Chapter 8: Among Friends

Chapter 8: Among Friends

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

“Until then,” she thought to herself as her eyes drifted shut. “Sleep well Issak.”

"

Chapter 8: Among Friends


Issak halted the carriage approximately a half-day's ride from Shenok Duhl. His mind fogged from lack of sleep he looked up into the deep blue sky. There was no moon, but the stars shined brightly. Creating a comforting light for the surrounding foliage. He sighed deeply, comforted by the stillness of the night that hung thickly in the air.


“Why have we stopped?” Issak turned his head slowly around. Merade sat behind him with a curious look on her face, her brown eyes staring directly into his own.


“It's nothing,” Issak replied hastily. “Just...”


“Just what?” Merade asked. “It's alright to talk about it. You're among friends.”


Issak sighed slowly. “Had things occurred differently we would be bitter enemies.”


“But they didn't,” Merade said soothingly. “You saved our lives you have no reason to be hated for such a deed.”


Issak shrugged. “How long have you been sitting behind me?” He asked, changing the subject.


“Awhile,” answered Merade. “You really don't pay attention much, do you?” She chuckled softly.


“I understand why you would take such a precaution,” Issak said sadly.


“I was out here to protect you, not Elenor thank you very much.” Merade said cooly.


Issak turned his head back around and snapped the reigns, calling the horses to action.


“However you are surly quite a dark character.” Merade commented. “You kill with such brutal efficiency for a man so young, you barely smile and only talk when someone talks to you. But you are young! Your life should be full of life, not death!


“And yet,” Issak interrupted. “Here I am, exactly what I shouldn't be.”


“She did not say that,” Tao said her rough figure climbing along the side of the carriage. “She merely wants to know how one such as yourself became what you are today. What is this terrible thing that haunts your mind? Do not say it is nothing we can see it in your eyes and actions.”


But what they did not see were the tears silently forming in the the corner of the very eyes Tao was talking about.


“I don't want to talk about it.” Issak choked.


“Are you alright?” Tao asked urgently. “Please tell us, we owe you our lives. We can help...”


“I don't think you can.” Issak interrupted. Awkward silence filled the still air only interupted by the slight squeak of the carriage wheels.


“I'll drive,” Tao said in a motherly tone. “You get some sleep alright?”


Issak stopped and traded places with Tao. He lay down on the hard wood on the top of the carriage and, with the night sky softly pressing in upon him, fell finally into a deep sleep.


***


Elenor's eyes were full of silent tears. The carriage was not soundproof and she had heard every work of what was spoken. The tears that fell from her eyes, brought forth by Issak's pain, strengthened her resolve to help him.


She did not yet know what her feelings for Issak were. But the tears that were softly running down her face gave her a hint. She would talk to her father in the morning to see how he felt.


“Until then,” she thought to herself as her eyes drifted shut. “Sleep well Issak.”



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Another short chapter. The last section bothers me though it seems a little corny and unfocused. What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

the title is very apt......it seems he has finally found some friends over here.who could read those depressing emotions in his eyes-...and there seems that the princess is coming on to him....anyway.but i really lked it......it really feels a bit disgusting to see him like this.being ignored well.not actually ignored but being hated for being a monster..nice work!!!!!.hope these friends will trust him too!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I think you'll like where this ends up :) Thanks for reading once again I'm thrilled you're enjoying.. read more



Reviews

I like the chapter. A good conversation trying to create calm and peace. I like Merade desire to offer thanks and polite conversation. I like the ending. Even the hero must rest. A excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


the title is very apt......it seems he has finally found some friends over here.who could read those depressing emotions in his eyes-...and there seems that the princess is coming on to him....anyway.but i really lked it......it really feels a bit disgusting to see him like this.being ignored well.not actually ignored but being hated for being a monster..nice work!!!!!.hope these friends will trust him too!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I think you'll like where this ends up :) Thanks for reading once again I'm thrilled you're enjoying.. read more
The dialogue is good I cant think how you would change the end but I think perhaps it could be reworded so you got a sense of her feelings within the dialogue, if that makes sense. Alos in the first papragrah I think it sounds better stars shone brightly.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Good point actually, I'll change it and see how I like it! Thanks again for all your help Moon! I'.. read more
Nice one

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Good, nicely written

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks again lol
I honestly can't come up with anything but the fact that it's great...
Whats wrong with me today?

emilythestrange xxx

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

lol nothing is wrong with you at all. I'm really glad you liked it it's always a pleasure to hear f.. read more
emilythestrange

11 Years Ago

:D
great chapter. I like getting deeper with issak.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far!
I adore this book so far, issak's tormented soul has captured more than Tao and merades attention:) can't wait for chapter 9!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Sweet :D I'm glad that he has captured your attention and I really hope I don't disappoint ^_^ Than.. read more
I like the last part. I definitely think you should keep it. Not corny at all! And sometimes it's good to have a little break from the main focus of the story.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Very true very true. I think it might just stay. It pushes the story right where I need it to go s.. read more
Only one mistake, work intead of word, thats great. And if I'm right something might occur between Eleanor and Issak, aww I love it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Whoops! lol I'll fix that ASAP. I'm really glad you enjoyed my work thank you so much for reading!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

815 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 5, 2012
Last Updated on August 5, 2012
Tags: Book, Dark, Reflective, Fantasy


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My child My child

A Poem by V.J.C.