Chapter 10: The King

Chapter 10: The King

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

“Here he is! The man of the hour!”

"

Chapter 10: The King


Issak approached the gate at the end of the hall. The same plain decorations were here as well. Though there was an addition of two guards on either side of the throne room door. He stepped forward and placed his hand on the handle.


“Sir!” one of the guards snapped.


“Sir?” Issak questioned. Did they really just call him sir?


“I'm sorry but there are no weapons allowed in the throne room,” the guard said firmly in response to Issak's angry stare.


Issak's tone was cold as ice as his hand reached for the blade's hilt. “I either enter with the sword or not at all. I will make no exception.”


“Than you may leave,” the guard said angrily.


“It is alright,” came a voice from down the hall. Merade placed her hand on Issak's shoulder. “If he were any danger he would have proven such already. Let him in.”


The guards yielded with a sigh and pushed open the gate. All the while staring at Issak's hand which was gripping the sword tightly.


“Thank you,” Issak muttered to Merade as he entered the throne room.


Like every other room in the keep the throne room shone with an simple and humble beauty. Scattered plants lined the walls and tall pillars surrounded the red carpet. All leading to the wooden throne which sat atop a platform the was round in shape. There sat the King, Elenor and Tao standing on either side in still silence.


“Here he is! The man of the hour!” Said a booming voice as Issak entered the throne room. “Come, come there will always be a place in Shenok Duhl for the hero who saved my daughter.”


“Hero?” he thought sadly. “He had to bring that up.” But his thoughts were interrupted quickly as the man's voice once again echoed across the throne room.


“My daughter and I are very grateful for...” His face wrinkled in puzzlement. “I'm sorry, I forgot to ask you your name.”


“Issak,” Issak said softly. His eyes meeting the kings with cool contemplation.


“I apologize,” the King said softly, the boom lessening from his voice. “I am an old man and I do forget my manners on occasion.”


He didn't, however, appear elderly by any definition to Issak's eyes. The King's eyes shined vibrantly with life and his hair and beard, though greying, were thick and healthy. Hardly the appearance of an old man.


The King lifted himself from his wooden throne and began to walk towards Issak. He towered over Issak in both size and stature, amusement painted on his face in reaction to Issak's cool gaze.


“Your highness!” Tao shouted urgently. “He has a weapon, please do not endanger...”


“Come now,” the King interrupted “Issak we shall take a walk through the gardens. It is quite the beautiful place if I do say so myself. A great place for a romantic stroll!” he turned and winked at Elenor, or maybe Issak was just imagining it. “It is also the perfect place for two friends to converse.”


“There is quite a nice little area of the garden with a pond.” the King continued his voice taking a softer tone as he placed his hand on Issak's shoulder. “There we will have both privacy and tranquility. We can talk freely and I can properly meet you.” The guard closed the door to the throne room with a slam as they proceeded down the hall.


“You are quite the dangerous looking young man,” the King said calmly as they continued on their journey. “I cannot wait to hear your story!”


“Cannot wait to hear my story?” Issak thought bitterly. “What does this man want from me?”



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
I will admit this isn't my favorite chapter. Not a whole lot happens here but the introduction to a character. Aside from more setting detail is there anything that needs more improvement? Thanks again for your input!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"the man of the hour":the king.well.if i judge him by this chapter.he's kind and generous and is may be hiding a small mystery from isaak(if i go with the concluding part).but still.let's see what lies ahead.anyway.it's a nice one too.o always enjoy reading your work!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I always enjoy hearing from you as well thank you again for reading!



Reviews

A very good situation. The King is a wise man. He lead the conversation with humor and politeness. I like the complete chapter. Good to open door slowly when mystery and question is alive. Thank you for the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


"the man of the hour":the king.well.if i judge him by this chapter.he's kind and generous and is may be hiding a small mystery from isaak(if i go with the concluding part).but still.let's see what lies ahead.anyway.it's a nice one too.o always enjoy reading your work!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I always enjoy hearing from you as well thank you again for reading!
Well written, i loved reading every part of it. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!
Mariah Corey

11 Years Ago

np. :D
I think this is good also set out it easier cleaner read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

This one was one I wrote just now so cleaner does make more sense (I've learned a little in the two .. read more
Good

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Very good, you've put space in the text making it easy to read.
There doesn't need to be action in every chapter, here we meet the king, itäs action enough.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I agree, I don't think a 100% violent book would be very interesting anyways XP
Yheela

11 Years Ago

No!
I'd get bored! Action needs some peace that can be shattered.
I can't tell if the King's intentions are wicked...hmmm. I'll keep reading, obviously

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I hope you like who the king becomes...
This is very good stuff ewest....I like to compare every story I read to movies or series that I like...Because well, I am a movie buff...This reminds me alot of The Game of Thrones meets a Witcher type theme...I love your vivid description of the surroundings and alot of readers love that...Tolkhiem was extremely vivid and right down to the sharpest of points when it came to backdrops and scenes...One of the reasons The Lord of The Rings series was so great...The King seems to be your usuall pompus and arrogant leader...When he completely ignores his guards...Makes that untouchable approach...Very good so far my friend Kepp it up!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thank you so much for all our input! I'm really thrilled you're enjoying my work and there's mo.. read more
Matty Bosox

11 Years Ago

Its always my pleasure buddy....If I understand one thing about writers, its that we need other peop.. read more
I like this chapter, and especially the king.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
i like the character of the king as well, very interesting person. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you like him!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

843 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 10, 2012
Last Updated on August 10, 2012
Tags: Book, Dark, Reflective, Fantasy


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..