X-567

X-567

A Story by BFR

X-567 stands in the pale light of its examining room. It is presented with a small cylinder filled with minced vegetation. X-567 recognizes it immediately and places it on the cusp of its orifice. It allows the cylinder to bob rhythmically to the movements of its top sphere. It looks around the room for an accessory to the cylinder, but it is to no avail as it is the only object in the room. The Glats recognize it’s confusion, and with a spark of current, they ignite the end of the cylinder. X-567 is initially startled, but regains its composure quickly and begins to inhale from the opposite end of the cylinder, before exhaling a plume of dusty smoke.  X-567 is surrounded by three senior Glats, and their giant cranial orbs dance around the creature in astute observation.

The Glats were unusually cautious with X-567 as it was an extremely rare find. Creatures from the planetary system Nuclulobus were though to be long since extinct. It was a matter of sheer luck that this particular creature was mistakenly stowed away with a cargo load from an FRE-XMO Transports.

When found, the creature was barley repertory and needed a Glat electro-reposition. After the repositioning was successful the rumors swirled around the ship.

“Was it really glued to the floor?”

“I heard objects flow into its sphere and never come back”

But the most common rumor circulating around the barracks was the haunting suspicion that X-567 was sentient, and was capable of rational thought. Even saying this, sends chills down my crable. What was this creature capable of?

 There has always been speculation that Nuclulobus had an orbiting body full of thick clouds and massive fireballs. Now, many around the ship have speculated that creatures like X-567 could have been responsible of this and that this planetary orb was their home. This is why the Glats work was so important.

            As X-567 continued to consume the smoking cylinder, the Glats attempted questioning as best they could. The extremely limited information on these creatures made the normal sentient test impossible. Primitive measures must be taken.

            The Glats secured X-567 in an isolated chamber and ran the first test. In order to see if the creature was familiar with sobus, the Glats projected slides of dots that were combined to demonstrate an end sum. Five dots and seven dots, thirteen dots. Two dots and six dots, eight dots. Finally, after multiple examples, X-567 was put to the test. Four dots were shown, then seven. X-567 immediately projected eleven dots. The Glats sparkled in awe; this was by far the quickest response time by any creature previously tested. X-567 was tested multiple times and each time answered with perfect precision. It was marvelous.

            The next test was quickly issued. The Glats radiated multiple images of sentient and non-sentient objects at X-567.  After only a couple of mulex’s, X-567 was able to immediately identify the sentient from the non-sentient. The Glats were clearly enthralled by this and the popped furiously with sparking activity.

            One final test was in store, but at this point the initial suspicious of X-567 had all been confirmed. The Glats brought to X-567 a small Tablux. The Tablux was placed at the base of X-567 and the Glats eagerly awaited its reaction. X-567 seemed initially confused and slightly apprehensive of the Tablux, but after seeing that the Tablux was harmless, it reached down and picked the creature up to examine closer. Taking a deep breath into the cylinder, X-567 allowed the Tablux to move around its extended appendage. X-567 was curious and clearly understood this was a creature like itself. X-567 then placed the Tablux at its base and let it move freely. X-567 took the cylinder in its sphere orifice and, with one swift motion, slammed the ignited end through the frame of the Tablux. The creature was dead and X-567 let out a long plume of smoke.

© 2010 BFR


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Congrats on your great winning story.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 21, 2010

Author

BFR
BFR

Bedford, MA



About
Im Dumb more..

Writing
The Stowaway The Stowaway

A Story by BFR


Olive Juice Olive Juice

A Screenplay by BFR