Chapter 11: An Angel Rises to Devil's Call

Chapter 11: An Angel Rises to Devil's Call

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

"She stared around the dimly lit cathedral sadly. Her white dress and long blue hair flowing from an unseen breeze."

"

Chapter 11: An Angel Rises to Devil's Call


Pain shot through her soul like white hot knifes. Well, the only part of her left was her soul, her spirit trapped in this great black void. But she had felt nothing for so long. Why now could she feel such pain? Her soul writhing and twisting with ache.


The woman's eyes opened as she screamed in pain. The voice was pulling away from her, the pain pressing harder and harder. Her body shook and her soul began to break Then, with a great flash and an explosion of pain her soul split itself from her body. The white light giving way to large cathedral where her body lay.


She stared down at her body curiously. Then, with another flash of pain two great white wings ripped themselves from Anri's shoulders. Blood spattering the stone ground behind her. The wings were identical to the ones surrounding her body on the floor, pure white, like an angels wings.


She stared around the dimly lit cathedral sadly. Her white dress and long blue hair flowing from an unseen breeze.


“But why have I been awakened?” the woman thought silently.


As if in answer to her question she heard the echo of two voices. Once sounded like a young man in his 20's. The other could be his father by the tones of voice.


“I would give you anything in my power to give for the service you have given me. But yet you ask nothing of me...” the older man's voice echoed around the cathedral.


“I do not deserve your thanks, nor your kindness my lord.” the young man replied impatiently.


“That voice...” the woman thought curiously. “It's familiar.”


“It was mere luck that brought us together that day,” the young man said. “Nothing more.”


“That voice,” the woman said out loud. “Why do I fear his voice?”


Suddenly her world collapsed around her. The stone crumbling to dust as pain overwhelmed her newly restored body. Meanwhile the voices of Issak and the King grew louder and louder...


***


“There is no need to be so humble,” the King said to Issak lightly.


“Humble or not I do not seek reward,” Issak replied impatiently. “I do not understand your motive, you brought me here with no bodyguards. You even allowed me to keep my weapons.”


“That is actually why I brought you here,” the King said with a smile. “You have two daggers concealed under your shirt. They are made of iron if I'm not mistaken, but they are cheap and feeble yes, yes I do think you could use something different!”


The king reached into the hedge to his right, pulling out two curved daggers. “Take these at least. They are made from the same material as your sword. They should never wear or break.”


Issak, with a nod of gratitude, traded his weapons with the king.


“Is it not foolish,” Issak questioned cautiously. “to give a weapon to someone you barely know? I could be a shifter for all you know.”


“Innocent until proven guilty,” the Kind replied. “But it's not what you are, but who you are that truly matters to me.”


“A wise method, and an unusual one for a king,” Issak smiled softly. “Surely you must fear the damned nonetheless.”


“I do,” the King sighed. “I have been blessed as the curse of the damned has not yet plagued my humble abode. However I would have a hard time sentencing a man to death who's only crime is being born a monster.”


“You are a wise man,” Issak said as he sat down on a stone bench in the middle of the garden.


“So I've been told,” the King chuckled. “I don't suppose you would indulge me with your story.”


“My story?” Issak questioned.


“I would like you to start,” the King said, his tone changing. “With how you came upon my daughter in the woods.”


Suddenly he felt a stir in the air, as though something had brushed past him. He also felt a pair on unseen eyes that appeared fixed on him and the King. Issak drew his blade and yelled to the surrounding hedge. “Show yourself!”


“It seems that the spirits are watching us tonight,” the King said with a sigh. Unaware of the truth in his words.


“My daughter,” he began. “Told me that you had an interesting talk with her bodyguards, Tao and Merade the night before you arrived.


“She heard that did she?” Issak said as his heart sunk.


“She did,” the King sighed. “She begged and pleaded with me to help you. I told her that it was none of my business but...” he paused. “It's hard to say no to someone you love. And she carries a great deal of concern for you.”


“It was a moment of weakness,” Issak snapped. “Nothing more.


“I see,” the King said unimpressed. “Than allow me to rephrase my question. How did a man such as yourself become what you are now. From what my bodyguards said you made mincemeat out of almost 10 fully trained Amas soldiers. For one so young this is quite the accomplishment.”


“I must apologize,” Issak said slowly. “But that is a conversation for another day. If you please.”


“I understand,” the King said with a smile. “You are ever the mystery my friend. Will you at least answer me this.”


“Perhaps,” Issak said cooly.


“Do you love my daughter?” the King asked directly.


Issak was taken aback. His cool expression replaced with a shocked silence. “Do I love your daughter?” he repeated the question silently.


“My situation is such that I would never be able to have such a love,” Issak answered carefully.


“It is a yes or no question, Issak.” the King said cooly.


“I cannot say,” Issak said cautiously. “I know not much more about her than her title, and even that I have only known for a day.”


“Well said,” the King chuckled.


They talked for a long while about mundane things. Issak told him about the Amas army nearby. The King had already dispatched a messenger to deal with them. Long into the night they talked, Issak's cold heart finally beginning to give way to his gracious host.


***


The woman stared at the man she had heard in the cathedral. Her wings were no longer existent, two thick scars on her shoulders from where they had ripped the skin, her eyes were glowing with white light. She bent the light around her with the power, allowing no light to reach the eyes of Issak and the king.


She stared intently at the boy. He was a shifter, of that there was no doubt. But his mind was an enigma that she could not make sense of. She was reminded of a small light amid a sea of black. She had to make contact with him somehow. For she was certain the reason she had awakened had everything to do with the man before her.


“I believe that a man creates himself, it does not matter what is in his past, more what he choses to be in the present.” The King said to Issak.


“A wise man indeed,” the woman said under her breath as the two men stood up to leave. She followed them both back into the castle. The stillness of the night muffling her footsteps.



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
Another developmental chapter, a small amount of depth and yet another character introduced. These couple chapters are a little slow so thank you guys for bearing with me. Lots of important setup here. Please let me know if you notice anything wrong here again these chapters are handwritten originally so some errors may be present. Thanks again for all your help! You guys are awesome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

remember internal dialogue again doesn't need quotation marks...sometime to italicize that dialogue works for me...just a thought...and once again more detail, more flushing out of everything...don't mean to be tearing your stuff up just offering advice to make your work more full and complete cuz u have a story here worth putting out there and publishing

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Absolutely my friend once again I'm very grateful for the help. I'll change the internal dialogue t.. read more
gombeggar

11 Years Ago

now...that is only a suggestion that makes sense to me...other writers do use quotation marks, but y.. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Ah I see, well for me I usually use quotes but I see where it could get confusing. I'll have to pla.. read more



Reviews

I see the charracters if they are right in front of me and you show their personality. I love it. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm thrilled you like it!
Lovely

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!
Nicely done! I really am enjoying this story so far.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Awesome! Thank you so much for reading my friend I hope you enjoy the rest as well!
A little fragmented perhaps, but it might be what you want?
I do like the bit with the angel (?) , but Issak and the King ... a little thin.
I would like you to flesh it out, add more to their conversation, not just "they spoke of ..."

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

huh, actually that's a really good point. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with :)
Yheela

11 Years Ago

I tend to write stuff like:
"And they play all kinds of Xbox games through the night."
.. read more
I love your characters ewest...Sometimes its hard to make such vivid characters without more dialog...Like a screenplay..But you do a good job...I love the angelic awakening in the beginning and I love the character of Isaac as a whole...Like I said before the King seems very shifty and arrogant...Kind of like he doesn't fear Isaac in any way....Taking his daggers from him without even asking....Very good stuff so far my friend...Keep it up!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

The King's character is... complicated? I'll be honest I wrote him the whole way without being real.. read more
Matty Bosox

11 Years Ago

My pleasure buddy...Keep it up!!!
Love the king, he seems pretty legit :). I like where this is going, though a little confused as I am about it right now, I'm sure you will enlighten me on a later date. good work :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Wow thanks! I'm really glad you like it and I hope I answer all your questions in the following cha.. read more
quixotic_rose

11 Years Ago

that's all i simply as of you :)
The characters seem real almost. The king isn't as 'funny', but i still like him.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad the characters seem real thank you so much for reading!
Very strong chapter ad per usual:) I can't wait to read more!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! Can't wait for you to read more as well ;)
Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

no problem haha:) send me an RR when chapter 12 is up :)
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Will do! :D
Hmmm. Angel wings and a cathedral? What exactly is their system of religion, if they have one? Is it monotheistic or polytheistic? Or is it more nature based? I actually loved reading that the King just had two random daggers placed in a hedge. That's just awesome! This other character you have introduced seems to have a connection to Issak and I hope you expand on that and also expand on the connection between him and Elizabeth. There were some grammatical errors that I'm sure you'll find when you give the chapter a second look. Other than that, I'm really liking this story!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I'm sure I'll pic up on the grammar errors as well :) Though I am really excited you're enjoying th.. read more
Another great chapter :)
I really enjoyed it.
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

849 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 10, 2012
Last Updated on August 10, 2012
Tags: Book, Dark, Reflective, Fantasy


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


My child My child

A Poem by V.J.C.