On My Deathbed

On My Deathbed

A Story by ewest1220
"

"I guess your story was never meant to be told..."

"

On My Deathbed

By: Ethan West


     "If it were to be that I was damned at birth I would beg you tell me the cause.  What caused me to be sentenced to death even before I had the power to breathe the sweet air of the world that had not yet exposed itself to my blind eyes?  


     Before I was even able to form thought I was doomed to die.  I am an elderly man, death is knocking at my doorstep and I am afraid.  Why was I brought into this world only to be ripped from it at the very instant I had grown accustomed to it's joys and sorrows.


     But my tired and desperate eyes hide truth even in their search for it.  For my life was a plague on myself.  I had seen nothing but pain and hurt.  Yet at the same time I am drawn to that miserable heaven, that delightful hell that was my life and I don't wish to relieve my grasp.


     I was a young man once, long ago it seems.  I saw, and became a child.  I learned, and became a boy.  I stood up, and became a teenager.  I loved, and became a man.


    Who was it who caught my love so, you might ask?  She was radiance all in herself, she was beauty and grace.  She held my heart with hands of silk and fashioned it into her own with the grace of an angel.  She was my everything, she was my only thing.


     I fell to her beauty but she did not fall to my charm for I was still but a teenager.  Somberly I look back on my foolish attempts to woo her into my arms.  My discontent went with any one person but her.  For even when I found another she stole away the light from their eyes that had led me to them into the first place.  All the while becoming more bright and beautiful while I stayed as I was, just a teenager.


     When she finally invited me into her heart it was as if I had stepped unwittingly into a void as deep and wonderful as the beauteous night sky looking down on the hatred of man with omniscient pity and simple grace.  But I was, just a teenager, unworthy to look upon such beauty.  So I shied away from what I had sought for so long, fear in my heart, and failure in my stride.


     It was then that I learned of a darker side to her beauty.  A deep secret that lured her to death in spite of the peace that seemed never-ending in her smile.  I saw it within tired eyes a plot to take her life.  I cursed at the hell I had thrown my love within and the turmoil it had caused my weak and pitiful soul.


     I could shy away no longer for my affection was great.  And her need was far greater.  We fell in love and the thoughts of suicide seemed to leave her smile.  Lost in the beauty of her eyes which shone brightly in mine.  All other thoughts were erased from the world in that moment and in many more moments to come.


     I proposed to her some five years later, and we were wed under the stars.  Within our kiss was hope, happiness, and a love that seemed to be never-ending.  She stared into my eyes as I stared equally into hers.  "I now pronounce you man and wife," I smiled, and so did she.  We turned to face our families who were applauding tearfully at the beautiful sight of love completed within the gentle vows of marriage.


     My heart lifted, I had found the one.  I felt something cold brush against my arm and I turned to face my bride.  Her eyes were full of tears, but they were not tears of joy.  I stared down to see a knife in her hand.  Her arm swung inward and I thrust my arm towards the blade.  Desperate to stop the act that her eyes had hidden so well.


     My heart had broken, in her eyes there were only two words written out for me to read.  "I'm sorry," my hand closed around the blade of the knife and..."


     I approached the man's bed quietly to remove the corpse.  No person had come to visit, but I could have sworn he had been talking aloud for the past several minutes.  Perhaps he was lonely, looking for anybody to tell his story to.


    I sighed as I pulled the sheet over his stiff face.  "Well old man," I said quietly.  "I guess your story was never meant to be told."

© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
This was a sort of monologue turned short story. Hope you all like it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a wonderful thing to read... LOVED the ending... Oh! The beginning and middle too... but that ending! WOW! Thank you. Favorite line:   She was my everything, she was my only thing. Says everything he felt in those nine words. Beautiful piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thank you so much! I'm really thrilled you enjoyed this thank you so much again for reading!
Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

I have read some of your things before. I really enjoy reading short stories. Poetry is just not .. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I understand the poetry thing it's not exactly the most popular form of writing out there. And than.. read more



Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Good job once again.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I had to re-read it to be clear of who was telling the story. Therefore, I liked the twist ending to your story. I think we have all fallen in love with a tainted person in some point of our lives--this is just the story of one who didn't survive it.

Just read it again...she killed herself, after all. The story's being told years into the future. This is one of those stories that people enjoy reading because you keep finding out other things with each reading.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, I mean WOW. I was just slammed right in the heart with an emotional baseball bat. Great wording and phrasing. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holy s**t, man i couldn't keep my eyes away from the screen my eyes are burning now that was a f*****g great story man, i applaud you man. It was great.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thanks man! I'm glad you enjoyed it this was one of the stories that should make it to publicat.. read more
Brandon Mathis

11 Years Ago

thats awesome man
What a wonderful thing to read... LOVED the ending... Oh! The beginning and middle too... but that ending! WOW! Thank you. Favorite line:   She was my everything, she was my only thing. Says everything he felt in those nine words. Beautiful piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thank you so much! I'm really thrilled you enjoyed this thank you so much again for reading!
Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

I have read some of your things before. I really enjoy reading short stories. Poetry is just not .. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I understand the poetry thing it's not exactly the most popular form of writing out there. And than.. read more
Haunting O.o but oh so true! we are indeed doomed to die before we even take a breathe! great write west!
~Dreamer!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm really glad you liked it!
Yeah! Really nice one

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
This was really quite good. Great story idea. You made me pity the old man. Well done!

-Jade

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
I like this :) good job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
interesting...a dream after a fashion...life in the blink of an eye...or type of the key more like

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Very true very true. Well anyways thank you so much for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed my work!
gombeggar

11 Years Ago

welcome...keep writing

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1467 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 22, 2012
Last Updated on July 22, 2012
Tags: short stories, dark, reflective

Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..