an inkling

an inkling

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

an inkling

 

 

write me a perpetual letter

don't sign it,

 

ever

 

 

just keep the cursive lines straight,

no lies,

just the truth of love

 

let me catch the scent of you on the pages

i will fold them neatly

as i fold your feelings

within my heart

 

i will read you forever

if you write me a perpetual letter

don't sign it,

 

don't give me conclusion

 

ever.

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

2/24/18

© 2018 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

From those days when a piece of paper and a pen were 'de rigueur', before the world learned to communicate with its thumbs. Still nothing like opening an air mail letter with the flimsy paper smelling sweetly of a love's scent.

So much better...without conclusion.

Another good one j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Ted.
j.
ONE OF THE BEST! The phrase "perpetual letter" is the kind we other writers wish we'd come up with! I love all the ways you incite the various sensory ideas that a handwritten letter can bring, as obsolete as this practice has become. The last 3 lines really kick my butt with the way it comes across -- really brilliant & thought-provoking! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your very kind review, Margie.
j.
So very romantic. I remember writing perfume scented letters in cursive. When I got letters in return, I would tie them with a ribbon and keep them in a special place in my closet. Those were the days....but they did end. Does anyone still write love letters that are not on a computer? I hope so. Re-reading letters like that is always special. Lovely write. Lydi**

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i wish we still did that...now it is all emails...thank you, Lydi...appreciate your words.
j.
Ohh I just love this!! I too have a deep appreciation and longing for seeing another's handwriting. I also think that our tech age has killed interesting handwriting. I went to school when that kind of thing was still graded and I always had a love for language so I took great care in my being neat.. and then as I grew as a poet and writer, my style took on more flourish..

I love how within this desire for hand-written letters you also speak to the context of the relationship behind the letters.. that the love not be tangled (cursive) and just tell the truth of your love (straight)..

I loved the break between the rhyme of "letter" and "ever"

I used to spray my favorite perfume on my letters to those for which I had affection. Or rub my perfumed wrists onto the envelope after sealing. I like how you observed her scent within the folds and then you folding her within your heart.. so sweet!

I think as a tribute to this piece and the long lost art of letters, we should all write out a love letter penned in our own hand-writing and share photos of it all.. I, for one, would love to see the hand-writing of all my favorite writers here!! I'm a handwriting junkie I must admit.. and I haven't had a fix for yeeeeeears!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

i write so many comments on my students' papers, poor people; they can hardly read any of it...my ha.. read more
Sometimes our spirits occupy a wishful thinking of an invisible lover and we wished she/he would listen to our inner musings and make us whole. I liked
"just keep the cursive lines straight,
no lies,
just the truth of love"

Sweet poem! And thank you for commenting on my new 'rant' :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Gandre---
j.
I love this poem! A letter cannot end if it isn't signed! A perpetual letter!

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

so true...can't end if not signed...nice thought...thank you, Mary.
j.
How I've missed your poems, Jacob! Your words capture the feelings so perfectly. "Don't give me conclusion... ever" If only we could be assured of this...

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Rita.

geez,it is good to see you back!

.. read more
Beautiful my friend. I miss the days of letters. I have stored away my letters from 1973-2000. They are letter from people lost to time. I liked the want of poem. A open ending. Thank you Jacob for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

I have some very special letters saved, myself, Coyote.
thank you for your words.
j.
Coyote Poetry

6 Years Ago

A wonderful poem and you are welcome Jacob.
Brilliant wordplay, J... from title to the last line. Endless, unconditional love perhaps in few words. Your use of "scent" also triggered the senses and memories, reminding some of us of the sweet letters we received before email and text messages. Always enjoy the originality of your work!

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your kind impressions on this piece, Robert.
j.
Aaaaah, be still my fluttering heart- such an exquisite love poem j. You had me from the title- such clever wordplay. Beautifully constructed and tenderly expressed. “Write me a perpetual letter”...” I will read you forever”. Yes. Kudos!

Posted 6 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, Annette.
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1218 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 25, 2018
Last Updated on February 25, 2018

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..