so much.


Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your words, DIVYA...
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 13, 2017
Last Updated on August 13, 2017

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..