1969---the War Within

1969---the War Within

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

1969---the War Within

 

 

how many cliffs did you almost master

but the earth slipped out from under your feet

and the fall almost killed you

before the drugs could

 

how many suns did you crash into

with scathing dreams of white powder

and waves of psychedelic splashes

making music against the shoreline

 

are you still away from yourself?

am i the finger on your trigger hand

will you hold the gun steady against my head?

should i write the note?

or is your cursive planning 

to outlive your heart

 

and leave us a screenplay 

of the life you almost survived.

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

10/1/17

© 2017 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The war within is fought on a daily basis and often through many years. There is no detente reached and no amount of diplomatic verbiage can stop the fighting. In 1969 there were wars that we THOUGHT were won, but they continue today...perpetuated through generations. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

yes, they do continue...thank you for your insights, Lydi...
j.
More often than not, the war within is a much more difficult adversary to conquer than any outdoor material foe?

Stark and thought provoking Jacob, and as always, masterful penmanship!

https://youtu.be/hRJFvtvTGEk

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you, Tom...

j.
Suicide attempt. Controversial and relevant. Your poem asks important questions in three brilliant verses and a wistful , contemplative denouement. Microcosm of the drugs and wars of the 60s & 70s, leading to the literal &/or figurative death of the protagonist. Master Class once again.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

not really intended suicide...but just a lifestyle that seems to scream it...i appreciate your insig.. read more
You have a collection of lines that are brilliant as the attempted suicide follows its line.

Regards,
Al

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Al.
j.
"how many suns did you crash into
with scathing dreams of white powder
and waves of psychedelic splashes
making music against the shoreline"

Awesome lines so apt for the time...

A couple of years before I was born but having read and heard so much about the flowery, hip sixties, it feels familiar. The hippy movement along with the Beatles had reached my shores too as had the drugs. It was indeed a reckless time, life lived a psychedelic day, at a time yet a time of great creativity and spirituality. A lot of our Ad World gurus, business magnates and movie stars bloomed in that era.

Yet a life almost survived for some who made it out of the haze, but barely so...

Thanks for such an interesting read sir.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review, DIVYA.
j.
Great imagery and a nice roving tale... almost epic in nature of a traveler's pitfalls along drugs nasty deforming journey. I'm very familiar with this realm and have reaped rewards an curses from it. Awsome!

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for sharing how you relate, Aaron.
appreciate your visit.
j.
Days past that shaped or perhaps, mis-shaped. a generation; or maybe, the other way around? Was this the aftermath of a historically questionable war or the need to escape from it? Have read your poem twice over.. Rarely do this but read a review.. Fabian's.. because seems he understands the emotion behind your words.

Reading for a third time, am wondering if you're thinking of that movie. Seems with yet more thinking on my part, your words stress a mind- debiliting procedure that could and maybe did end in tragedy... wipe.out.. Perhaps a need to destroy memories, because they can't be denied.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

actually i hadn't seen that movie...but i do like your interpretation very much...

th.. read more
And the ones who did survive
live inside a tangled mind..
reliving death
and not resting
in PEACE..

Good ONE !!

J.J.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Jazzy---

j.
J. J.  Nightingale

6 Years Ago

You are welcome jacob........................J.J.
I remember the "other" war. I was mailing autumn leaves to my brother in Vietnam. He complained about the lack of trees in Da Nang and I wanted him to have a piece of home. The other soldiers were envious. He was a medic; a sergeant in rank and there used to be a poster of him with two wounded Vietnamese children under his care. He came home to have people spit on him and call him "baby killer". It was a messed up world then in more ways than one and not much has changed since. I loved the movie 1969 with Kiefer Sutherland and Winona Ryder. It came out in 1988 and got lousy reviews from most critics but rang a bit truer to me than most I guess. I remember Woodstock too...crazy hippies my dad called them. But there were lots of internal wars going on in America some of culminating on May 4, 1970 at Kent State when the National Guard shot 13 people killing four...people have forgotten or have no idea how serious protesting can be or can become...I feel there may be a new rude awakening for some of them one day soon. Good read.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i remember Kent State...we had riots at SIU, and the school had to close early for the spring semest.. read more
This is beautifully written - one of my favorite pieces I have read so far

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you, S. Elizabeth, appreciate your kind words.
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

507 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 1, 2017
Last Updated on October 1, 2017

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..