Chapter 14:  Shackles of Kindness

Chapter 14: Shackles of Kindness

A Chapter by ewest1220
"

"Wait for me my love..."

"

Chapter 14: Shackles of Kindness


“Are you alright?” Came a woman's voice from above him.


Issak was crying, the other kids laughter ringing in his ears. He looked up to see a young girl standing in front of him. Issak shook his head, his black eye shining in the summer heat.


“I don't need your help,” Issak said bitterly. Lifting himself from the dirt. His head spinning.


The girl looked upset at his answer. But Issak didn't care, he had to train harder. Until he could beat those kids, until he could beat anybody.


“What's your name?” Issak asked swiftly.


“Elizabeth,” she said with a smile. “What's your's?”


“Issak,” he said smiling back. “I'm sorry for getting angry with you.”


“It's ok!” Elizabeth said laughing. “Come on! Let's go do something fun! It'll take your mind off of you eye!”


Issak smiled and followed her as they ran off into the setting sun. “I'm so sorry Elizabeth, I'm so sorry.”


Issak awoke with a start into the midmorning sun. He sighed sadly at his dream. “Why was I born like this?” Issak muttered bitterly. “Why did she have to die?”


He stood up slowly and began to dress himself, his mind awash in all that had happened within the last couple days. He was prepared to leave but the King's voice still rang in his ears. Chances are he would not just be able to walk out the front door, he would need a plan.


Suddenly there was a loud tap on his bedroom door. “Enter,” Issak said cooly.


Elenor opened the door slowly. Her beautiful eyes were filled to the brim with questions. Issak sighed as she closed the door behind her.


“I just wanted to thank,” Elenor began.


“There is no need for thanks,” Issak interrupted, careful to watch his tone. “More importantly, what were you doing in my room at such a late hour?”


“I wanted to really thank you, in person.” Elenor said taken aback by Issak's question. “And I wanted to make sure you had everything you needed. I am in your debt Issak and I know not how to pay it back.”


“Why would you go to such lengths,” Issak began. “To thank a man such as myself?”


“I do not know your past,” Elenor said carefully. “All I know is what I have seen, and based on that I owe you my thanks; at the very least.”


“I highly doubt the only reason you came here was to thank me,” Issak said his eyebrow lifted slightly.


“I need to talk to you about something,” Elenor said cautiously. “Can you meet me in the gardens after your dinner with the king?”


Issak paused for a moment, then nodded his head in approval. Elenor smiled and, without another word, left the room.


Issak sighed heavily. It would appear that another sleepless night was in store. Another night at this castle, another night that they were at risk.


“I have never had two episodes in a week,” Issak reassured himself. “I'll be fine.” But he would have to leave as soon as possible. He couldn't risk killing these people, he had been alone for so long. Ever since that horrible day that haunted his nightmares.


Tap tap tap! “Enter,” Issak said again with yet another sigh. “Why can't they just leave me alone?” He murmured as Merade entered the room.


“And to what,” Issak said cooly. “Do I owe this pleasure Merade?”


“I have been sent here to keep an eye on you,” Merade said calmly. “The King has requested your presence at dinner tonight. And he also forbids you to leave the castle.” Issak rolled his eyes. “I am here to ensure that you do not leave before his Highness is satisfied.”


“Satisfied?” Issak questioned.


“Yes, satisfied,” Merade answered without hesitation.


“Very well,” Issak said with yet another long sigh. “I will allow this intrusion for now.”


Merade blinked in shock at Issak's words. “Intrusion? How dare he!”


“Something the matter?” Issak said with a smirk.


“Of course not,” Merade snapped. “I will be waiting outside the door if you need anything.


She slammed the door behind her as Issak chuckled coldly under his breath. “Temper temper,” he muttered underneath suppressed mirth.


Issak left the room several minutes later. Merade lurking in his shadow mere feet behind him. He would wander along the outskirts of town and survey the area. He needed to find a way out, and fast. But even as he began his search for a way out the shackles of kindness grew tighter and tighter around his heart...


***


“We must act now!” Elizabeth shouted at the top of her voice. “Please, before he kills more innocent people. You remember what happened in Gransein? I will not allow you to let that man kill more innocent people!”


“Enough!” Said the man before her. His silver armor shining bleakly in the midday sunlight. “You would have me mount an attack on Shenok Duhl? Do you realize the cost that would have on my men for such a small chance of success!?”


“Then allow me to find him.” Elizabeth said desperately. “I will make him leave the city and then we'll have him.”


“What makes you think you could possibly...”


“I have dealt with him before,” Elizabeth said with a smirk. “If you hadn't botched the attack we wouldn't even be dealing with this nuisance.”


“Enough!” the man shouted angrily. “You will bring him out of the gates by tomorrow's eve. Bring him to the edge of this forest and we will handle the rest. If you cannot I will hear no more of this nonsense.”


“As you wish,” Elizabeth said with a smile as she turned toward the road, and the city where evil had taken refuge. Issak would finally be brought to justice. She smiled proudly. “Wait for me my love...”



© 2012 ewest1220


Author's Note

ewest1220
The first of several chapters that are 100% fresh. I'm exploring adding some character depth and most of these chapters will have a lot of details added after the first draft. Thanks for reading and any feedback you can give me is greatly appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm confused. How could Issak think that Elizabeth was dead? Didn't they run into each other at the beginning of the story? I think you need to explain that better. It's a very interesting subplot, but if you're going to focus on it, do so. Quite a lot of stuff happened without any mention of Elizabeth and her history with Issak and I actually find that way more interesting than your main plot. Please don't take that the wrong way. I just think your main plot needs some work and that you should flesh out the characters and add depth to more than just Issak.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

He didn't realize it was her. I may not have made that clear at the beginning. Though with all thi.. read more



Reviews

Nicely written. I make one suggestion - when the character is thinking, use the single single quotation marks or Italic the statement just so the reader knows that the character is not speaking.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Good suggestion I'll make sure to do that in the rewrite! Thanks for the input!
Good expression descritive write perhaps give more context !

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

It's coming :) In the next couple chapters things hit the fan and a lot comes to light.
I'm confused. How could Issak think that Elizabeth was dead? Didn't they run into each other at the beginning of the story? I think you need to explain that better. It's a very interesting subplot, but if you're going to focus on it, do so. Quite a lot of stuff happened without any mention of Elizabeth and her history with Issak and I actually find that way more interesting than your main plot. Please don't take that the wrong way. I just think your main plot needs some work and that you should flesh out the characters and add depth to more than just Issak.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

He didn't realize it was her. I may not have made that clear at the beginning. Though with all thi.. read more
good dialogue...needs to be fleshed out more with details

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

I agree, I'm going to go back after this little extra part is done and flesh it out a little more.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
LOVELY CHAPTER! ^-^ It was really nice and excellently written great job! WOOT WOOT! :3

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it thank you so much for reading!
Oh man! Such a long time I had to wait for this chapter!! Keep going! Really want to rad next chapter :)
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anonymous Girl

11 Years Ago

Well you are welcome... Just to let you know its H Tallat.. I changed my name cuz most people would'.. read more
ewest1220

11 Years Ago

Cool! Nice to see you again! I just got back from a business venture and am anxious to get back to.. read more
Anonymous Girl

11 Years Ago

Oh right... Cool will wait for it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

543 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2012
Last Updated on October 6, 2012
Tags: angel, dark, Book


Author

ewest1220
ewest1220

Columbia Falls, MT



About
I have been writing for as long as I can remember. I have been featured in about 4 books, have won several contests for my work and currently have a paperback edition of my works. (Titled "A Winter Wa.. more..

Writing
The Light The Light

A Poem by ewest1220


Black Rain Black Rain

A Poem by ewest1220



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..