Young Women

Young Women

A Poem by Barbara Walker
"

It seems to me that girls are far more into being whatever a boy wants them to be, than they are into learning and loving who they, themselves, are.

"
Oh, the tender hearts of little girls,
how they grow tenderer through the years.
When they should be learning of and loving their soul,
they want a boy to make them whole.
Quickly, they learn of lipstick and blush,
but, they desire more, to have a crush.
They find out what the boy desires and likes,
whether it's sports, cars or hikes.
His likes become her own
and the seeds for constant change are sown.
Ask her what she is all about
and her face reflects her own soul's doubt.

© 2012 Barbara Walker


Author's Note

Barbara Walker
This is my first draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Surely enough, what this poem describes is a reality, though it would be nice if the case were not so. Another very well-penned piece from you.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Great poem. Makes me think of some of my X girl friends. Also makes me question my habit of objectifying women. Like wears the line between apprieciating an attractive woman's beauty and objectifying her? Is the line in a mans mind or in his actions? I don't know. Love your avatar photo by the way. That's hilarious!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Barbara Walker

11 Years Ago

Thank you! My avatar had a line with it you can't see here that says, "You're going to rule my life .. read more
I appreciate this cute poem.
Barbara has perfectly depicted the psyche of a present day girl.
The controversy on whether it is good or bad is another issue.
The personality or sense of dignity of a girl may not develop properly if she considers herself as the doll of a boy.
But,the image of the present day girl has not emerged overnight.The girl has
been groomed to assume such image from the very beginning of their life on the earth.The fables,rites,teachings on manners and etiquette,social or cultural
expectations,stories,movies,dramas all motivate the girls directly or indirectly to learn how to win and satisfy a boy as her savior.Then how a girl will develop her own personalty independent of the boy?
I congratulate Barbara for writing the thought provoking piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow!well written and well spoken, you're right. This is a beautiful poem and I love how you wrote it in pink :)
(As a teenager, I see way to many girls (some my friends) utterly dissapear into boys and forget themselves. It's quite sad.)

Posted 11 Years Ago


A beautiful poem. I raised three daughters. Isn't easy for a young woman. Options are many and mistakes can happen. Need support and love from family. I like the way you made the poem understandable to me. Thank you for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


The last two lines were great!

Posted 11 Years Ago


haha,this is a reality
nice write
=]

Posted 11 Years Ago


For a first draft it's amazing! Lovely style, very good poem that describes very well relationships between people that love each other. It is true that girls tends to like what her partner likes. It's actually a very interesting idea to convey his in a poem!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is something more than a poem or a thought, this reflects the reality of what happens, and very accurately defines what shouldn't happen. There is no doubt about the truth in your words. I appreciate the existence of minds like you have which can think out of the course of plain and steady but blind line. Very nice poem, thoughtful, humble as it grows. Great work overall.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

475 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012
Tags: girls, boys, crush

Author

Barbara Walker
Barbara Walker

Lake Havasu City, AZ



About
I am retired from the Postal Service. I find I write poetry to help myself through difficult times and I have written many poems in response to the chronic pain I've been living with for over 30 year.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I am enough I am enough

A Poem by Marissa


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil