Chapter 6:  A Savior?

Chapter 6: A Savior?

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

“Run!” Tao screamed desperately. “Our lives are forfeit! Flee this place!”

"

Chapter 6: A Savior?


Tao, by now, had left the inside of the carriage to sit on top with the driver. She watched the dust cloud silently, apprehension painted on her face. It was obvious by the size of the dust could that the men were fast approaching. They didn't have much time left.


Tao strung her bow in silence, then turned her attention to the front of the carriage There was a small cliff, about 10 feet in height, where she could make her stand if need be. Suddenly a black arrow whizzed past her hear. Landing, with a sickening thud, in the back of her driver's head.


Tao lunged for the reigns as the driver slid off the seat, rolling under the wheels of the carriage with a sickening crackle of breaking bone. Merade swung the carriage door open hastily to see what the commotion was about.


“Looks like you were right Tao,” Merade sighed.


“I'll approach that cliff and shoot the riders from the top of the cart. It will be hard for them to see me against the texture of the cliff in the fading daylight.” Tao gasped, her heart thumping in her chest.


“Take Elenor to the top of the cliff,” She commanded as the carriage slowed to a halt in at the side of the road. “She'll be safe there for now, then come back and help me.”


Merade whispered something in Elenor's ear and she immediately sprinted towards a low point in the cliff and climbed up, disappearing into the brush.


“There,” Merade said sternly. “She's a big girl she can take care of herself.”


Another arrow landed in the cliff wall as they prepared for the oncoming attack.


Tao raised her bow and fired three arrows toward the approaching cavalry. Killing two of the men and knocking them off their steeds. The now leaderless horses ran to the sides, knocking two more horses down and sending their riders sprawling along the path. Trampled by the other six men as they continued their charge.


They halted 100 yards away from the carriage Three of the men dismounted, firing a volley of arrows towards the two women. One of the arrows struck Tao in the shoulder as she yelped in searing pain. Merade lay beside her, waiting for the chance to strike.


The three men, still under the cover of archery fire, were wielding small wooden shields and scimitars. They encircled the carriage as Tao, letting out one final scream, ripped the arrow from her bleeding shoulder. She lay down on the carriage next to Merade. The jeers of the men echoing along the road.


The archers had halted their barrage, as the Amas cavalry were too close to guarantee a safe shot. It was exactly what Merade had been waiting for. She lunged from the roof of the carriage at one of the horsemen. Grabbing him around the throat she pulled him off his horse, stealing the scimitar from his hand and tossing it to Tao before either of them had hit the ground.


Tao leapt from the top of the carriage as well, Scimitar in her uninjured right arm and the two women joined in front of the carriage, back to back. Waiting for the soldiers to advance.


The other two horsemen began their attack in sweeping motions, engaging the women for but a second before riding away, only to loop back and attack again. The archers had once again mounted their horses, withdrawing long spears from their backs. They began to advance on the two women as well.


Tao and Merade looked at the approaching soldiers with despair. Knives and a Scimitar would not hold out long against cavalry. The man who Tao had tackled was running, under the cover of the attacking cavalry, towards the cliff where Elenor had climbed up to safety.


Tao and Merade despaired at their utter failure to protect her, and prayed that she had hidden well. Above all the commotion a silent predator lurked. Watching all the action and debating what to do in silence.


***


Elenor had been watching the events from another part of the cliff. The man with only the shield was nowhere to be found, for she had been too busy watching her bodyguards' desperate attempts to defend her.


Tears flowed down her cheeks as she said a silent prayer to her guardians. And suddenly a rough hand turned her around in the dirt. She gave a wail of terror at the site of the Amas soldier facing her.


“You're coming with me puppet,” said the man in a smooth sinister voice. “But why,” he continued, his eyes drifting to Elenor's chest. “Should they have all the fun?”


“N...N....No....” Elenor stuttered eyes wide with terror as the man reached for her waist.


As the man's rough hand closed around her waist his eyes bulged, not in desire, but in pain as a smooth hand closed itself around the back of his throat.


“Yes, yes you're quite right,” Issak cackled madly. “Why, I think I would like to have some fun as well... Do you want to know what sounds like fun to me?”


The man's eyes widened in horror as Issak lifted him to his feet. The man had no time to think, not even to scream, as Issak's giant sword separated his head from his body like a knife through butter. His bleeding corpse falling into the grass beside Elenor who's skin turned pale with disgust.


“Are you alright?” Issak asked softly as he reached out his hand to help Elenor up.


“Please, save them,” Elenor said weakly.


Issak stared at her, eyebrow raised curiously. “Alright, but I need your help,” he said after a brief pause. “Let's get their attention away from your friends.” Elenor nodded slowly.


Tao and Merade were exhausted. They both knew failure was immanent as the men continued their relentless attack. Never sticking around for long enough to receive a counterattack but lunging forward with blade, spear, horse and shield.


“Stop!” a voice yelled from the cliff. Tao and Merade's hearts sunk as they turned to see Elenor standing at the edge of the cliff. “Leave them alone! It's me you want!”


“D****t,” Merade muttered under her breath.


“Run!” Tao screamed desperately. “Our lives are forfeit! Flee this place!”


But it was too late. The five men had already dismounted and were sprinting straight for her.


Merade threw one of her knifes at the nearest adversary. Hitting him directly through his spine in his upper back. The man's hear stopped before he had even hit the ground.


But as Merade raised her hand to let loose the other knife Tao collapsed beside her. Clutching her shoulder with a groan of pain. Merade, yelling one last time for Elenor to run, rushed to the aid of her fallen companion.


Elenor watched as the first man approached the edge of the cliff. “They're here!” She yelled excitedly.


The men's confused faces watched as the figure of a man appeared from the dense brush. A man with a long, single edged blade. And a twisted smile on his face.



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Alright this was copied straight from a written page so there may be typos. Please let me know where I can expand, what questions are unanswered or, really, any input you have on this book this has been a long time in the making. I have the entire book written I just need to translate it to text. Thank you guys so much for reading and for your support you guys are awesome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There are quite a few spelling errors and fragmented sentences in this chapter. I also noticed spelling errors in the previous chapter. Please give your work a thorough second or even third look. I know that can take some time, but it will help make these chapters so much easier to read. And some of the word choices don't make sense. Like that one random soldier telling Elenor "You're coming with me, puppet." Did you mean to put in the word "poppet" instead? That would make a bit more sense. Although, with the word "poppet", I suddenly picture that soldier looking like the pirate who always called Elizabeth Swann "poppet" in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. However, that is strictly my own weird, completely out of place visualization of the character. But, if pirates do show up in this story, that would be awesome!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Whoops, lol meant to make that guy a little pirate like. I mean considering what he wanted to do it.. read more
Junert

11 Years Ago

Sometimes it's not a writer's fault to make mistake. When your mind starts imagining, everything els.. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol very true very true. However I'm quite thankful for the editor's existence I'll admit.



Reviews

wow.so here is the woman coming into action.great.i enjoyed this battle too.it's electrifying!!!!!!!!.......though i didn't get what kind of help Isaaak needs.he only ants a horse .and he is great enough to get it all by himself......but anywAy it's a great and enthusiastic chapter....i've enjoyed it!!!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the story so far!
I'm so very intrigued

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I'm glad! Thank you so much for reading!
Still liking it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Sweet! :)
Loved this chapter:) so dark and intriguing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm really glad you're enjoying it! :) Thank you so much for reading!
Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

No problem:)
So much suffering. haha. It kinda adds to the suspense in a way.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol I hope that mean's you're enjoying it ;)
haha... keep making your characters suffer... it intrigues readers....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Then I'm afraid you will be quite intrigued throughout this book... I tend to be a little relentless.. read more
There are quite a few spelling errors and fragmented sentences in this chapter. I also noticed spelling errors in the previous chapter. Please give your work a thorough second or even third look. I know that can take some time, but it will help make these chapters so much easier to read. And some of the word choices don't make sense. Like that one random soldier telling Elenor "You're coming with me, puppet." Did you mean to put in the word "poppet" instead? That would make a bit more sense. Although, with the word "poppet", I suddenly picture that soldier looking like the pirate who always called Elizabeth Swann "poppet" in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. However, that is strictly my own weird, completely out of place visualization of the character. But, if pirates do show up in this story, that would be awesome!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Whoops, lol meant to make that guy a little pirate like. I mean considering what he wanted to do it.. read more
Junert

11 Years Ago

Sometimes it's not a writer's fault to make mistake. When your mind starts imagining, everything els.. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol very true very true. However I'm quite thankful for the editor's existence I'll admit.
Nice

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks again lol
A very good chapter. A lot of action. I like the situation you put poor Issak in. Made him react to a dangerous situation and place. I like the strong ending to the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it Coyote! I think my description improves as I go on (Or at least it seems like.. read more
The only thing I can think of is maybe describing the pain more, what does it feel like ...
Wonderful story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

True. I'll see what I can do! Thank you so much for reading I'm thrilled you enjoy my work!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

631 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2012
Last Updated on August 5, 2012
Tags: Book, Dark, Reflective, Fantasy


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..