Dandelion Tea

Dandelion Tea

A Story by Ethan Thompson

School sucked. He dropped his backpack on the couch and went outside to smoke a much needed smoke before his parents got home from work. The neighbors daughter, Melanie, was sitting at her little table with her teddy bears. The head of the table was empty. She asked him if he wanted a cup of tea.

    “No.” he said.

    “Okay, but it’s really good.” she took a sip.

    He didn’t say anything.

    “Mmm delicious.”

    “That’s ridiculous.” he said.

    She turned towards the lake and the trees.

    “There’s nothing in there.”

    “There is if I say there is.”

    “Whatever.”

    She made chit chat with her little bear friends and he was quiet. He was about to go in but turned around to smoke another.

“I mean it’s air. You’re drinking air right now.”

    “It’s Earl Grey doofus.”

    “Nuh-uh.”

    “Yeah-huh.” she said.

    “Oh yeah?” he tapped the cigarette out and flicked it into the yard. “Well what if I do this?” he sat on the other side of the table and turned the teapot upside down.

    “Stop! You’re getting it everywhere.”

    “I’m not though because there’s nothing in it.” He put it on the plastic dish.

She crossed her arms.

    “What are you mad about, I just did you a favor. Forget about all that stuff, it’s stupid.”

    “You’re stupid.”

    He turned towards the trees on the other side of the lake. “One day you’ll be older and you’ll thank me. That stuff’s dumb. Just forget about it.”

    “You have a lumpy head.” she got up.

    “You’re better off.”

He looked behind him, she was hunched over gathering dandelions into a bucket. She filled the bucket with water from the hose and sat down at the table and dumped it into the teapot.   

    “What are you doing?”

    “It’s real tea now.” she poured herself a cup.

    “It’s disgusting is what it is.”

    “Try it.” she fixed him a cup and slid it over.

    “You’re kidding.”

    “Try it. It’s not that bad.”

    “Those are dandelions crazy.”   

    “That’s pretty much all tea is.” she took a sip.

    “Don’t drink that.”

    “It’s fine.” she said. “Try it.” she took another sip.

    He looked around but didn’t see anyone so he quickly took a drink out of the little tea cup. It had a bitter metallic taste that wasn’t unpleasant. They smiled at eachother.


© 2017 Ethan Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the story and the resolve at the end, just look out for small punctuation issues. The short story holds a lot within itself and you can see each character's personality by their actions.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ethan Thompson

6 Years Ago

Thank you! I've received similar comments in the past, would you mind clarifying some of the punctua.. read more
Lyssa

6 Years Ago

I meant after punctuation in dialogue, capitalization. "'No.' He said."
Ethan Thompson

6 Years Ago

:D okay thanks

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 18, 2017
Last Updated on November 18, 2017

Author

Ethan Thompson
Ethan Thompson

Evansville, IN



About
19 years old. My email is [email protected] more..

Writing