Rich

Rich

A Story by Ethan Thompson
"

One page long. Short story.

"

I’ve killed her now, she’s dead on the floor next to me. I’m here at the desk writing this but you’ll find me in the basement.                   Mathew’s under the table in the kitchen. I turned his high chair around, that way he wouldn’t see it. You’ll find me in the basement.

Since you’re reading this I guess you already figured it out but the key was under the mat. Sorry to complicate things for you. Locked just felt better for some reason. Don’t worry about that other stuff either I already called and they’re on their way.

Have a seat on the couch, help yourself to a beer, she isn’t going anywhere. Do whatever you want to do, just as long as you read this because I want to tell you what happened.  

She made me do it. You didn’t hear what she said or the way she said it but I did and it was shameful.

We were on the porch having a drink. I needed to get her liquored up enough to tell me the truth, she’d lie if I asked her out right.

“When’d you go on vacation that one time?” She looked into my eyes deeper than ever before and said, “The 19th of april.” she trailed off and I asked her what she had said and she said, “I was with your brother, we stayed in your cabin, I don’t want to lie to you. I don’t want to do it anymore. I never did but you made me Charley.”

Her words hit me slowly and precisely in all the vital places like a boxer’s glove. They were cold, mechanical jabs and each one had been delicately constructed over time to knock me back a peg, and to her credit they were well designed. I started to feel uneasy and said, “That’s just fine that’s just fine dear.”

That’s all I could think to say then, I should have waited because my head filled with words after I pulled the trigger. I don’t regret it but I should have waited awhile so I could’ve at least told her how I felt.

She was screaming and crying right there on the porch for everyone to see. “You made me do it Charley. You can’t tell you anything ever. You always look up with those big pathetic eyes.”

“It’s my fault? Yeah that’s rich. That’s real rich. Yeah, That’s just fine. Rich.” I said.

She’s still in her night gown. You can have it if you want it.

I don’t think she’ll need it.

There’s blood on it though so you’ll want to spray it with saltwater as soon as you can.

I happen to like the blood stains. They’re a pretty good look for her. The shotgun blew her mouth to pieces. Her teeth are everywhere. I found one in the fern by the window. I’ll lay it here at the bottom for you. You’ll see it before anyone else does. Enjoy.


© 2017 Ethan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 12, 2017
Last Updated on November 12, 2017
Tags: a letter

Author

Ethan Thompson
Ethan Thompson

Evansville, IN



About
19 years old. My email is [email protected] more..

Writing